Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: need an honest answer

need an honest answer

For all the so called kung fu martial artists out there...can anyone give me an honest answer???

By now I am sure most of you have heard enough stories about how skillful and incredible some kung fu masters are and that kung fu skills can over come external forces coming from bigger opponents etc...you get my point. so my question is for all the greatest kung fu masters and martial artists from all over the world including yourself, why haven't any kung fu man (mantis, tai chi, hung gar, shaolin, choy lay fut, wing chun, xing yi, ba gua, jkd whatever etc...) able to use his skills in the MMA (Mixed Martial Arts tournament) or the Ultimate Fighting Champion??? Is it because of the size, strength, speed or fear or lack of skills or what? Please if anyone can give me an honest answer I would appreciated. And I am sure some of you martial artists out there would like to know too....thanks you for your time and honesty!

Ironcu.

need an honest answer

For all the so called kung fu martial artists out there...can anyone give me an honest answer???

By now I am sure most of you have heard enough stories about how skillful and incredible some kung fu masters are and that kung fu skills can over come external forces coming from bigger opponents etc...you get my point. so my question is for all the greatest kung fu masters and martial artists from all over the world including yourself, why haven't any kung fu man (mantis, tai chi, hung gar, shaolin, choy lay fut, wing chun, xing yi, ba gua, jkd whatever etc...) able to use his skills in the MMA (Mixed Martial Arts tournament) or the Ultimate Fighting Champion??? Is it because of the size, strength, speed or fear or lack of skills or what? Please if anyone can give me an honest answer I would appreciated. And I am sure some of you martial artists out there would like to know too....thanks you for your time and honesty!

Ironcu.

need an honest answer

Ironcu.

need an honest

Ironcu.

need an honest answer

Ironcu.

need an honest answer

Ironcu.

The kung fu VS MMA debate. that is a BIG worm can. have fun with this one.
    Imo I think 1. somepeople feel they have nothing to prove. 2. some peoples skills really are not as good as they think. 3. others feel the few rules that are in mma will take away from their ability or bag of trick if thats what you wanna call it. Personaly I've never seen any kung fu used in UFC / Pride.

I't seem like it's gonna be a decent converstion. but... well you'll see
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

Because they don't let us use swords

Come on ironcu, the last thing we need is someone to post the same old thing over all the forums. It'd be much better if you just jumped into one of the many CMA vs. MMA flame wars. Don't be such a nooB
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Because Kung Fu is too deadly.

Personally, I don't compete because I have no interest. If I did, I wouldn't be at that level of fighting anyways. So as far as competing in the UFC or Pride, those guys are superior atheletes. They're professional fighters. How many professional atheletes do you know?

As far as local MMA tournaments, there are wing chun guys doing them all over the place and some are winning.

We have a guy at our club who has just started fighting and he's had about 3 or 4fights winning them all by knock out in the first round. He took gold in some comp. and then was invited to fight -I think it was in Bermuda- and knocked out 2 guys there.

He's a local guy doing alot of training but nobody has heard of him.

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

Try not cross posting the same thing in every single section of the forum. That's usually a good way not to get an answer at all.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Working on it.

One of my goals is to eventually train someone to go into the UFC or PRIDE and win!!! (It won't be me - as I'm already 56 years old). But there's more that needs to be said about this...

Firstly - wing chun is PRIMARILY a standup striking/kicking INFIGHTING system...and few wing chun people are willing to recognize that what this means is as follows: MORE LONG RANGE WEAPONRY IS NEEDED. (Which is why I've married some boxing moves and footwork to Traditional Wing Chun principles - as a means of getting to close range effectively - as well as by using some strategies and techniques to achive this end that already exist in TWC).

Secondly - fighting in the clinch with some Thai moves (knees and elbows) is important.

Thirdly - grappling in the clinch and on the ground is also very important (so I cross train in Catch as catch can wrestlng).

Four - training, cardio, strengthening, and conditioning has to be intense - including lots of bag/mitt/shield work.

Five - live hard contact sparring/rolling is a must on a regular basis - against quality opponents and sparring/rolling partners.

There are some people within the wing chun world who are doing these things - but not many, as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 01-17-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcu View Post

Ironcu.
    below are some examples of some ufc champs with traditional martial arts backgrounds. even though they all train mma i would think theirbackground would influance what they do ...

george st. pierre
    Kyokushin

chuck lidell
    Koei-Kan Karate-Do

Anderson Silva
    Tae Kwon Do

Andrei Arlovski
    Sambo

Hironaka Kuniyoshi
    Judo black belt

Gerard Gordeau;
    savate black belt,
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

There are many reasons why not. And not everyone who is into CMA end up having the same goal. They may initially start with the same goal but after a number of years of progress, they realize there is more to CMA than just fighting.

Part of the answer is the fact that when one reaches a certain level in any MA, they have nothing to prove to themselves nor to anyone and elect not to enter such events. One realizes that learning CMA is more than just proving that one is able to kick butt. There are qualities that CMA develops and or improves in individuals that are often overlooked such as character building, make oneself a better person, realizing that conflct can be resolved rather than fighting, that winning is not always the right answer.

ironcu, you have been warned

Please note the warning on your sparring partner wanted thread.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Like Jet Li said in Fearless "The true battle is with one's self"
    I myself have no reason to enter competitions, and I guess I take after my teacher in that regard. He is probably the most dangerous person I have ever met, but he is also the nicest. He is always smiling, and will walk away rather than fight. After a certain point, you know what you are capable of, and don't need to cross hands anymore, or avoid it to spare others injury.
    I guess MMA events are a good proving ground for techniques, but I get lots of fighting in my club where we focus on the aspects of our style.

Edit- I do know of a high level taiji master that is assembling a group of students to train for the UFC. His goal is to have a taiji only fighter win in the UFC, and if you've seen this guy, you can believe it's possible.
    Last edited by Jingwu Man; 01-17-2007 at 11:44 AM.