Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott's Judo log

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    I lost both my gi and no gi match. I lost the gi match by points, the guy pulled guard, in the last minute swept me and got mount. In the no gi match I gave up my back and the choke. I'm very disappointed in myself. I've lost every match I've ever had in a tournament. I am down and depressed.
    it happens. that's part of competing. you learn a lot about yourself when you lose, and you are actually somewhat fortunate - you lost from the get go. My first ever judo shiai was the state championships, in which I placed second. I won several kickboxing matches. I was on a roll. My first loss crushed me, literally. I was down in the dumps for a while, because I didn't think that I was supposed to lose. You really look at yourself when this happens and analyze what you are doing right and wrong, and try to eliminate the holes you find in your game. In the end, you will be a better fighter and person for it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

5/23

South Hills Judo

went over tai otoshi

I need to keep my lapel hand in tighter. Phil said I was trying to muscle it around with my hand wide.

Went over Ashi Guruma.

Similar to Harai Goshi.

Randori- I don't remember much of the details

BJJ- no gi

Fireman's carry.

fireman's carry to kesa gatame.

Fireman's carry to kesa gatame and an armbar. From kesa, post on far arm, bring near knee up on uke's chest (while holding deep on uke's close arm). Bring your other knee up. Have your far arm controll the hips so uke can't sit up. Pinch knees, puch up hips, pull back.

Rolling

Jason (visitor from Florida)- got me once with an armbar

Randy- submitted me but I kept moving with him well

Jeremy- submitted him with a rear naked and an armbar

Good session

I have decided not to go down to 160. I have already lost 15 lbs and will just maintain to be in the 160-175 class. I was 185lbs a month ago. Just maintinence till tomorrow (we can weigh in the day before at this tourney!)

This was probably my last practice before the tourney. After the tourney I'm going to my friend's birthday/ufc party.

I'm really excited for saturday!!!!!!
    I love the fireman's also (kata guruma in judo) but I have a much harder time pulling it off without the gi.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Here is a hl vid of the guy who beat me (and placed in the division) at the Kumite classic. I'm the first person you see him facing, the one he pulls guard on, then sweeps (with the hip bump sweep) and goes to side mount then mount. He beat me by points. From the vid it looks like I tap to the armbar, but I got out of that. He was aggressive and tried quite a few subs (armbar, triangle) but I escaped all of that.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CDDKPrmpR9c

Any critiques/advice welcomed.
    couldn't see a whole lot, since the clip was short, but be more aggressive. Notice how the guy in the black gi resisted being pulled into the guard - you just kinda fell into it. Same thing with the hip bump - shove him back down, don't just wrap his waist and let him bump you over. I know there are like 243982345 different guard passes...when you posture up, do they teach you to put your knee in his tailbone? Give it a shot. Good job, keep it up.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Thanks for the replies. I agree with your assessment of the match, and that's the first thing I thought about the hip bump. I was working the knee in tailbone, the guard game lasted longer than that short clip will make you believe.

I appreciate the words.
    Bless you

Scott, if you want to add something quick (but painful ) to your conditioning routines, try Tabata Intervals. Ross Enamit has a great article on them here. Be warned though, Tabata burpees, or squats are a b**ch.

Quote Originally Posted by pittfrog View Post
    Scott, if you want to add something quick (but painful ) to your conditioning routines, try Tabata Intervals. Ross Enamit has a great article on them here. Be warned though, Tabata burpees, or squats are a b**ch.

I actually do interval training with jumping rope and burpees. I love rosstraining.com and rossboxing.com, both are great quality resources. Are you coming to Judo tomorrow night?
    Bless you

Not sure. I'm out of town right now on business. Reading stuff and posting to kill time. Depends on what time I get home. 3 days of no training sucks

I actually do interval training with jumping rope and burpees. I love rosstraining.com and rossboxing.com, both are great quality resources. Are you coming to Judo tomorrow night?
    yeah, ross is great. I've got a couple of his books.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Speaking of Books I recently got

The Path to Athletic Power
    by Boyd Epley

and

Dan Gable's Wrestling Essentials Standing Position
    Video by Dan Gable

Both seem really good, I'll write a more comprehensive review later (edit: review is there).

