Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott's Judo log

Back in the saddle again

2/15/07

Went to Pitt grappling club (no gi night), first time at a practice in a little over two weeks.

Went over escapes from bad position:

Side controll
    * elbow in hip bridge to create space to get to half guard, then back to guard.
    * Elbow in hip or underneath bridge and roll to turtle position

Kesi gatame
    * Swing legs to one side to create momentum then the other to sit up
    * Catch their leg with yours and roll them over. Unhook the leg while rolling
    * Chase uke until he rides up, change direction and bridge him over

Mount
    * typical overhook sweep, except break down the arm instead of overhook, this prevents them from posting on that arm. Controll head, hook their leg, roll back and at an angle.

We drilled starting in these positions one person's job is to escape, one person's job to keep position. I did better with escapes than maintaining position.

Free Roll

Rolled with Jake. I controlled position for a little while,then gave up my back, eventually I tapped to a choke.

Some other guy. Back and forth positional battle.

Feels great to be back, I feel so out of shape. It's only been two weeks.
    Bless you

my name is Jeff Contraguerro and i got your address from
    Anonomous. We are holding a grappling tourney on May 5, 2007 at
    Hempfield High School. When our web-site and flyer is done, i will be
    sending it out to you. I just wanted to give the local schools and
    clubs a heads up.
    There will be gi and no gi divisions. A person can do one or both. We
    will follow NAGA rules.

Hoping to be in shape for this!
    Bless you

being heavier is not necessarily an advantage. A person needs to know how to use their weight, whatever it may be. In Judo I have the hardest time trying to randori with the little guys because they are short and it's hard to get underneath their center of gravity.
    don't try to get under someone shorter than you, that's usually a losing battle. sweep them and utilize throws that don't require you being under them, like tai otoshi and uchi mata.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thanks, I'm still learning these things.
    Bless you

2/16 Pitt Grappling Club

Jimmy taught.
    Gi night, first half judo.
    Ippon Seoinage
    First we did the standard right side, then we did stepping to the right (as if you were going for osoto gari) and then spinning and doing Ippon to the left side.
    and
    Ouchi Gari

Since you usually land in guard we went over good posture in guard. Head up and back streight. Your arms should not be directly below your head (it is easy to break you down at that point)elbows slightly bent on either uke's lapel, belt, leg, or a combo of these. It is important to pin uke's hips.

Then we went to guard breaks

1. Twisting Knee In Tailbone

From your good posture angle your left leg out to the left. Move your right knee into uke's tailbone. Turn to break the guard. Pin down uke's right leg with your hand and then your near leg.

Continue to pass

With Uke's leg pinned with your left leg, underhook with your right arm (uke's arm), bring your rear leg also over uke's right leg, post on uke's right arm with your left and bring your right leg through first (to avoid getting stuck in half guard). Welcome to Kesa Gatame.

2. Posture and Turn

The first guard break failed to work. Step your right leg up close to uke's hip. Step back with your left leg standing up. Turn. Continue to pass in the same manner as #1.

3. Stacking Guard Pass

Create some space, dig both hands under one of uke's legs (both to avoid triangle). Scoop up that leg come to your toes and press the leg TOWARDS UKE'S HEAD. (push his knee to his nose). Come around from under the leg, gripping uke's lapel.

After this we rolled.

Rolled with Al. Had one pretty sweet thing. Just like Bobby taught it a few weeks ago, I was trying to armbar from mount and couldn't break his grips, so I grabbed deep on the opposite arm, pulled it in, hopped around to the other side and armbarred that side.

Rolled with some guy, traded positions, not much else, he had me in a guillotine and I almost tapped but then it loosened up and I popped my head out.

An explanation of posture while in the guard by Jimmy himself:

Keep your hands in a plane in front of your head. Whenever your hands are in the same plane as your head or behind, then you are off-balance.

