Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott's Judo log

7/16

Judo

Grip fighting

Breaking the sleeve grip by pulling up accross the chest then ripping down

Breaking the lapel grip by pulling it it and then pushing off with the thumb at the other hand

Grip fighting randori

Randori

w/ Chad- no throws either way

BJJ

Drilled hip bump sweep and kimura

Open guard-spider guard

Pendulum sweep from spider guard- you have sleeves with your feet in uke's biceps- take one foot out of bicep to the ground to block uke's base, pull with that side.

After the sweep keep your other foot on uke's bicep, take the armbar

Leg trip sweep when uke stands in spider guard- uke is standing let go with one hand and grab uke's near foot, place that sides foot in between uke's legs, blocking the opposite leg, place the opposite foot in uke's hip. Push with foot in hip, pull with foot behind leg.

Triangle from uke standing in your spider guard-start with pushing and pulling to get uke reacting, when the moment is right get one leg under and one leg over.

Rolled with Chris- he got me twice with arm triangls (kicked my ass he did).

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to go to practice for the rest of the week due to work schedule

It may be good to heal my thumb (which I hurt last week during randori). Hopefully
    Bless you

Sorry to hear you're not practicing for the rest of the week. Congrats again to your wife on her new job!

Quote Originally Posted by pittfrog View Post
    Sorry to hear you're not practicing for the rest of the week. Congrats again to your wife on her new job!

Thanks, I appreciate it! See you Monday!
    Bless you

I haven't trained in a while, first due to work and second due to a 4 day bout w/ da sheeits. I still want to train, but I don't think judo/bjj would go good with diareah. That could be a potential explosive situation. I quit one of my jobs so I will have more time to train soon (unless graduate school gets in the way of that).
    Bless you

back once again

7/30

Judo

Grip fighting

Tsurikomi Goshi use lapel arm to push yourself down/ uke up. I bent my arm and ended up doing Morote Seoi.

Sode Tsurikomi Goshi- I liked this throw! Pulling with same sleeve hand but accross and with the other leg forward.

Randori

Pitt guy- I tried going from uchi mata to ouchi, Rick said I didn't kazushi and my hands didn't do anything.

Phil- threw me every which way

BJJ

Arm drags from guard

Arm drag to- Take the back

Arm drag to- roll over sweep

Arm drag to- Armbar

Arm drag to- Americana

Rolled with Jimmy- he kicked my ass

Rolled with Tyson- traded positions
    Bless you

8/2

Judo

How to move when you have a grip

sliding and not hopping

pull them with you

move to angles

loose wrists

sudden movements can off-balance the opponent

Mini in house shiai

Jordan- I got an Ippon with a hopping uchi mata

Jeff- Wazaried me twice for the Ippon

Rick- tossed me one good time

BJJ

Drilled armbar from guard

Triangle

Regain triangle when somebody stacks you- put your foot in hip and push yourself at an angle to re-apply

Triangle uke steps up switch to armlock

uke stands up you can't get armlock, roll over grap uke's leg and take him down

Rolled with Chris- traded positions, I took his back, no subs either way.
    Bless you

8/2

BJJ

Kimura class

Kimura from guard- get yourself at an angle to uke, use your leg to hold them down/ stop them from rolling out of it

Kimura- uke defends by going forward, roll to omo-plata. In Omo plata, keep one arm around uke to prevent him from rolling, drive his arm forward, not towards the middle of his back

Defend Kimura from half guard- step your knee over your elbow, place other hand on uke, pull down and rip arm in kimura out

Defend Kimura when you have uke in sidemount- same as above, step around to armbar

Wrestling- Jimmy in the pitt- beat 6 people including myself

Rolling-

Chris- I got three armbars, then I told him when I armbar on top get his elbow down to the mat to defend.

Bobby- fun roll, Bobby is really talented but slowed down his pace and allowed me to make some progress. Tapped me with a triangle and a foot lock.

