Thread: Taiwan Schools/Teachers

Taiwan Schools/Teachers

Hi there, I am thinking of going to Taiwan to teach english but want to be able to learn martial arts while i am there. I currently learn Northern Mantis Kung Fu and would ideally want to continue and was wandering if anyone knows of anywhere to learn in Taiwan

I am asking because i searched via google and a thread appeared linked to here. Any help is really appreciated.
    Thanks

Since the island isn't that big, a long drive isn't really a problem. I recommend trying to study under Shi Zhengzhong in Tainan County. He is located in Yung Kang city. He's the head of the Northern Mantis system I practice. You can find out more about his lineage and the system on ponglai.com. Also, you can contact k.brazier for more info. He lived in Taiwan and trained under him for a long while.
    "If you practice praying mantis, women will like you."--Shi Zheng-Zhong

Thanks

Hey thanks for the reply - will def look into things - was considering living near Tainan anyhow, now there is another reason to. Dont suppose you know anything about his teaching schedule and cost of lessons do you - its just that my teaching hours may be unpredictable. Thanks

When I was there the adult classes were on Tuesday and Thursday mornings 7-9or 10, and Sunday mornigs 8-12. He had other kids/teenager classes on Mon,Wed,Fri. Sorry, but I don't know the monthly cost of tuition as I was charged a special rate while I was there. I'll tell you that the price is definately worth it. You will be learning from a very good and competent teacher.

Master Shr

Walkaways, here is a link to master shr's bio

www.ponglai.com

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bung bo View Post
    When I was there the adult classes were on Tuesday and Thursday mornings 7-9or 10, and Sunday mornigs 8-12. He had other kids/teenager classes on Mon,Wed,Fri. Sorry, but I don't know the monthly cost of tuition as I was charged a special rate while I was there. I'll tell you that the price is definately worth it. You will be learning from a very good and competent teacher.
    bung bo, what is the work culture like there? I mean, not too many adults in the US could work in a weekday class lasting till 9 or 10. Do regular workdays start later than here in the US?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Work culture is hard work. I would say on an average work day you work 8-5 if your lucky. And then work a half-day everyother Saturday if your lucky. Just like any other industrious asian country...they work hard.

Oso-----I can't say much because I really don't know that much about it. Well, you could teach English at a cram school and not have to go in untill probably 3 or 4 in the afternooon. Shi Zhengzhong's daughter is an taught English at one of the many cram schools and she didn't go to work untill around that time. I don't know about other jobs.....and that is a well-paying job. As jigahus says, they do work a lot.

I wasn't doubting anyone's ability to work hard.

In the US the typical blue collar worker would have a hard time attending a morning class like that since most of us have to be at work between 7 and 8 am

I was just wondering if they started and ended their work day later. I was just reading a book about an island in the Med where they worked 4 hours in the morning, took 4 hours off and then another 4 or 5 in the evening.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I never had a 9 to 5 in Taiwan, always working at Cram Schools for hours like 11 to 7 or even 6 to 9. I also did work some weekends, but I preferred a smaller number of hours per day to allow for daily CMA practice. Generally speaking, I'd say the Taiwanese run on a later schedule than most Americans. I don't know about office workers, but besides my own late hours, the city was often still very lively at midnight or later, even on weekdays. I don't think all those people were getting up at 7 AM the next day, though maybe they don't sleep much. I think they tend to be nocturnal because it's so **** hot during the day, probably more so than Chinese, who think it's so great for your health to be up at 5 AM (especially old people).

Also, I don't think the Taiwanese are really super hard-working as compared to say, the Japanese. They've definitely got the Chinese, "gotta study like mad to get ahead" civil-service exam attitude towards schooling, but they generally seem pretty laid-back. Not Thailand laid-back, but also not workaholic.
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible

That is right on, onyomi. There were a lot of stores, shops, and restaurants/eateries open very late at night and when I was up at 6:30 every morning, everyone told me that I woke up so early. I remember that on Mondays, the whole of the city seemed to move exceptionally slow, lol.

I also thought they worked hard, but were laid back to. Everytime I met someone somewhere they were almost always late. Then sometimes....some places seemed to be open just when they felt like it, lol.

ok, cool. thanks, that's what I was kinda after.

me, I'd prefer to sleep 1am-8am or so and get to work about noon...and quit about 3pm

I remember classes going to about midnight, then we all went out for food and drinks. Master Shi would talk about Tanglang and applications and such. Many times jumping up and showing things right in the middle of the restaurant. Everyhere we went late at night was crowded. But we were expected to be up by six for training, got ruff sometimes.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post
    I remember classes going to about midnight, then we all went out for food and drinks. Master Shi would talk about Tanglang and applications and such. Many times jumping up and showing things right in the middle of the restaurant. Everyhere we went late at night was crowded. But we were expected to be up by six for training, got ruff sometimes.
    This was my experience. Few people were there at 6 though. Shifu would bang on the door to the school, I slept on the patient's table, to wake me up. I had to rush out right away and begin training.

Most of the morning class is composed of mostly college students. The working stiffs make it in the evenings.

I would go kung fu hunting in the parks before sun rise and they were wall to wall people practicing qi gung, kung fu and taiji. After they left it was the next group of Badmington and Karoake. Followed closely by the bird cage walkers and tea drinking chessmen. During the day it was the idlers. In the evening it was the criminals(so the rumors say).

It is a city(tainan) that never sleeps. Some places, like the orange juice stand we used to go to, didn't open for business until 10 or 11PM. And only if he was 'in the mood'

I sure do miss it...

Kevin

15. If you are interested in 8-Step, I would suggest visiting Mr. Zuo Xian Fu. Phone number: 886-2-2933-9651. You can also see some videos of Mr. Zuo performing a couple of forms in the Gallery section of http://www.8-step.com.