Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott's Judo log

Quote Originally Posted by stricker View Post

i watched the clip, you're the 2nd guy right? the 1st just got armbarred straight away? i

Thanks for dropping by. I am the first and second guy, I escaped that armbar.

ORA just seemed like the natural place for a judo log.
    Bless you

6/11

South Hills Judo

Judo hour, Julian taught.

Morote Seoinage

Getting low is important on this one. When I was uke the tori was so low his butt was hitting my knee, and he launched me.

Seoi Otoshi

Like Tai Otoshi with a ippon seoi grip.

We did two variations, one stepping in and back like a regular Tai Otoshi, the other stepping more directly in front.

Randori

Brandon- Threw me once, I didn't throw him.

Tom- No throws, I sprawled on a single leg attempt of his.

Chad- Got me with Osoto Gari towards the end I got him with a Kouchi Gake

BJJ hour Bobby taught

2 minutes scissors sweeps

Uke is in your guard gripping your belt- A Grip Break-

Grap uke's sleeve and figure 4 with other hand. Put your foot in the hip and pull accross.

A Choke

Same grip break as above. Take uke's arm up and around your head and overhook it deep, grabbing the opposite sides lapel with the overhook hand. Feed the lapel deeper with your free hand. Swing your legs over, push with your legs and pull the lapel material.

You can't choke uke. So, on the overhook side with your other hand, grab uke's shoulder material to hold him down. Swing your legs around for a triangle choke.

From the overhook, a pressing armlock by hipping up (sometimes it works as a compression lock on the tricep rather than attacking the joint).

Rolling

Julian- Submitted me once with Ude Garame, I took his back once.

Paul- I tried to be aggressive and stay in good positions, I took his back once. He got out of that and got me with an armlock.

Pittfrog- He had all of the good positions, I managed to avoid the choke when he had my back.

Fun Practice.
    Bless you

For the armlock--Bobby came over and gave a few of us a good tip:

As you're hipping up, and pressing on the shoulder with the opposite hand, you want the pressure on the shoulder to be out towards your hip, not down towards your and uke's feet.

Quote Originally Posted by pittfrog View Post
    For the armlock--Bobby came over and gave a few of us a good tip:

As you're hipping up, and pressing on the shoulder with the opposite hand, you want the pressure on the shoulder to be out towards your hip, not down towards your and uke's feet.

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't understanding the armlock the way I'd like to. We were practicing it lower (on the elbow) and it seemed to work better that way for us.

I really liked the choke we learned, although from the same overhook there is one that's probably a lot easier.
    Bless you

06/13

South Hills Judo

Went over Ogoshi.

Went over Tani Otoshi as a counter to Ogoshi.

Carl Showed some chokes.

Lapel chokes with palm up grip, palm down grip, and alternating.

A choke similar to the crucifix choke. The difference was you put one leg over the head and pushed it one way and pull the lapel the other.

Jimmy went over posture in guard (in his own words).

Went over the knee in tailbone guardbreak For pictorial learners.

Finished with near knee guard pass.

Rolling starting from standing.

Jeff- took a long time to get to the ground, I think he may have choked me once, can't remember the details.

Jimmy- got me with a rolling armbar, told me I was too stiff when standing. Got me in a triangle the next round.

Keylin (sp?)- Got me with an ude garame that I tried to fight out of for a long time, my shoulder is paying the price today.

Bluebelt guy (name?)- I was getting him off balance during the standup, he pulled guard, eventually he got me with an armbar.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 06-14-2007 at 08:12 AM.
    Bless you

6/14

South Hills Judo

Bobby taught no gi BJJ

Self Defense BJJ

Headlock defense

When uke grabs you in a headlock controll the arm they would punch with. Break their grip. Step in front of them and do a Ogoshi or Ogoshi grip Tai Otoshi (if the guy is big having the wide base and your leg outside blocking his will make the throw easier).

Headlock where you can't break their grip.

Push forward on them. When they brace themself hit a Tani Otoshi. After getting them to the ground, step over to mount and crossface them to break the headlock. Take the arm and armbar.

Half Guard Sweeps.

From the lockdown position with double underhooks, uke sits up to try to pass. Sit up with him, take your far hand and cup it around his knee, push with your other arm while this pulls. Pin his far leg to avoid getting stuck in his half guard.

That doesn't work, come to your side, remove part of your hook and use it to twist uke's leg back, his leg does not want to bend that way. With your double underhooks roll him away.

Rolling

Scott- took his back, kept his posture broken down while he was in my guard. He had sidemount a time or tow.

Borris- He submitted me twice. I got a hip heist sweep on him. I was agressive but Borris is a wreslter who is really quick.

