Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baji & Xingyi

Baji & Xingyi

I've heard the two following views...

1. Xingyi's Beng Chuan is the most powerful punch in Chinese martial arts (B.K.Frantzis)

2. Baji's punch is the most powerful punch in Chinese martial arts (some other person probably)

I practise Xingyi and so can vouch for the power of Beng Chuan, but how does a Baji player's punch differ in power and quality to a Beng Chuan? Does anyone here practise both styles? Internally are these styles sort of similar? Any thoughts or comments at all?

Many thanks,

S
    Black Mantis

i have been practiceing hsing.i from the honan province .i think there is not any punch stronger than the other it would be on how each person trains and how much that person would train on a certan punch ,if it would be pi.chuan..tsuan.chuan...peng.chuan...poa.chuan..he ng.chuan.

Depends on the size and skill of the practitioner.
    Everyone will have a different perspective on what style has the most oomph.

Both style ares capable of producing alot of raw power, but if I had to choose one it would be Baji.

rlittlejohn: visited your site, saw your photo, and remembered that we pushed at the '06 berkely tournament-- you & i were going for 3rd/4th in heavyweight--you won the match, but i have to say that our match was the most fun of the day--felt like real push hands! welcome to the forum!
    --jeff
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

some would say Zhong Quan in tong bei is more powerful.

altho both xing yi and ba ji have the forward thrust movement of the whole body or qian chong jing as if using a long spear.

xing yi still starts and ends with San Ti posture which is compact and shielding the vitals.

on the other hand, ba ji uses mostly horse riding stance or ma bu, there is big opening and closing or da kai da he.

--

I think the excessive stomping, chansijing, and bodyweight drop (sinking) in Baji makes its punch 10 times more powerful than Xingyi.

Wait, I think Xingyi has this also.

But does Xingyi have elbows???

yep hsing.i has that that to and elbows but they are both very explosive arts

Thanks people, all nice ideas!!

I'm sorry, I don't know ANYTHING about Zhong Quan in Tongbei, or in fact Tongbei at all. Is it a Shaolin system? I'm really keen to learn - could someone tell me what Tongbei's all about!! Thanks,

Of course there is no answer to this post, but I was just wondering if the power generation method is different. My very basic understanding is that both systems rely on 6 harmonies, but Xingyi uses extending and retracting qi that effects the liver. Baji on the other hand focuses on the transfer of weight in order to put maximum power into a certain point. Please feel free to correct ANY of this as I'm not very knowledgable!

P.s. Does this mean that heavy people have a more powerful Baji punch??

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

S
    Black Mantis

Quote Originally Posted by blackmantis View Post
    P.s. Does this mean that heavy people have a more powerful Baji punch??
    All things being equal, a heavier person would have a more powerful <anything> punch.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    All things being equal, a heavier person would have a more powerful <anything> punch.
    My fomula:

Total Punching Power =
    External Strength (muscle size, body mass etc) x
    Internal Strength (if there is such thing) x
    Techniques (including body coordinations and musculoskeletal alignment)

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

some theories;

1. tong bei meaning using your back as extension or part of your arm. there is a saying "one inch longer one inch stronger".

there is Zuan quan. which you open the palm and close it as a fist right before contact. you move a step forward. you lean your back forward and relax or arch the rear leg and suddenly extended. so body moving forward + back leaning forward + final booster/turbo charged from the leg and closing fist. your whole body is the arm from the leg to the fist.

--

2. Ba Ji using the horse stance. there is a final heel up, turn and land or Nian Zhen. this is the turbo charge.

3. Xing Yi some would spiral the fist right before contact.

so which is more powerful, if body mass and everything else is the same.

--

"one inch longer one inch stronger" - Sounds like Choy Lay Fut as well...

I think CLF and Tong bei appear similar due to their long, whippy, swinging strikes generated by their waist. I'm sure there are differences though...
    Check out youtube for Tongbei clips.

I believe the aim of Baji is to develop that special shock power, or explosive power at the moment of impact.
    Power basically exploding in all 8 directions.
    There is an externally hard appearance/feel to this.

I like your equation for punching power, imperialtaichi.

more theories:

6 harmonies are widely used across the styles.

1. Tai Chi, the elbow and the knee, the arm and the leg etc in harmony or aligned. it is how you yield, balance, produce Chan Si and Peng jing/power. etc

2. Ba Ji. you may elbow and knee strikes at the same time, fist punch and low kick at the same time, shoulder and hip Kao at the same time--

attack at 3 levels at the same time or San Pan Lian Ji etc

--

One other additional comment is that baji, at higher levels, the horse stance used in postures changes to a stance we call half horse/half bow. You find this in liu da kai usually the other forms except for xiao baji jia. In xiao baji jia the horse stance is always employed.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao