Thread: Baji & Xingyi

Hybrid View

Baji & Xingyi

I've heard the two following views...

1. Xingyi's Beng Chuan is the most powerful punch in Chinese martial arts (B.K.Frantzis)

2. Baji's punch is the most powerful punch in Chinese martial arts (some other person probably)

I practise Xingyi and so can vouch for the power of Beng Chuan, but how does a Baji player's punch differ in power and quality to a Beng Chuan? Does anyone here practise both styles? Internally are these styles sort of similar? Any thoughts or comments at all?

Many thanks,

S
    Black Mantis

i have been practiceing hsing.i from the honan province .i think there is not any punch stronger than the other it would be on how each person trains and how much that person would train on a certan punch ,if it would be pi.chuan..tsuan.chuan...peng.chuan...poa.chuan..he ng.chuan.

Depends on the size and skill of the practitioner.
    Everyone will have a different perspective on what style has the most oomph.

Both style ares capable of producing alot of raw power, but if I had to choose one it would be Baji.

rlittlejohn: visited your site, saw your photo, and remembered that we pushed at the '06 berkely tournament-- you & i were going for 3rd/4th in heavyweight--you won the match, but i have to say that our match was the most fun of the day--felt like real push hands! welcome to the forum!
    --jeff
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

some would say Zhong Quan in tong bei is more powerful.

altho both xing yi and ba ji have the forward thrust movement of the whole body or qian chong jing as if using a long spear.

xing yi still starts and ends with San Ti posture which is compact and shielding the vitals.

on the other hand, ba ji uses mostly horse riding stance or ma bu, there is big opening and closing or da kai da he.

--

I think the excessive stomping, chansijing, and bodyweight drop (sinking) in Baji makes its punch 10 times more powerful than Xingyi.

Wait, I think Xingyi has this also.

But does Xingyi have elbows???

yep hsing.i has that that to and elbows but they are both very explosive arts

Thanks people, all nice ideas!!

I'm sorry, I don't know ANYTHING about Zhong Quan in Tongbei, or in fact Tongbei at all. Is it a Shaolin system? I'm really keen to learn - could someone tell me what Tongbei's all about!! Thanks,

Of course there is no answer to this post, but I was just wondering if the power generation method is different. My very basic understanding is that both systems rely on 6 harmonies, but Xingyi uses extending and retracting qi that effects the liver. Baji on the other hand focuses on the transfer of weight in order to put maximum power into a certain point. Please feel free to correct ANY of this as I'm not very knowledgable!

P.s. Does this mean that heavy people have a more powerful Baji punch??

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

S
    Black Mantis