Good Practice.
    Bless you

6/18

South Hills Judo

Throws going down to the crash pad

Osoto Gari

Ippon Seoinage

BJJ

Drilled
    armbar from guard
    scissors sweep

Guard Passes

Tripod on head and pass either lapel (wrapped aroun uke's arm) or uke's arm/sleeve under uke to other side. One side is immobilized, continue to pass on that side.

If you pull uke's arm under you can get a chicken wing.

Passing the guard to armbar. Keep you far underhook but walk around uke with near hand to opposite side, hug arm and finish.

Rolled with Chris: I took him down with Uchi Mata. We rolled for a while and I did pretty good. I took his back a couple times, did a scissors sweep, and armbarred him. After getting my ass beat so much recently it felt nice to actually do good.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 06-21-2007 at 04:30 AM.
    Bless you

South Hills Judo

Went over:

Harai Goshi

De Ashi Harai

Okuriashi Harai

BJJ

Jimmy Taught:

Review of guard breaks.

Uke tries arm drag, trap one arm, step up on that side pivot back and proceed to shake the guard off.

Bull Fighter Guard Pass: Press in on uke's legs, when he pushes back pull his legs down, C step around to knee on belly.

Leg on Shoulder Guard Pass: Pin opposite leg down, head up, move on your toes (not knees), come around to side controll.

Drilled guard v guard escapes.

Rolled

Chris: No submissions either way

Chris: (middle, trained with him in my kung fu days) No submissions

Pittfrog: No submissions, had an overhook with lapel material on other side, didn't get to do anything with it. Gave up side mount to him.

Keylin: Submitted me twice.

Good practice.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 06-21-2007 at 05:33 AM.
    Bless you

6/21

Bobby taught BJJ class

Guard Passes:

Both hands under, grip belt and pull uke's upper back in the air, reach across with one hand and grab collar deep, drive in until leg is on the other side of head.

We added a choke to the end of this: After you pass keep your lapel grip, grab the near shoulder and pull down towards uke's hips, with the lapel hand push the elbow up at an angle.

Defending when uke goes for these passes, shrimp with elbows on mat, get legs over his arms and in his thighs.

A choke from there: grab deep on opposite collar, reach opposite arm over and under your own elbow, pull it up.

First guard pass we went over, you can't get lapel grip: Grab sleeve, lift uke up by the belt, get your far knee on his side, when uke comes down step other leg over head, you have an armbar.

Rolled with

Paul: He crushed me, I was aggressive and trying for stuff though.

Phil: Avoided a deep triangle, he got me with a collar choke, I was too concerned with passing the half guard and got caught. He also got an armbar (and maybe more on me).

Jimmy: Crushed me. Told me to work on posture when standing in guard, good posture, arms in.

Chris (old CMA friend): I got him with two armbars from mount, got a couple sweeps.

Good practice.
    Bless you

6/25
    South Hills Judo

Judo and BJJ

walking uchi komi for: Morote Seoinage, Osoto Gari

Harai Goshi

Sumi Gaeshi

Randori

Keelin- kept single legging me (he has wrestling experience)

Tom- He countered an uchi mata attempt with a tani otoshi.

BJJ

Drilled Hip Sweep, shrimp out of mount (to guard), bridge and roll.

Self defense, bear hug from rear arms free: Drop hips and wrap your leg around outside of uke's. Put your hands on ground, let go of wrapped leg to pull uke's leg out, results in uke being on his ass. Drop down on his knee or twisting foot lock.

Side Controll:

Drill for controll while moving around. Put hand on uke's hip to prevent him from following you, keep your weight low on uke the whole time, go around to other side.

Paper cutter choke:
    From side controll, your hand that is closer to uke's feet comes to uke's near side, grabs gi material near the shoulder (this helps controll that arm). With the other hand grab uke's far side collar material. Pull shoulder material down and angle across with forarm. This is a wind choke. KEEP WEIGHT ON UKE CONTROLLING HIM!

We did this last week, I didn't know it was called the paper cutter choke:
    A choke from there: grab deep on opposite collar, reach opposite arm over and under your own elbow, pull it up.
    Choke from collar stepping leg over and pulling on collar.

Chad was tested for blue belt. He wrestled everyone for one minute, some more than once. Bobby determined starting position. We started with me having Chad mounted. He shrimped to half guard, I passed to side controll and tried the paper cutter choke, I gave him enough space to get half guard back.

Chad did great, it was a brutal test. Congrats to Chad for his promotion to blue belt!

Rolling after class with Chris: I got him with a triangle, I had the giftwrap (arm across face) from back, he managed to get back into my guard, I jumped triangle and having controll of the one arm made it easy.