Chad- Got me with a triangle and a nice combo- Americana-> armbar -> bicep slicer, which he taught me after.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 08-03-2007 at 06:12 AM.
    Bless you

8/6

Judo

Judo Ne Waza techniques

Chokes

Okuri Eri Jime

Kata Ha Jime

Key to all of the chokes is grabbing DEEP!

Pins

Kesa Gatame

Kata Gatame

Yoko Shiho Gatame

Kami Shiho Gatame

Randori to groundwork

Guy who I embarassed to not know his name- nothing really happened

Jeff- took me down with a double leg and maybe something else

In randori one of the things I need to improve is kazushi. I attemt things and Rick will tell me "your hands aren't doing anything". I need to remember to consciously pull on techniques.

BJJ- I was so hot I didn't think I could do the warmups. I just felt a ton of heat coming from my gi.

Half guard

Old School Sweep- Grabbing the foot, pass it to other hand, grab knee with free hand, put uke on back.

Plan B- if above does not work underhook the knee and roll them back in the opposite direction.

Half Guard Pass- pull uke's gi out and pass it under his arm, grab the gi with your arm coming under his head, keep the shoulder in uke's jaw, sit to the side and work the half guard down, put entangled knee to the ground and use the other foot to free your trapped foot.

Class went a bit late so I didn't stick around to roll.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 08-07-2007 at 05:11 AM.
    Bless you

8/8

Judo

Moving uchi komi for:

Osoto Gari

Ouchi Gari

Koshi Guruma

Ippon Seoinage

Randori with Rick: Got tossed around

BJJ- no gi

Half guard series similar to that on monday (8/6)

Sweep: From half guard lockdown stretch leg back, unhook lockdown and take uke's ankle towards his but, this takes away his base, pull the knee of the other leg.

If this does not work roll the opposite way.

In all of this, once you have the underhook, keep your head and body close to uke, don't create space.

Rolled

Newer guy whose name I should know: Rolled, a few sweeps, no submissions.

Jeff: submitted me twice. Good roll.
    Bless you

8/15

Judo

walking uchi komi for:

Osoto Gari

I feel I did good kazushi with my hands, probably need to work on more chest contact.

Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi

Sometimes I swept too high on the leg.

O goshi

I was pulling my kazushi down to my stomach.

Worked on:

Uchi Mata

Then a combo for when uke blocks uchi mata:

Uchi mata to kouchi gari.

Randori:

Jeff: Don't recall any big throws. I think Jeff scored a double leg.

Keylin: He hit a double leg.

Eric: Tossed me once real good, I bowed out early on this match, I was dizzy and my heart was racing.

I sat out of the first part of BJJ

BJJ

Streight Ankle Lock: Go on side so uke can't roll into you.

Kneebar: When passing the guard slide leg accross.

Rolled with:

Forget name (bigger new guy, well bigger than me) I controlled position for a while, in the end he did get mount on me.

Forget name (smaller new guy)- I got him once with an RNC, got some sweeps.

I don't know what my problem is in Judo. I feel I can get to good grips but don't ever do anything with them. Perhaps I need to be moving more from the time I get the grips. I feel I don't kazushi enough during Randori. Even during uchi komi I need to remember the high sleeve pull.

I also had that dizzy spell, I had these a few times in the past few weeks and blamed the heat, but last night was not too hot. I don't get it, I work out, drink plenty of water, don't smoke, eat healthy, and it seems the only activity that gets me like that is judo randori.

I'm generally pleased with my bjj progress. I can see results during randori. My big problem is the judo.
    Bless you

8/16

BJJ

Scissors sweep warm up

Ezekiel (sp?) choke

ankle pick

De La Riva guard sweeps

First sweep- let go of ankle and grab sleeve, bring your inner leg around uke's hooked leg, sit up to standing, basically a single leg takedown.