Furthermore, keep your arms bent slightly and not like a stiff rod. You want to be able to counter your opponent's attempts to break your grips (in gi and nogi) and get underneath to arm-drag you (both gi and nogi).

Keep you head up. You want to be with your face almost exactly perpendicular to your opponent's body/the mat. This means you will have to look down with your eyes but not turning your head, but that's ok. Bowing your face towards your opponent makes it easier for him to hook around your head (both gi and nogi) or grip your gi (in gi).

Make sure you are pinning his hips instead of just his chest. You have to attack his hips primarily and move them away to break the guard. Also be sure not to take large jumps or be really stiff. You can be strong, but not extremely inflexible with your arms. Stiff arms are easy for your opponent to guide away, but loose and relaxed arms are hard for him to move and is easier for you to counter his motions (like hand fighting). This goes hand-in-hand with not spazzing out. The less of a spaz you become truly, the less rigid your arms will be.

Finally, keep your elbows in. You should feel like your arms are turned inward like when driving a car steering wheel at 9:00 (or less) and 3:00 (or more) or even closer to the bottom of the wheel. If you elbows are facing outward, your opponent can grip them and pull your posture apart. It also helps prevent armbars and triangle chokes. I'm not talking about jamming your elbows into his thighs (a stupid technique) but keeping your elbows from being used as handles for him. Think of this as though you are a little tyrannosaurus with dinosaur arms.

Oh, and for leg position, always widen before narrowing. E.G. If you are doing the knee-in-butt guard break, then you should extend your leg to the side FIRST and then put your knee in his buttock. Doing the opposite narrows your base and makes it easier to be swept.

Michael Jen produces a great DVD called Ultimate Guard Passing which explains these details very well.
    - Jimmy
    Last edited by bodhitree; 03-16-2007 at 07:14 AM.
    Bless you

1/19/07 South Hills Judo Club

*edit above should be 2/19/07

Scott taught the Judo hour

After warm ups and ukemi

throws (tachiwaza)

de ashi harai

Ogoshi

Uki Goshi

On O goshi and Uki Goshi I need to keep my pull high, not step too deep, get lower, and keep my pull continuous.

Tsurikomi Ashi
    First time I did this one, it's pretty interesting. I have to remember to lift for the kazushi.

Hiza Guruma

On to Standing randori. Tips I recieved, don't look down (draw roadmap) and don't be so tense/use so much strength.
    I actually got an osoto gari and an Ippon Seoinage. To get the ippon (on somebody smaller than me) I kept acting like I was going for osoto, I did the kazushi for osoto then changed the direction of the pull. That was the first time I had a successful Ippon during randori.

BJJ hour, taught by Bobby.

Warm up with 2 min of scissor sweeps.

Taking mount from side controll. Keep hips close to uke's. Shoulder drives uke's chin to other side (to reduce mobility). Grab gi material on uke's near leg. Pull leg out (if it is uke's right leg) slide your left leg through. Quickly shoot your right leg over uke's body and through his left leg. You now have mount with grapevines.

Key lock with legs from broken Kesa Gatame. Hard to explain. Keep your head down on uke (to prevent him from using other arm). Act like you are going for a collar choke. He defends with arm that will be attacked. Push down arm and swing leg over it, grab your own shin, triangle legs over top. You can apply the pressure in 3 ways. 1 use your hand to pull the elbow 2 raise your hips/legs
    3 pull his neck towards his elbow.

That one was hard to explain, I'll look for a link to a picture.

Taking the back from side controll. You have uke's near leg gi material and near shoulder. Uke tries to roll to escape. SLIDE NEAR HOOK IN FIRST. Go over get your other hook. Don't be to far over uke, if your are post and push yourself back. You can attack from here or turn him over.

Newaza randori

Against Anthony. He's a new guy. I kept getting kesa gatame, finally got mount and armbar.

Anonomous guy. Got him with armbar from the mount.

Randy. Owned me. He didn't submit me but owned me position wize.

Anthony again. Kept dominant postition and submitted with a rear naked.

