Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott's Judo log

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    Uchi Komi and throws for:

Sumi Gaeshi
    I love this throw as well. It can be hard setting it up though.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I love this throw as well. It can be hard setting it up though.

I have never landed it in randori, but don't really try for it.
    Bless you

5/22

Pitt Grappling

We just rolled.

I got my ass kicked by everyone.

Bryce. Told me when someone gets my back try to go down away from them. He said don't use the hands to extract the hooks.

Norman: Got good positions on him and a sweep or two. Took his back once.

Bobby: When somebody triangle sit up through.

Brandon: beat me up.

Jimmy: beat me up.

Good session.

I got a private with Bobby tomorrow
    Last edited by bodhitree; 10-16-2007 at 04:47 AM.
    Bless you

I won't make it to S. Hills Judo tonight, I have to go out of town unexpectedly on business. Too bad, I could use the practice before Saturday. Hopefully I'll see you at the Kumite Classic this weekend.

Jeff
    the "other school" guy

Hey man thanks for dropping in! If you have anything to add about any classes, techniques, or rolling sessions please do. See you at the tournament.

Scott
    Bless you

5/23

South Hills Judo

went over tai otoshi

I need to keep my lapel hand in tighter. Phil said I was trying to muscle it around with my hand wide.

Went over Ashi Guruma.

Similar to Harai Goshi.

Randori- I don't remember much of the details

BJJ- no gi

Fireman's carry.

fireman's carry to kesa gatame.

Fireman's carry to kesa gatame and an armbar. From kesa, post on far arm, bring near knee up on uke's chest (while holding deep on uke's close arm). Bring your other knee up. Have your far arm controll the hips so uke can't sit up. Pinch knees, puch up hips, pull back.

Rolling

Jason (visitor from Florida)- got me once with an armbar

Randy- submitted me but I kept moving with him well

Jeremy- submitted him with a rear naked and an armbar

Good session

I have decided not to go down to 160. I have already lost 15 lbs and will just maintain to be in the 160-175 class. I was 185lbs a month ago. Just maintinence till tomorrow (we can weigh in the day before at this tourney!)

This was probably my last practice before the tourney. After the tourney I'm going to my friend's birthday/ufc party.

I'm really excited for saturday!!!!!!
    Bless you

I feel your pain on the weight. I weighed myself on a doctor's scale this morning, and it looks like my home scale is about 5 pounds light, so I have to cut 3 lbs by weigh-ins tomorrow, unless I want to roll with the really big boys(bigger than I am, anyway). Bleah.

Your point about me trying to muscle stuff for which I don't have position is very well taken. I'll keep it in mind.

See you on Saturday.

Jeff

well you know strength is obviously something you've worked hard to gain, just make sure to use it to its maximum effectiveness. See you at the tourney (I'm excited!)
    Bless you

Weighed in for the event! I weighed 161lbs, a month ago I was 185, I was hoping to be at 160. I'll be in the 160-175 division, which is okay (compared to the 175-190). Tiger claw was there. www.tigerclaw.com was writen on all of the staff neckbands.

I will update!!!!
    Bless you

Thumbs down I'm so disappointed in myself right now

I lost both my gi and no gi match. I lost the gi match by points, the guy pulled guard, in the last minute swept me and got mount. In the no gi match I gave up my back and the choke. I'm very disappointed in myself. I've lost every match I've ever had in a tournament. I am down and depressed.
    Bless you

take it as a learning experience. Invest in loss. Better to lose on the mat and win on the street.

Here is a hl vid of the guy who beat me (and placed in the division) at the Kumite classic. I'm the first person you see him facing, the one he pulls guard on, then sweeps (with the hip bump sweep) and goes to side mount then mount. He beat me by points. From the vid it looks like I tap to the armbar, but I got out of that. He was aggressive and tried quite a few subs (armbar, triangle) but I escaped all of that.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CDDKPrmpR9c

Any critiques/advice welcomed.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 05-28-2007 at 10:21 AM.
    Bless you

5/30

South Hills Judo

Osoto Gari

Then a combo

Osoto Gari change directions to Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi

For Sasae: Step body out of the way, One hand pulls high the other pushes, Block at the ankle.

Randori

Randy: Got him with a tani otoshi he also threw me.

BJJ

What Eddie Bravo refers to as Old School (sweep) from half guard. From half guard grab uke's ankle that is not entangled in half guard. Come up to your knees and drive uke to his side.

Eddie Bravo's Plan B Previous sweep didn't work, get underhook on leg and sweep to the other side.

Taking the back from half guard. High underhook and clear uke's arm.

Rolling

Rolled with Tom- Traded positions, me in Tom's guard a lot, I need to work on my passes.

Rolled with Andrew- He submitted me with an americana, maybe something else (don't remember)?

Rolled with Jimmy- Submitted me also with an americana, he said he can tell I'm improving.

Rolled with Julian- Got him once by armbar (from mount), once by rnc. I did a step around his open guard that he said was cool. I supprised I caught him in those submissions, he wasn't his usual self.

This was Bryce and Randy's last practice in Pittsburgh. Gonna miss those guys!
    Last edited by bodhitree; 05-31-2007 at 08:21 AM.
    Bless you

5/31

Panther Grappling Club

Wrestling!

Good Stance: legs facing streight, knee over foot, shoulder over knee, head up, hands lower than in Judo or boxing (to block shot)

How to shoot: From good stance, Drop level, penetrate forward.

Pummeling

Pummeling to bearhug

Pummeling to bearhug walking them back takedown: Shoulder in solarplex, shoulder that is forward leg comes forward and drives backwards.

Lateral drop from over/under clinch

Hip throw from over under clinch (similar to Ogoshi or koshi guruma)

Japanese ****zer (similar to Ippon Seoinage)

High Crotch to bodylock, pick up to drop opponent on stomach.

Drills for suplexes, but we don't have crash pads so we didn't do any.

I'm meeting a friend so I had to leave before the free roll.
    Bless you

6/4 South Hills Judo

Koshi Guruma

I was getting my hips outside of uke's thigh, one teacher told me to be right in the middle, I didn't feel much of a difference. I need to consistently get lower.

Block the koshi guruma with the hip, if uke comes in on your right side, block and buck with the left hip.

Randori

Chris: He was stiffarming a lot. I got a tani otoshi on him.

Julian: launched me a couple times with Morote Seoinage. A couple times I went for an Uchi Mata and Julian backed up, Phil told me I need to follow up with an Ouchi Gari. I'm going to practice that in my footwork during my shadow Uchi Komi at home.

In this log I rarely discuss conditioning. I don't lift weights because I don't really have access to them. I am trying to do a lot of shadow uchi komi, jumping rope, riding bike, and high reps of bodyweight exercises. I have resistance tubes at home that I use for uchi komi also. Shrimping, bridging, and coming to base are also things I do regularly. I'm also adding duckwalks (shots) to my practices. I figure sport specific movement are great tools. I quit lifting when I started judo (in December) and my strength has definately went down, but my technique and stamina have improved. Flexibility is also a goal of mine. I do motion stretching as a warm up. I also try to do static stretching at the end of every practice session (whether solo or at a class). I wish I had it in me to wake up early and do some road work before work. I really love my sleep. I will try to do that

Ne Waza: Worked on a basic guard pass. Getting guard broke and getting BOTH arms under uke's legs. Go to one side.

No ne waza rolling.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 06-05-2007 at 04:35 AM.
    Bless you