Second sweep- uke crowds you, get your legs inside and pull their ankles back

Third sweep- similar to first one, except to an angle and with both legs pushin in on uke's knee.

Rolling

Chris- Had good positions, he choked me once with a collar choke

Jimmy- Got me with americana

Craig- Got me once with an armbar, once with ude garame

Bobby- Choked me once

I did pretty good in the standing and even though I didn't get any submissions tonight I felt like I did alright.
    Bless you

MMA practice- my first one

Warmed up shrimping down the wall to a wall stand up, run to other side and repeat.

Armbar from guard drill

mount escapes

Keep elbows in and hands up (to block punches), elbows in front of uke's knees so when you buck uke forward his upper body goes, get one arm and the neck and bridge him over.

Worked that one against the wall (cage) bridging by walking our feet up.

Uke widens his legs for base, shrimp to guard

Drilled mount vs. mount escape

rolled with Borris, Jimmy, and someone I don't know.

Jimmy gave me some extra advice on maintaining mount. From grapevines, foot on hip, raise elbow to get knee under, have your elbow under his, shoulder in chin.

Jimmy also told me to controll the head more when uke is in guard in no gi. I went for a couple sweeps on him that he postured out of.

After practice I hit the bags a bit.
    Bless you

New account name! Wanted my first post to be here. Okay, so, I'll list goals:

To keep practicing judo/grappling 2-4 times a week, more of course preferred.

To improve my techinque in Judo, working on correct form in uchi komi, staying focused and really working that form into my neuromuscular system.

To keep grappling and working on using solid technique.

For fitness: I have been doing bodyweigh + jump rope + classes

when I start school I'll once again have access to weights. I want to start to lift HEAVY again. I hope to do a three day a week weight routine 1 pull 2 puch 3 squat (+ assists of course)

I enjoy lifting for power and since I haven't lifted heavy since december my strength has decreased considerably (technique and endurance have increased)

Of course Grad school and life may get in the way of some of this, but hopefully not for too long....

I'm going to start logging my lifts also, I'll be embarassed by my sad numbers as I haven't lifted heavy since 12/06.

My Old PRs

Deadlift- 345lbs

Squat- 240

Bench Press (db)- very very sad 75lb db in each hand
    Last edited by Scott Meneely; 08-20-2007 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    MMA practice- my first one
    yaayyyy! get in there!!! you've joined the dark side, no turning back

Quote Originally Posted by stricker View Post
    yaayyyy! get in there!!! you've joined the dark side, no turning back
    Ha ha, thanks, I've trained everything in mma before, just not at once At our club the Judo, Jiu Jitsu, and Muay Thai are all seperate groups that train in the same club, a few months ago they decided to have a mixed session on saturdays, with the focus on mma rules. Now there are some guys from other gyms coming to the mma class!

8/20 South Hills Judo

Warm up

uchi komi and throws for

Uchi Mata

For uchi mata I need to work on sleeve pull and getting my hips lower

You attemp uchi mata, uke has narrow base, go for Tai Otoshi
    For Tai Otoshi I need to remember that this throw needs space to work, I shouldn't pull uke on me. I also need to get lower on this one. Rick compared finishing this throw to chopping wood.

Randori:

Kevin- got one kouchi gari

Jordan- no scores

Phil- Threw me around

BJJ-

Warm up with armbar, triangle, omo plata flow drill

Guard pass to far side armbar, yank up on underhooked arm

kesa gatame to mount to armbar- 2 ways

One push arm down post on far arm and kind of jump to mount- one arm is in one out, so if uke rolls you you have an easy triangle

two thead arm under leg, grab sleeve, pull on sleeve and swing your legs over

Rolled with Chris- traded positions a lot, I got the best of the takedowns, he got me with a guillotene choke, I defended for a long time from his open guard, I was stacking him then he rolled me over to mount and finished.
    Last edited by Scott Meneely; 08-21-2007 at 04:07 AM.