I got a little to armbar happy. I was looking for it when it wasn't really there.

Overall, a great practice.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 02-20-2007 at 07:06 AM.
    Bless you

I'm weird when it comes to judo. I am a shorter, more stocky guy, but I have long limbs, so I like long range techniques. I would rather sweep than do throws like seionage and o goshi. hiza guruma is my favorite. I like de ashi harai also.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

It seems we work much more on throws than sweeps. I don't feel I actually know any sweeps really well. One of my friends likes to use them, perhaps I'll ask him to help me out. I'm tall and skinny, with long limbs.
    Bless you

Great blog dude. I've also switched from TMA to a sport MA. I study BJJ.

Keep up the great work.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Chief, thanks.

Tonight I want to try to go for Osoto gari and see if I can change to tai otoshi. It seems natural in my mind, i'll see at practice.
    Bless you

1/21/07

Went to South Hills Judo Club (above should say 2/21)

Rick taught the Judo hour

I was tired and out of it, and my judo sure did suffer. I wasn't getting low enough, my footwork was sloppy,my feet were too far apart, everything was bad.

Did 4 uchi komi and one throw for

Ippon Seoinage

Tai Otoshi

O goshi

Went on to randori

landed a tai otoshi, maybe my parter let me, pretty much owned.

BJJ hour, Bobby taught.

BJJ warm ups, 3 min going from armbar to triangle.

Armbar from the back

You have your hooks in already. Bring your left arm under uke's left arm. Take your right hook out and step it over. Grab uke's left shoulder gi material with your right arm. Roll forward over your left hand, let go of uke's shoulder, finish your armbar.

Attacking the turtle. We learned two attacks.

Streight arm lock.

Uke is in the turtle position. Your upper body is over his your, right knee under him, and your left leg is out giving you good base. Uke is trying to defend his collars. Stick your left hand through and grab your knee. Pull it out. This releases his arm. Never taking your weight off of uke, bring your right arm over his shoulder till your elbow is on the mat near uke's head. Pull back and finish the lock.

Crucifix Choke

We did almost exactly the same way they did it in that article. Point to remember: Thread the collar through with the other hand first to get it really tight.

After this was the free roll. I left kind of early due to being so fatigued. Rolled with bearded guy (I think his name might be Mark). Got him in an armbar. Then I gassed and was just dominated by positions.

Going to use today (2/22) as a recovery day.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 06-21-2007 at 05:31 AM.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    It seems we work much more on throws than sweeps. I don't feel I actually know any sweeps really well. One of my friends likes to use them, perhaps I'll ask him to help me out. I'm tall and skinny, with long limbs.
    Sweeps are good attacks that can be thought of similar to a jab in boxing - it keeps a person from rushing in, because they have to be conscious of the sweep. Also, use sweeps to set up the big throws.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

2/23/07 Pitt Grappling Club

Gi Night
    First went over morote seoinage

Get hips lower than uke's. Good pull, pull him over you. High pull looking at watch. Continuous and turn into the throw. Hey, that sounds like it applies to all over the hip throws.

Drilled it while walking.

Then we went over guard passes, same ones as on 2/16

1. From your good posture angle your left leg out to the left. Move your right knee into uke's tailbone. Turn to break the guard. Pin down uke's right leg with your hand and then your near leg.

Continue to pass

With Uke's leg pinned with your left leg, underhook with your right arm (uke's arm), bring your rear leg also over uke's right leg, post on uke's right arm with your left and bring your right leg through first (to avoid getting stuck in half guard). Welcome to Kesa Gatame.

2. The first guard break failed to work. Step your right leg up close to uke's hip. Step back with your left leg standing up. Turn. Continue to pass in the same manner as #1.

Another Guard Pass
    Create some space, dig both hands under one of uke's legs (both to avoid triangle). Scoop up that leg come to your toes and press the leg TOWARDS UKE'S HEAD. (push his knee to his nose). Come around from under the leg, gripping uke's lapel
    Me-2/16

Drills, one person's job to pass guard, one person's job to keep guard for 2 minutes.

