Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott's Judo log

did you use the tani otoshi tip I recommended, or was it something else? I love tai otoshi, but be careful with where you block their leg. I blocked right across someone's knee once and they tore ligaments in their leg. You have to be below their knee.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

It was like you recommended, but the situation just made it appropriate, kinda like I just fell into it. Do you know what the technique is called where you cup the knees with your hands and sweep and bump with the shoulder? We went over that but I can't recall the name.

Issues I need to address: I suck at passing guard. When I try if I get an arm under a leg I need to keep my head up to avoid a triangle choke. I really don't know any guard passes, Bobby said we'll work on one Wednesday of next week. He also said guard passes depend on what your opponent is doing, and every situation requires different guard passes.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 01-26-2007 at 08:45 AM.
    Bless you

yeah, there are dozens of guard passes. Can you describe the throw any more?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

1/27 trip to South Hills Judo

4 people including Rick, Phil, Bobby and me attended practice.
    I spent almost the full hour and a half with Rick going over Ippon Seoi Nage from a lapel grip.

Points to remember: Pull the whole way through, like opponents lapel is a seatbelt I want to buckle (analogy courtesy of Rick). Get low, on balls of feet but planted. I worked on getting my left hip on his right thigh. Knees bent to get low, back slightly bent so uke folds onto you. With the right arm, secure bicep around tricep. Look at your pinks and turn while raising up and looking at your pinky. He had me uchi Komi him in front of the mirrors and I feel a lot more confident in my Ippon now then before today.

Rick then had me pull ippon on some innertubes that are tied to bars on the wall, talk about a great and cheap training tool. I'm about to pick some up.

Then we spent a little time on Osoto Gari

Points to remember
    Going at an angle towards the back/left. Chest contact in that direction. Rick's analogy "the chest contact is the gas and the kazushi with the hands is the steering". Turn head when stepping in that direction (to get the full body/energy that direction). Kazushi uke's arm into his back pocket (another analogy courtesy of Rick). Reap with a streight leg all the way through.

Seven: The throw is like a tackle, hands behind knees and drive with shouler, really simple throw, not too technical.
    Bless you

sounds like judo's version of the double leg. It's called morote gari

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

That's it!

1/30
    Went to South Hills Judo, Rick taught the Judo hour. Uchi Komi for a lot of different throws including O goshi, ippon seoi nage, Tai Otoshi, Hiza Garuma, and maybe some I'm neglecting.

Standing Randori:
    Chris, I managed to stuff a lot of his attempts and hit Tani Otoshi (and actually I hit this with a few people during randori).

Rich, got one drop ippon on me. I got him with a tani otoshi and once he pulled me in, I grabbed a leg and lifted it then swept the other leg.

During standing randori I never feel like I can get hip throws, I feel I can't get the kazushi and close enough. It's not easy to pull uke to you.

BJJ hour taught by Bobby.

Went over Americana from mount.

Armbar from mount.
    Uke pushes up on you, put your hands on his chest with all of your weight on them, scoot to right side raising far (left) leg to knee, sit forward to bring over right leg.

If you are attacking Uke's left arm use your right hand to post if he's trying to roll you. You get the most leverage this way.

Uke grips his hands together

Breaking grips. 1 Use your feet 2 Rip back and forth 3 Up and around 4 attack the other arm

Attacking the other arm from failed armbar from the mount
    Uke's grip is too strong, let go.
    Reach uner then deep on the far arm and pull him in.
    Post with your free arm and get on uke's stomach.
    You have the other arm in your hands, what are you waiting for.
    Because of grapping deephis arms are far from his chest so even if he grips it is easier to break those grips.

Rolled with Chris: I did better rolling with him this time than I did the last time. He made me tap once with a collar choke. I controlled the positions a lot of the time.
    Bless you

o goshi and o soto gari can be a pain to land in randori. They are so straight forward that people can simply tense up and stiff arm to keep you away, among other things. When doing those throws, the variations you learn will be valuable, as you will be doing them from a more unexpected angle.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Are you allowed to neckwrap in Judo? Cant remember.

O Soto Gari is my bread and butter takedown. #2 is a hip throw, wrapping the neck.

strike!

yenhoi, they are allowed in Judo.

12/31
    Went to South Hills Judo.
    After warm ups I took the Yellow belt test and passed.
    Went on to Uchi Komi (the rest of the class was already doing this) with 30 seconds of fits and then one throw.

Standing Randori

against Chris: Hit a Tani Otoshi or two. Didn't get much, didn't give up much either.

against Paul: He swept/threw me a few times (he's a black belt) I mentioned I have never scored a hip throw in randori, he said it needs to come from a combo, maybe launch a forward throw first and then use uke's energy in resisting.

Second hour Bobby taught BJJ.

Shrimp out of mount to open guard drill.

Sweep from mount

Uke grabs your collar. Break down that arm and hold it close so uke can't post. Get a leg in to prevent uke from resetting his foot wide. Bump and roll.

A guard break

Grip both lapels with right hand and belt with left. Roll the material in the right hand tight keeping it close and low. Put right knee on uke's tailbone. Swing the left leg out 90 degrees and turn body that way. Push leg down, the guarn is open.

Rolling starting either in guard or with uke in your guard. I had some great sweeps. I did the hip heist sweep a couple times. Didn't give up any submissions. Didn't get any either but I feel I did really well as far as positions go.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi View Post
    Are you allowed to neckwrap in Judo? Cant remember.

O Soto Gari is my bread and butter takedown. #2 is a hip throw, wrapping the neck.

koshi guruma

How do you throw your o soto?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    against Paul: He swept/threw me a few times (he's a black belt) I mentioned I have never scored a hip throw in randori, he said it needs to come from a combo, maybe launch a forward throw first and then use uke's energy in resisting.
    one of the books I mentioned - attacking judo - is all about attacking in combinations. It covers throws, setups for them and follow ups for them. They also cover it to an extent on the judoinfo site - I'll try to find it.

EDIT:
    http://www.judoinfo.com/gaeshi.htm
    Last edited by SevenStar; 02-01-2007 at 10:01 AM.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I searched the local library network for that book, they did not have it. When I have some cash I'll pick it up. I'm new to Judo so hopefully I'll learn the combos soon.

I won't go to Pitt tonight because of a hot date with the wife (symphony tickets). I'm feeling pretty sick also so probably no Judo tomorrow. We'll see.
    Bless you

Yeah, attacking in combos is key. My favorite:

Ko Soto
    Ko Uchi
    O Uchi
    Uchi Mata
    Harai Goshi/Tai Otoshi.

I love this combo because until you get to the Harai/tai, you can pretty much just keep moving between the first four throws and pick whichever one is most available.

Also huge is learning to attack when you have a gripping advantage. If you've got two hands on and he has one, attack! If you have one and he has none, attack!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

How do you throw your o soto?

Usually with a head wrap also, but pretty much anytime I have any sort of grip on the near arm I will try to walk through that near leg, which usually sets up the hip throw or some sort of single leg pick, or a better grip from the side which leads into cowbelling. I have found that as long as I have his weight on the near leg, pretty much any grip/hold will work for o soto. The overhook/neckwrap has always worked hand in hand with the neckwrapping followup hip throw (neckwrap comes from the o soto overhook.)

Im a taller dude. I dont play judo, so I usually just get a good hold and then sit down into side control.
    strike!

No Judo over the weekend or Monday (2/5) due to what I believe is the flu. I'm still pretty sick (2/6) so it's probably unlikely that I'll go to the Wednesday class.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 06-21-2007 at 05:29 AM.
    Bless you