Thread: Scott's Judo log

Hybrid View

Scott's Judo log

I have been keeping this log elsewhere, but I would like to start keeping it here. I am going to copy and paste the old posts from the place I used to keep it. From now on I will only post it here. I would like any feedback others have in regards to Judo/the log. I will try to find a site that illustrates the grappling techniques the same way www.judoinfo.com illustrates the judo techniques.

Background: Just switched from TMA to more sports based martial arts about a year and a half ago. Prior to December (graduation) I had no time to train at a martial arts school. Now that I belong to a martial arts school (and also train with the University of Pittsburgh Grappling Club) I want to record my progress and learning.

Places I train
    www.southhillsjudo.org
    http://www.pitt.edu/AFShome/s/o/sorc.../html/bjjclub/
    http://www.pitt.edu/AFShome/s/o/sorc...tml/grappling/
    The latter two I will generically label "Pitt Grappling Club"

At the South Hills Judo Club there are various teachers for Judo. There will be an instuctor profile page on their website soon. The BJJ instuctor is Bobby Palumbi
    He also teaches at Pitt sometimes. There are other teachers at Pitt also.

The style of this log is inspired by one of my teachers, Jimmy. He keeps the most detailed and informative accounts of everything he learns. I really feel it's useful for training the mind.

12/13
    Went to my first Judo class at www.southhillsjudo.org
    it was great! I also got a gi. So Class went:
    Warm Up

Randori

Technique
    worked on transitioning from failed techniques to other attacks.
    tomoe nage that failed into an ankle pick and drop opponent to the side.
    kata garuma failed to something that looked like a double leg takedown.

when opponent bends knees to avoid get thier left ankle with your right hand and thier right ankle with your left, spread their legs and drive backwards.
    We also did some weird choke that I didn't like very much.
    In randori I actually met an old friend of mine there who is a black belt. We were paired up, he took it pretty easy on me and showed me a few things.

In ippon seoi nage while stepping in pull the sleeve grip back like looking at watch, other arm goes under the arm, bend at knees and get hip under his, you dont need to grab with the hand that is under the arm you are pulling. He also told me (and I should already know) not to cross feet during randori as it becomes easy for opponent to trip you up then.

12/15
    went to Pitt's Panther Grappling Club
    Judo:
    uchi mata:

I had trouble coordinating everything. Step in with right (not too far) left foot behind right kuzushi by pulling opponent forward while lifting them, get hip below theirs while staying not too bent, not too streight, lift up with the hip look to the other direction.
    Then we did a technique i can't find or remember the japanese name, the english name is hand wheel. We did it as a counter to opponents uchi mata: opponent steps into uchi mata, grab leg material of gi scoop em up and drop them.
    what I remember continued:
    we also did rolling armbar from knees and standing.
    *Armbar from side controll, hard to get with good opponent
    *shrimp then bridge to create space to get your knee through
    * both of these armbars were executed with one leg in the front of the opponent and the other in the armpit. we went over other things but I can't quite recall.
    Free Rolling
    I rolled with one guy I never rolled with before, we rolled a while, I got some sweeps, one out of the scarf hold (which is a problem for me) but he ended up getting me in a kneebar.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 05-18-2007 at 05:04 AM.
    Bless you

12/18
    Went to the South Hills Judo Club. After warmups and ukemi went over
    ouchi gari:

kazushi opponent downward, step in with right foot then bring left foot behind, reap with the right leg (by brining hips through) and take it to the ground. Then we did ouchi gari and the opponent moves their leg so we pivot right foot, step left foot behind towards opponent, pulling their arm across our chest and gripping their gi behind their head with other hand for uchi mata:

Points to remember:Best to pull arm across high, get hips below opponents, scoop and look.

We did some other drills. One of the black belts (also named Scott, I don't know his last name) told me the basics of judo physics: If you want to throw them backwards, kazushi them on their heels, if you want to throw them forward, kazushi them on their toes.
    No judo next week, I'm upset, then also no class the monday after.

1/4
    went to south hills judo club after a pretty intense warm up we did ne waza, starting from different positions (turtle then guard) and then did a back to back free roll. I did okay, tapped to a collar choke once. I thought I was doing great because I got rear mount a few times, but that wasn't so great because it was judo and rear mount doesn't count for anything. After that we did drills with 10 fits then one throw for: Ogoshi , osoto gari, ippon seoinage, and tani otoshi
    then we worked a drill of okuriashi harai stepping three times to the side with uke, lifting them up each time, on the third stepturn hands like wheel and with a streight leg sweep through both feet right above the ankle.