Free Roll

Since there are so many small people at the judo club I chased after the bigger guys. Went with Warren, did surprisingly well. Took him down with Tai Otoshi
    then we traded some postitions, I managed to do pretty good.

Rolled with Phil (different from Judo Phil). Had better positions, no submissions.

Long hair guy, dominated positions. Accidentally kneed him in the mouth. Felt bad.

Little Judo Guy. Owned me completely.

Overall great practice.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 02-26-2007 at 07:50 AM.
    Bless you

2/26/07 South Hills Judo Club

Rick and Phil taught the Judo Hour
    Warm Up
    Ukemi
    Uchi Komi for
    Ippon Seoinage

Kouchi Gari

Harai Goshi

I never did harai goshi before. I really liked it. Keep pull high, at first head towards uke, on his shoulder. As you lift uke turn your head the other way.

O goshi

Osoto Gari

Then we did grip fighting randori.

On to regular randori. I only did randori with Eric. He threw me all around.

BJJ hour taught by Bryce and Randy.

EVEN MORE GUARD PASSES! This is good, I've been to 3 classes in two weeks about guard passes.

Bull Fighter guard pass.
    You are standing in uke's open guard. Press on uke's legs into him. When uke pushes back with his legs step back and pull his legs back (it is good to grip his gi at the knees). If you go to your left step your right leg by uke's right hip and get knee on belly. Quickly change to side controll.

Knee slap guard pass.
    You are standing in uke's open guard. Drop your right knee over his right leg (the far leg). Slide out keeping your weight on uke (your back is on him). Slide around to get to side controll.
    Kind of like this, but when your knee goes down have your back (keeping your weight) on uke.

Another guard pass
    You are in uke's open guard, this time he goes to his hips like he is attempting a scissors sweep. Grip his right knee with your left hand and his lapel with your right. Pin the near leg (his left with your right). Keep your grips, put your head and shoulder on his chest. Take a large back step with your left leg behind your right. Unhook your right leg while pushing his right leg with your knee material grip. This keeps him on his back.

Free Rolling

Rolled with one guy (don't recall his name). Maintained good position untill I made a mistake. He took my back, I avoided the choke and got back to his guard. No submissions either side.

Rolled with Rich. I got one sweep from a bad postion but other than that he pretty much dominated it.

Rolled with Bryce. He absolutely owned me. He got an armbar from rear mount.
    Just like Bobby taught it on 2/22

Armbar from the back

You have your hooks in already. Bring your left arm under uke's left arm. Take your right hook out and step it over. Grab uke's left shoulder gi material with your right arm. Roll forward over your left hand, let go of uke's shoulder, finish your armbar.
    I got owned in Randori and Free rolling. I'm trying to run to the guys who are 1 bigger than me. And 2. Better/more experienced than me.

Don't get me wrong, I like having success against new guys, but what am I really learning. We'll see. I want to compete in May.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 03-08-2007 at 05:43 AM.
    Bless you

beating new guys is essential in your training. Why? because you can tool them. they are your opportunity to work things that you know you won't be able to work on the mor experienced guys. For example, in muay thai my slipping and weaving isn't as good as I want it to be. It's sometimes harder to work that on coach, because if I slip the wrong way, he's gonna capitalize on it and follow up with more shots. The newbies are slow enough that I can dodge most of their stuff, and even if I don't, they aren't good enough to follow up. Consequently, they are perfect for practicing on.

when I spar / randori with someone not as good as me, I pick a specific thing to work - a certain technique, focus on footwork, etc. - and do that for most of the match. At the same time, you notice holes in their game that you used to make. by noticing them, you learn how to exploit them. By telling them how to fix them, you enhance yourself from a teaching perspective, which deepens your understanding.

With the right mindset you can learn a lot from whooping up on the new guys.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter