Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: student's first fight

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    IMHO fighting with hard contact isn't necessarily important. Take taiji, for example where they have partner forms and a lot of grappling and weapons -- they might not do full contact unstructured fighting, but does that mean they are any less than a school that does boxing or kickboxing?
    any less of a school? Depends on what you are looking for.

Most schools that do a lot of hard contact like boxing and kickboxing don't have a heck of a lot of technique. Combos are about all they really get into. They don't do anything with weapons at all.
    that has nothing to do with inclusion of weapons. muay thai and boxing are weaponless arts, period. And there is plenty of technique beyond combos. When I did train CMA and JKD, we drilled with live weapons and did spar with contact on occasion, though those occasions became more rare as time over the years.

Does that mean that the school with hard contact will beat the school without most of the time? Perhaps, if they don't train well, but definitely not with weapons.

In other words, this argument is kindof moot -- like comparing apples to string beans or something.
    I don't think there's really an argument. we're just discussing the 95 (or 80) percenters.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I don't think there's really an argument. we're just discussing the 95 (or 80) percenters.
    Well honestly I don't know how to fight in a competitive environment with CMA technique. Take sanshou which is mostly fists or throws. How do you spar any standing breaks? How do you spar spade hand strikes? You really don't .

I could go to a TKD school like the one behind my house and do their sparring, but I've done that kind of sparring before. It's pretty boring.

A lot of people say you can fake spade hand strikes, or modify your techniques to be used with gloves but then you are modifying your technique and you have created something else.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Also, your poll wasn't open, so we don't know who all voted for what.
    yes it was, look again.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...lts&pollid=363
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 01-19-2007 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    Well I freely admit that I don't do any sparring or 'fighting'. (Somehow calling a sparring match at a throwdown a 'fight' seems a bit of a stretch as well).

Friend, when the other guy can continue to knock your teath down your throat, elbow your face or break your arm (until you tap) it is not sparring.

Yes, plenty of sparring goes on at Throwdowns. My participation was and will continue to be quite simple: full contact, no rules, to the tap.

Teaching as a "student"

It's very simple:

I need to learn BJJ so I am a student of Renzo Gracie.

My students want to learn to fight and see and have felt that I can with a system they agree keeps them relatively safe... so I teach them.

It's not rare they uncover something in play or online and then teach me. I'm bothered but also proud to say two of the fu(kers recently tapped me. In reality, that's great. I hope they stay with their training after I fly out to my new life on Wed.

In the end, if you don't feel our school is up to par you are in luck.... the head instructor (me) and all of his students LOVE!!!!!! to fight. I will be living in PR but will pass through NYC often. I'll be in Vegas Feb. 6 to 10 and Shanghai late March. I travel a lot and am always willing to compare. This school HAS and will defend itself. Tread carefully.