After all of this Randori. I got one good ouchi gari
    a higher belt gave me some advice "try to get inside controll". Will work on that in the future.

1/5
    Went to Pitt grappling club. Did a ton of ab exercises at the beginning of class. Then went on to Judo. First went over Osoto Gari
    Kazushi arm grip (left side) down and RIght hand high on collar across (almost like hook punching their jaw) to get them on their right leg, then reap. Next was O Goshi Pull opponent in get hips lower than uke by bending knees. Oh, and theres a step across in their somewhere. pop up and look around. On the ground covered americana and kimura from side controll.
    Americana
    After takedown in side controll, opponent trying to use elbow in hip to gain space, use hip to pin it down (kind of sprawl the hip on that arm). Use head to help leverage thier other arm down. after pinning the arm down, change grip if necessary, slide the other hand through, if it cannot go at the elbow then slide it through by the wrist and then down. To eliminate space have hand on top of hand, then take thier elbow towards thier hip (this makes it much tighter) and raise up. If they streighten the arm, get the thumb facing up, change grip one arm below the elbow to hyperextend (armbar effect).

Kimura from side controll. Opponent is grabbing accross you. Once again use head to help leverage down arm. ONe hand on top grabs his wrist, the other hand comes under his arm and figure four grip your own arm. step leg over head (or arch back) and drive the arm behind the opponent.

Sorry for my very poor descriptions.

Also rolled with three people
    First person Long haired guy (don't remember his name he's also a white belt) I got 2 submissions via armbar.

Then rolled with Randy . He pretty much schooled me the whole time, but also gave me some advice. He had me in the scarf hold, I tried to bridge him over unsuccessfully, he told me immediately following the bridge to shrimp to the other side to create space and get legs through back to guard. He also told me in a rear naked, I was rolling the wrong way, use the hand as an arrow for the direction to roll into the guy.

Third person I don't remember his name also (I know he can speak spanish) neither of us had submissions. I spent a great deal of time in good positions and I attacked more.

1/8
    went to south hills judo
    Warm ups
    Ne waza
    frist drills to keep guard/pass guard
    Collar chokes, GRAB DEEP both hands palm facing away or both hands palms facing in, or one and the other. For rear naked with a gi, slide fingers through deep along their neck and grab gi deep.
    Learned a sweep.
    pull opponent down in your guard, get your head to the outside, reach accross to grab his gi's back material, use one leg to trip his leg and the other to push on the other side (either push his leg over or push off)

Learned a guard pass
    pin opponents right leg down with your left elbow/hand and raise their left leg up on your right shoulder, slide your head under and keep opponents left leg with your left arm (in this position if you grabbed the head its like a cradle) to prevent them from escaping.

Another idea for judo competition if you can't get past thier guard, slide out the back door (go back)
    Uchi comi (spelling?)
    I only did ogoshi to try to get good at it. We could have done more throws during this practice if we wanted to. To improve my ogoshi I need to: Pull while stepping, remember to look at my watch (left hand) so that I'm pulling high enough, step both legs streight in between their legs, get low-my butt should be on their thigh. Then we did 10 actual throws.

Randori=me getting owned *a black belt saw someone turn into me without commitment, he told me to do osoto gari next time.
    It was a very good class.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 01-18-2007 at 07:22 AM.
    Bless you

1/10
    Went to Pitt Grappling Club and South Hills Judo
    Pitt:
    Went over how to shoot. 4 steps: 1 drop 2 penetrate 3 other leg 4 turn corner and drive. This was the first time I ever learned how to shoot properly. I didn't absorb it too well.

Then we went over ways to block a shot. 1 hands 2 forarms 3 sprawl.

Some ways to break posture of an opponent in your guard. 1 Do a crunch (move legs in) 2 grab the elbows and pull 3 arm drag 4 pulling the head.

