Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Christian Martial Arts Schools?

I guess the thing I never got is what my parents and Christians really think is going to happen.

The way they talk about it, it sounds like they think it's going to be like something like a cross between a satanic cult or something and 'Charmed' where they are somehow going to manifest demons or something.

Somehow ... nothing like this ever has happened. I mean, I have even gone to pagan ceremonies (Wicca), they have a Sabbat or something, and it's a bunch of people talking about gibberish basically and then all the people who aren't in alcoholics anonymous go and eat food and drink beer.

You have a bunch of people who ascribe a whole bunch of supernatural phenomenon to a religion (Christianity), but I never came across any of it. Christianity was just a bunch of people getting together and talking about some verses, then they go and barbecue and maybe play some soft-ball. There's no water to wine or walking on water or any of that.

Wiccans ... a bunch of people getting together and talking about some verses, mother earth this, that, and then they go and barbecue. Nobody gets struck by lightning or possessed by demons.

Chinese martial arts ... a bunch of people getting together to practice martial arts, and then they go eat Chinese food.

Bottomline is ... I don't understand what people are getting so excited about. If you find somebody that can somehow conjure demons like in 'Charmed' or something, please let me know, okay?

To answer your question...

Sifu Allen ----> two years of seminary.

Teaches a bible study after workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    People say that Christians are intolerants, and someone even said it here. JDK ask for a simple request for some Christian MA schools and he even stated that he is not pushing his beliefs onto people, but there sure was a lot of bashing on Christianity on this thread. So where is your 'tolerants' for JDK or other Christian belief? I do understand that some of the things said about fundamentalists, fundies or whatever, are the fault of the fundamentalists themselves, but that is another discussion that I won't get into now.
    He's posted this issue on several different threads....and he's insulted many of us by posting links to Buddhist/Taoist websites and calling these things "occultic" and "demonic".....using them as clear examples of "darkness" and being allied with "the enemy"....an evangelical euphemism for Satan.

He's trying to pick a fight. I'm not stupid, nor are many of the detractors here. But when an evangelical starts insulting us, we'll get a little miffed now and again. I don't think we're being too hard on him. When you walk into a room and pick a fight, you better expect to have to put your dukes up. He takes his little potshots, then apologizes for offending people in the room. Then he's off to the next board, with all new links. He's done this on several boards. So why should we assume he's good-natured and straight-up?

AND HERE'S THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS POST:

If you want to study a traditional art, you had better respect the traditions of that art. Otherwise, go somewhere else where it's secular and non-traditional. Will you get as good instruction? Probably not. But you won't have to deal with all that "demonic stuff"...

Obviously you don't love traditional martial arts. You want traditional martial arts without the traditions.

Go study TKD, or get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Go study TKD, or get over it.
    Xtians are funny. Some of them are like the guys who have to get the latest gadget, or latest car, and then show it off all over.

I think JKD is one of these folks. He's found a new toy so now he's showing it off all over and banging it over everybody's head.

Give him a few years and he'll probably mellow out a little bit.

The things that don't make sense to me in a person's quest for "Christian" martial arts are:

1) If your religion abhors violence and encourages pacifism and universal love, why learn to fight? Seems to be a failure to live up to the full tenets of the religion...

2) If the martial art is the product of "satanic" cultural influences, isn't it inherently tainted? If so, why study it? Just because the overt "satanic" influences are removed doesn't necessarily remove the covert influences...

3) If someone, regardless of religious background, wants to study martial arts, why are they so thin-skinned when faced with minor confrontation? An aggressive attacker is going to be far less polite and tolerant than a mob of perturbed internet posters...

4) If someone, regardless of religious background, wants to participate in a given activity that, on its surface, is offensive and contradicts that person's religious indoctrination, why work so hard to change that activity into something more philosophically/religiously palatable? Why not just find something else more in line with their beliefs?

From my perspective, people like this guy just want to dilute and cheapen what I enjoy for their own agenda-pursuing reasons. If he doesn't like what I (and others) are doing, he can find something else to do. I don't have to change, modify, or otherwise eliminate aspects he doesn't like just to please him. And he really doesn't have the right to ask that anyone do so.
    Matt Stone

Prayer = silence = Dao = nature

Holy spirit = Buddha nature = Qi

Let Go Let God = Dao Mimic Nature of Daoism = Drop it of Zen.

Why make so many man made differentiation?

Back to silence via Let Go Let God.

Peace

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Why not learn from the man HIMSELF?
    it actually looks like he's pushing them towards each other to get them fighting...

cjurakpt Guest
    People say that Christians are intolerants, and someone even said it here. JDK ask for a simple request for some Christian MA schools and he even stated that he is not pushing his beliefs onto people, but there sure was a lot of bashing on Christianity on this thread. So where is your 'tolerants' for JDK or other Christian belief?
    the tolerance is that no one disputes his right to post his comments; intolerance would be censuring him, or otherwise inhibiting his ability to express his opinion (e.g. - physical harm); BTW, any religion that inferes that anyone not following their tenets will face eternal suffering upon death, strikes me as fundamentally intolerant moreso than not...