Sorry nothing from Martial Arts Mart Gene
    Last edited by bodhitree; 06-15-2007 at 05:08 AM.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    couldn't see a whole lot, since the clip was short, but be more aggressive. Notice how the guy in the black gi resisted being pulled into the guard - you just kinda fell into it. Same thing with the hip bump - shove him back down, don't just wrap his waist and let him bump you over. I know there are like 243982345 different guard passes...when you posture up, do they teach you to put your knee in his tailbone? Give it a shot. Good job, keep it up.
    I agree with your assessment that I need to be more aggressive. I am going to try to make that a priority in training. I am too reactive and not proactive enough.
    Bless you

6/6

South Hills Judo

Hit the clubs weight room before class. Did Squats (with only like 60lbs on the old style {light} bar). Did 5 sets of 10-15 explosive and atg. In between squat sets did dumbbell rows with 45lb dbs. Just enough to get a good sweat before class. Gonna try to hit the weight room before every Monday and Wednesday class.

Class, Phil taught

Warm up, ukemi, then:

Koshi Guruma

A koshi guruma counter:
    When Uke comes in with koshi guruma, block with your hip, step around and Ogoshi

Did a whole lot of Uchi Komi for a wide variety of throws, some for technique, some for speed.

Ne Waza

Hip Bump sweep

If hip bump doesn't work

scissors sweep

Ne Waza Randori

Chris- Can't remember

Tom- Traded positions, he took my back and I got out of it, can't remember any submissions

Scott- big guy, got me in side controll really quick. I escaped to half guard and eventually full guard but could not sweep him over.

Standing into ground randori

Jeff (pittfrog)- owned me with an awesome choke (anaconda). He got it sprawled on top of me after an attempted shot.

Brandon- He got me with a good Ogoshi and I countered a couple attempts at throws with Tani Otoshi, once for a pin.

I was super tired during the randori.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 06-08-2007 at 09:21 AM.
    Bless you

Anaconda Choke

Better explanation than mine .

The comments make mention of this too: if you don't have the arm in the right position, or you can't get lock in tight enough for the submission, crunch/scoot your body towards your opponent after the roll.
    Last edited by pittfrog; 06-07-2007 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks for the link

6/7

Panther Grappling Club

Aaron and John went over wrestling takedowns

Arm drag, step leg inside, while pulling fall to side (your legs are around their near leg), climb on the back.

Failed outside trip (similar to Kosoto Gake) to sacrafice throw (like a lateral drop). You try an outside trip, uke steps back to avoid. Fall to the side and take uke with you. (I'm using Judo illustrations but these techniques were done without a gi)

BJJ Jimmy taught

Went over the brabo choke from half guard.

Went over anaconda choke from mount.

Went over an arm press armbar from side controll. Switch from side controll to kesa gatame to get your leg under uke's arm and go back to side controll. Step leg over uke's head and puch hip into uke's elbow.

Got my ass kicked rolling with the big guys (Josh and Aaron).

Class at Pitt will now be half wrestling and half jiu jitsu. I'm excited about that.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 06-08-2007 at 09:32 AM.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by pittfrog View Post
    Anaconda Choke

Better explanation than mine .

The comments make mention of this too: if you don't have the arm in the right position, or you can't get lock in tight enough for the submission, crunch/scoot your body towards your opponent after the roll.
    it's like an inverted version of judo's kata ha jime

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Thumbs up

hey bodhi,

great log man you go into a lot of detail and the links etc are really good...

unlucky on the loss, but losing is the best thing in the world 'cos they just TOLD you what your weakness is and what you need to work on. thats the most valuable info you could get bro

i watched the clip, you're the 2nd guy right? the 1st just got armbarred straight away? its a HL and all edited up but... anyway from my perspective/game i would try to be more mobile with the hips, when he goes to pass, scoot hips out and attack (guillotine/kimura/armbar/triangle/sweep basics), so im fighting more of my side than flat on my back. of course im 99% no-gi and im trying to play a mobile guard game too. your probably better than me anyway

pity this isnt on the training&health page i may not read this so often