Went over pendulum sweep with gift wrap (from guard). Two on one arm drag, sit up behind and hug opponent, with foot in hip angle as if attacking with armbar (to get the gift wrap when opponent pulls arm back get it), right arm under their left leg, swing your left leg up then down. The result is you in mount with the gift wrap (use your weight to keep it) pin opposite arm down with your knee. We acted like we were going for choke to armbar.

Then, from mount we used the giftwrap to get rear mount. Put right foot by opponents hip, go off to the side and roll below them, your hooks are basically in.

After the Pitt practice Frodo and I went to the South Hills Judo Club
    Warm ups

Ne waza. Drills from turtle posistion.
    On to walking Uchi Comi

I did O goshi going backwards. I need to remember when pulling with the left hand to have it up and "look at the watch". I also need to bend my knees and get my hips really low.

For the forward walking uchi comi I did ouchi gari Once again I need to get low.

On to Randori. I actually didn't get tossed too much. I blocked a few ippon attempts by just puttin all of my weight on their lower back, kind of sprawling, we both went down but I was on their backs (it happened with two people). I got two throws, weren't really judo though. The one I got a side body lock and picked the guy up and dropped him. The other I got one leg, lifted it in the air and sweeped the other. I'm just happy I wasn't completely owned.
    1/11 - probably won't do anything due to working too much.

I haven't made it to the gym this week for any lifting. I am thinking about a program of conditioning rather than strength. I want to up my endurance for activities such as Judo and grappling. I want to keep weights as part of this, but I want to also be able to do my conditioning with just bodyweight if I can't make it to the gym for some reason. I'll keep this log posted with any details.

Nutrition wise I've been pretty good lately. Not eating so much sugar (no sugary treats at all) and trying to keep the eating clean. I've been buying skim milk and whole grain products when I can. I've been eating some fatty foods, like bacon, but nobodys perfect.

1/12
    Went to Pitt Grappling Club, Bobby taught.
    Scissors sweep.
    Open guard and shrimp back a little. Grab his right sleeve with my left hand, grab his right lapel with my right hand, pull him back and onto my right leg (left leg on ground to block his right leg). Use scissor motion of legs for the sweep.

Americana
    Grab collar (as if to go for choke) so opponent will block, press the arm down with the right hand. Pin arm down with left hand. slide the right hand under and get your grip. lower head down and move the elbow towards the hip. Raise to complete.

We did some X guard stuff but I just kept working the basics.

Rolled with three people.
    Phil- completely owned me

Warren- beat me by positions, he constantly attacked and I managed to avoid all of the submissions.

Ryan- Submitted him once by armbar, controlled him the whole time.

1/15
    Went to South Hills Judo Club
    went over
    Harai Goshi
    if the opponent resisted then we went to
    Ouchi Gari
    Get them on one foot during kazushi. Use hip to circle leg through. Stay on balls of feet.

Randori- got some good throws and got thrown also. I got the same throws on everyone. Ouchi gari and Osoto Gari.

Groundwork. Bobby from the Pitt Grappling Club is now teaching BJJ at the South Hills Judo Club.
    armbar from guard
    1 Break down arm 2 foot in hip (not too wide) 3 leg across back (breaking them down) 4 swing leg over (thumb up, press knees together) 5 raise hips

from failed armbar to triangle

they pull arm out, grab gi around shoulder to secure them down. Get your left leg over the head. Push their arm accross. readjust your feet if you need to. Pull down head and raise hips.

From failed triangle to armbar.
    they posture back. Push their head down and leg over.

This progression was from attacking their right arm, to the triangle, to the left arm.

Kimura from guard.

Opponent is lazy or offbalanced so they post on the mat. Sit up reach over and grab opponents wrist. Reach over and figure 4 grip you own wrist. Get perpendicular to your opponent with one leg high on their back. Bend the elbow (can be greater than 90 degree angle) and push back. If you are perpendicular, keep theri hand on your thigh when beggining to extend.

We then did some ne waza randori.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 01-26-2007 at 05:54 AM.
    Bless you

1/17
    Went to South Hills Judo.
    Warm ups
    Uchi Comi with

Seoi Nage

Then Uchi Mata

We drilled both of those throws walking then stationary.
    Uchi Mata tips: High pull, step deep, pull them to you, chest contact, grab gi behind head.

Ippon Seoi Nage tips: pull them to you, low hips, don't bend to far, don't get my shoulder in Uke's armpit trap his arm with my arm.