Buddhist wants to reach a point of nirvana (or whatever the word is) where they can reach a point of immortal, instead of being reincarnated as a person or some animals depending upon the deeds they have done while they are here on earth.
    not quite: the point is to stop the cycle of re-birth not to become immortal, but to reach a state of true emptiness; in Buddhism, immortals / gods are thought to be engaged in the same cycle as humans, but with less chance of reaching enlightenment because of their status (thy've got it too good in a way to be motivated to work towards Nirvanna, as opposed to humans who are born "just right" for cultivating it - not too hard, not too easy); anyway, it shoudl be emphasized that in all liklihood, these are metaphorical descriptions of a the situations in which we find ourselves daily: so, can we "empty" ourselves of ego in order to respond appropriately to a given situation, or do we rely on preconceived notions? if the latter, we are stuck in the cycle of death/re-birth, we are not truly free; when we reach a state of emptiness / no-mind, we are free from the habitual paterns of action/re-action that cause us the suffereing we experience...

when entering a gray area, you can use apostle Paul's advice about food offered to idol in 1 Cor. 8 as a guideline. However, don't use 1 Cor. 8 as an execuse to cover up your conscience. The main point is what is your conscience telling you and just follow your conscience.
    ugh! this is exactly what will create conflict: instead of seeing something for what it is, one looks through the filter of an "authroity" for guidance; if you can't figure out how to do that, you have internal conflict; if by using the authority to address the situation you inadvertantly cause the other person suffering, then what? often you feel justified because you adhered to your principles;
    and to be honest, it's almost always a gray area; if it's just using your conscience, (whatever informs that notwithstanding), then why the need for scripture refernce in the first place? the bottom line is that, as humans, we necessarilly act like SOB's to each other for many reasons: the hard part is to see that directly and not operate out of that...

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    then why the need for scripture refernce in the first place? the bottom line is that, as humans, we necessarilly act like SOB's to each other for many reasons: the hard part is to see that directly and not operate out of that...
    Anyways, whatever ... I think people will find ways to lie to themselves no matter what and rationalize things for their own personal gain ... otherwise Christians wouldn't have gone around during the Crusades killing people like crazy and during the Inquisition slaughtering people and stuff.

I mean, a Crusade to take back the 'Holy Land'. What in all of the Bible would they use to rationalize such a thing??? Forcing people to follow their religion or die -- what would they use to rationalize that? I have no idea.

Christains

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    Xtians are funny. Some of them are like the guys who have to get the latest gadget, or latest car, and then show it off all over.

I think JKD is one of these folks. He's found a new toy so now he's showing it off all over and banging it over everybody's head.

Give him a few years and he'll probably mellow out a little bit.

I couldnt help notice that you posted Xtians...instead of CHRIST-IANS.
    Why is it so hard for you name the name of Jesus with respect...I am just curious.

Anyways...I have been in ministry since 1977...so it is not a passing phase or a "toy" to me.

I am not trying to "bang anyones head"..as I have posted this at least twice now.

I am always in search of Truth

JDK
    "It's not WHO'S right...its WHAT'S right" Truth Comes from many Sources
    so try and disregard WHO is saying it..and explore if WHAT is being said has any Truth to It.
    [

Jesus was a Buddhist, anyway. What's the big deal?

Half of the stories about his life are clearly "borrowed" from the life of Siddhartha Guatama, including his wh0re disciple, the sojourn in the desert and the temptation of the Satan (Mara).
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 01-22-2007 at 09:50 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

man JDK

gwan gong is gonna kick yo @55!

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    I couldnt help notice that you posted Xtians...instead of CHRIST-IANS.
    Why is it so hard for you name the name of Jesus with respect...I am just curious.

Anyways...I have been in ministry since 1977...so it is not a passing phase or a "toy" to me.

I am not trying to "bang anyones head"..as I have posted this at least twice now.

I am always in search of Truth

JDK
    Since 1977, eh? I use Xtians when I think somebody isn't really a Christian. I have met very few people I consider actually Christians. To quality to be a Christian IMHO you have to a) not bang your religion over anyone's head b) not judge other people as being somehow 'evil' or 'bad' because they're not Christian ("judge not lest thou be judged." c) not be so concerned with church and the outward appearance (forms) of your religion.

Just the fact that somebody calls it a 'ministry' refers to being more concerned with church and outward forms and prosthetylizing. We used to go on Tuesday nights to 'minister' to people ... which meant bothering them by ringing their doorbells and then talking their ears off about some book.

My Godparents were a perfect example of Xtians. They were constantly 'ministering', which meant they were constantly banging their religion over people's heads, bringing it up in every aspect of conversation, making it impossible to be around them if you weren't Christian.

I had a friend from Christian school and high school that IMHO was the example of a good Christian. He read the Bible, he tried to pratice its tenants, he didn't worry himself with what other people were doing and he could actually eat lunch and hang with regular people without bringing up Jesus 15 times during the course of the conversation or saying, "Those people are bad because they don't go to Church."

So let's just say 'WHATEVER' ...
    Last edited by lunghushan; 01-22-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Talking

You know guys I figured out what this JKD guy is ranting on about - I think.

You see he must have gone to an un-named JKD school (he must love the training there for whatever reason) which we all know uses the Yin Yang logo as designed by Bruce Lee to represent his philosophy. The JKD style must have been the last resort of Kung Fu training place for our friend here as it is quite Americanized "Kung Fu". Now we all know that our friend claims to be an Evangelical Christian minister; thus, there is a conflict of interest because of the logo's symbolic tenets. The real issue isn't really about whether as a born again Christian should or should not take up martial arts but that it's not "cool" for a Evangelical Christian minister to go to a JKD school with that particular logo. So to be religiously and politically correct (no seperation of church and state business), our friend JKD has to come up with a way to keep his Kung Fu practice for whatever reasons plus keeping his ministerial status (good pay check and benefits right?) and not to bear the wrath of the Evangelical possy of youknowwho.

Com' on, man be a man and tell your "Godly" community that I am an American first and foremost and I have the freedom to practice martial arts for such freedom is guaranteed by the Constitutuion and Charter of Rights. I (you) will deal with God when the time comes. It is not the Evangelical possy's business, so bucker off people. See it's not that hard, my friend.

Why can't you tell the truth? It's not that difficult to figure something like this out. But never mind, we understand what the Evangelists are like sadly. Anyhow, good luck and may your God be with you.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

yeah well general kwan is still angry.