Good practice!!!
    Last edited by bodhitree; 06-26-2007 at 07:43 AM.
    Bless you

6/27

South Hills Judo

Walking Uchi Komi for

Ippon Seoinage

Osoto Gari

Okuriashi Harai

Worked on Kouchi Gari.

Standing Randori:

Donnie: Grip fought a lot, I felt I got to good grips faster, He did a drop seoi and I held on and put hooks in, he hurt his leg.

Chad: We attacked, no throws.

Borris: Single legged me a lot, I landed a Koshi Guruma that he reversed on the ground, Phil informed us I would have got the point for it.

BJJ- Phil Taught

Side controll work (maintaining, escaping from, drilling, etc.)

Rolling

Phil- beat on me

Borris- beat on me

Tom- no submissions either way

Good practice.
    Bless you

6/28

BJJ- Bobby taught

Drill- moving from one side side mount to the other, using the arm to block the hips from circling.

Side controll, uke swims under, trap his arm, pin his lower arm with leg, step to where his head is between your legs, kimura to him on his side.

Uke grabs belt, rip it forward, not up to break the grip.

This still doesn't work: Grab all the way through to you lapel with your arm that is closer to uke's legs. Swing to an armbar.

Side mount escape, uke has 2 on one (like he's going for americana or kimura), put that arm in his throat, other hand in his hip, push up and hip up, get your knee through and work back to guard.

Rolled with one guy, no submissions either way, he used a lot of strength and I did a lot of weathering the storm.
    Bless you

7/2

South Hills Judo

Moving uchi komi for:

Morote Seoinage

Ouchi Gari

Worked fits and throws for Morote Gari

Worked promise throws while moving, alternating with partner, only working on one technique. I choose morote seoinage.

Crash Pad throws going to the mat with opponent, I also choose morote seoinage.

For Morote: Pull sleeve higher!

BJJ

Side mount escapes:

1. Push and bridge, then shrimp you knee in, work back to guard.

2. Superman punch, get you arm under their far arm, punch back while bridging, you can take their back from here.

Drilled sidemount and sidemount escapes.

Rolling:

Pittfrog: Kicked my ass!

Keelin: No submissions either way.

No practice Wed due to July 4, drats
    Bless you

7/9

South Hills Judo Club

I didn't make class last week due to the holiday and work.

Worked on Te Guruma

Worked on a throw which I don't know the name. Grab over to their belt and with the other hand grab their leg. Lift them up then block the leg. Good for if they are bending over.

Randori

Jeff: Double legged me

Paul: Tossed me

BJJ blue belt guy: Double legged me once, I kouuchied him

Jordan: Double legged me (seeing a theme here?), I got an Osoto Gari.

BJJ

Warmed up with Chokes and armbars from guard

Worked from the turtle position

Getting hooks in: Pull up on belt or stand on thighs.

Turtle turnover: You are on one side of turtled uke. Wrap your arm around his near arm, grab his far leg, roll your head through (similar to a 'tilt' in wrestling).

Turtle to armbar: Once again wrap uke's arm. Reach you other hand through his legs and grab belt or low lapel, pick him up and let him roll out, armbar the close arm.

Rolled

Keelin: No submissions that I remember

Chad: I got caught with a gi choke, did pretty well against him though.

Phil: kicked my ass

Chris: I armbarred him

Nice practice
    Bless you

7/11

South Hills Judo

Uchi Komi for a ton of throws.

Randori

vs. BJJ guy: threw him with this throw
    Worked on a throw which I don't know the name. Grab over to their belt and with the other hand grab their leg. Lift them up then block the leg. Good for if they are bending over.
    only success I had all night in standing randori, rest of the time got tossed around.

Phil- Tossed me a few times

New guy tossed me with Ippon Seoinage.

BJJ

Breaking uke's grips on your lapel, figure 4 grip around uke's arm, drag arm all the way to the side.

Collar choke from back. If uke fights you can trap one of his arms with one of your legs.

Cross collar choke from back. You are going for the standard rear collar choke, uke is defending. Pass the lapel to your other hand, come around and underneath, grab uke's shoulder material. Choke.

Escaping from rearmount.

Keep elbows in. Get one hook out and pin the leg down. Cup the other side and get hook off, act like you're going to roll to the side the leg is pinned, change directions and roll into other side, your face driving uke backwards.

Drilled keeping rear mount vs. rear mount escapes

Rolled

BJJ guy- no submissions, I had some good positions

Paul- kicked my ass

I'm having trouble getting anything in Judo randori. I need to attack in combinations more. I get dominant grips sometimes and can't do anything with them. I guess I should move faster after getting those grips. I'm unhappy about where my judo is at.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 07-12-2007 at 08:06 AM.
    Bless you