Ne Waza
    review of what we did Monday (1/15) armbar to triangle to armbar.

After class did a circut of V ups, puch ups, and bw squats.

* I checked the book Kodokan Judo by Jigoro Kano out of the library. From the initial impression it doesn't seem all that great. If I learn anything from it I'll post it here.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 01-18-2007 at 08:04 AM.
    Bless you

I may test for Judo Yellow belt next week. I will need to show that I can perform these techniques:
    De ashi Harai

Hiza Garuma

Ogoshi

osoto gari

kesa gatame (linked below)
    http://judoinfo.com/images/osaekomi/hon_kesa_gatame.gif

and

kata gatame (arm triangle).

On Monday (1/22) my teacher will go through them with me and I will test wednesday.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 01-19-2007 at 12:51 PM.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    I may test for Judo Yellow belt next week. I will need to show that I can perform these techniques:
    De ashi Harai

Hiza Garuma

Ogoshi

osoto gari

kesa gatame (linked below)
    http://judoinfo.com/images/osaekomi/hon_kesa_gatame.gif

and

kata gatame (arm triangle).

On Monday (1/22) my teacher will go through them with me and I will test wednesday.
    that's all you have to know for yellow? my test was bigger than that. hiza guruma is one of my favorite techniques. Good luck on the test.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Another great book to check out is "Attacking Judo" and any book in the judo masterclass series.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Went over how to shoot. 4 steps: 1 drop 2 penetrate 3 other leg 4 turn corner and drive. This was the first time I ever learned how to shoot properly. I didn't absorb it too well.
    a proper shot is very technical and much harder than people tend to think. They always envision a tackle, which is nothing like a shot. Heck, mine SUCKS, and I am a pick up guy.

On to Randori. I actually didn't get tossed too much. I blocked a few ippon attempts by just puttin all of my weight on their lower back, kind of sprawling, we both went down but I was on their backs (it happened with two people). I got two throws, weren't really judo though. The one I got a side body lock and picked the guy up and dropped him. The other I got one leg, lifted it in the air and sweeped the other. I'm just happy I wasn't completely owned.
    1/11 - probably won't do anything due to working too much.
    for the ippon attempts, on a really hard, committed turn - and this applies for ippon, harai, and pretty much all other turning throws, I like to counter with a sacrifice throw called tani otoshi. It works like a charm for me. As for picking him up and dropping him, look up sukui nage, ushiro goshi and ura nage. Did it look like any of those?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Seven, thank you for all of the feedback! For the yellow we also have to know breakfalls and some other stuff, have a minimum number of hours met, and the instuctors need to agree you're ready.

1/20
    Went to the South Hills Judo Club for a training session (not a formal class). Rich, Phil, Kimmy, Miguel, Kevin, and myself were there. We did Uchi Komi for Osoto Gari and O goshi

For Osoto Gari: This movement is at an angle, not streight back. Kazushi, pull right lapel grip towards uke's chin, left sleeve grip down, make chest contact (once again at an angle), Their weight should be on their right leg, right foot comes through for the reap.

For O goshi: DON'T STEP TOO DEEP, bring them to me, low, lapel grip pulls upward towards the end.

After this we did ne waza. Miguel submitted me by armbar. Kimmy submitted me by collar choke. I pinned Kevin. Rich pinned me and I pinned him. End of practice.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 01-21-2007 at 12:01 PM.
    Bless you

Anytime, man. Keep up the good log.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

We did some other drills. One of the black belts (also named Scott, I don't know his last name) told me the basics of judo physics: If you want to throw them backwards, kazushi them on their heels, if you want to throw them forward, kazushi them on their toes.
    definitely. there are 8 directions of offbalance, try to become proficient in one technique for each direction. kazushi is everything.

but that wasn't so great because it was judo and rear mount doesn't count for anything.
    unless you can get the tap before you guys get stood back up.

Uchi comi (spelling?)
    uchi komi

I only did ogoshi to try to get good at it. We could have done more throws during this practice if we wanted to. To improve my ogoshi I need to: Pull while stepping, remember to look at my watch (left hand) so that I'm pulling high enough, step both legs streight in between their legs, get low-my butt should be on their thigh. Then we did 10 actual throws.
    It should be on the outside of the thigh for this throw. Don't forget to get your hip outside of them.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter