Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott's Judo log

4/23 South Hills Judo Club

Carl taught.

Went over Ushiro Goshi and ura nage as counters to ippon seoinage.

Bucking with the hips is important in both of these.

Went over Te Guruma

Pull uke's arm accross, get low and one hand around leg, other maintains lapel grip. Dump uke.

Uchi Komi: Koshi Guruma Harai Goshi

Rolled with John (from steel city martial arts) I was in his guard in good posture for a really extended period of time. Eventually I tapped to an armlock, but I was really just tired.

Talked about some things after class. Shrimping and using the elbow to get the leg through in mount.

Went over gi choke: You are in mount, grap the collar deep with one hand. Act like your off balance and post with your other (near the head), let uke roll you. Uke rolls into your guard and more importantly into your choke.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 05-10-2007 at 07:44 AM.
    Bless you

ura nage is an awesome technique. I love it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

4/25

South Hills Judo

Judo

Grip fighting (kumikata, i think?)

Randori

With Paul: Paul got a throw on me, I got him off balance a couple times.

With Donnie: He got me with a single leg and a Te Guruma
    I got him with a Tai Otoshi, and a Sasea Tsurikomi Ashi

Lavante: He's but a little guy, I let him get some throws, I messed around with a few throws.

BJJ

Hip Heist Sweep

Kimura

Guillotene

Rolled for one minute 30 seconds and switched with everyone in the class. I only got taped once by collar choke. I got one armbar.

One month to

www.kumiteclassic.com

I'm doing gi and no gi there. I'm hoping to do a few privates with Bobby prior to it. I bought a bike to increase my cardio efforts.

My Story:
    One black belt tested me and promoted me to orange belt. At the end of class another black belt noticed how I had my belt tied and told me I have to tie it right or he is confiscating it. I don't know how to tie a belt right (nobody ever taught me) and my belt was taken. I don't care about the belt, but sh!t.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 04-26-2007 at 08:39 AM.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    ura nage is an awesome technique. I love it.

I want to see the judo in your log man!
    Bless you

4/28

Rolled with 3 people, got owned by all. John, Jimmy, and Judo guy (also 4 stipe white belt BJJ)

advice given to me: if they have triange, get my elbow around the leg and if my other hand is in, sprawl back and drive that hand forward. From mount shrimp and work for half guard. Worked on half guard lockdown and sweep.
    Bless you

4/30

South Hills Judo

Moving uchi komi

koshi guruma, tai otoshi, osoto gari

Kumikata (grip fighting)

Trying to get sleeve/ normal grip.

Kumi kata with eyes closed.

Randori

Randy tossed me a few times, I got one ouchi gari , and I also sprawled for one of Randy's attempts at maybe a kata guruma or something (which I'll need to do in the no gi comp, sprawl that is).
    Last edited by bodhitree; 05-01-2007 at 06:40 AM.
    Bless you

5/3/07

South Hills Judo

Went over Kibisu Gaeshi
    We went over this with different grips and in different directions.

Randori- standing only- Landed a Tani Otoshi or two. Got thrown around by a black and brown belt.

Randori- from standing to ne waza. Did alright.

No BJJ for the past two weeks at the club. The teacher is in law school and I think it's finals. I need to practice bjj for the tournament this month.
    Bless you

5/7 south hills judo

Phil Taught

Walking Uchi Komi for Tai otoshi (i need to use my hands more and not just drop, and I need to keep my hands 'in'), koshi guruma ( I need to keep my head up while entering and get the sleeve pull), Osoto Gari (don't lean forward to get chest contact, don't turn the kazushi to early [telegraph])

My partner was Phil, so he helped me a lot.

Went over leg grab takedowns, Phil didn't know the name.

Went over tomoe nage foot on side of the belt.

Randori

Went against Scott, had him off balance a couple of times, he threw me with a kouchi gari or kosoto, don't remember.

Phil- threw me a couple times

Some girl, tossed her with Tai Otoshi, and koshi guruma
    Bless you

5/9

South Hills Judo

Went over the combo of throws from Monday (5/7).

Randori

Phil- got me with foot sweep while I was crossing my feet. Advice given from Phil: Don't be defensive, always attack and always keep your feet moving.

Ishmail- Onlooker told me not to "muscle" too much.

Worked on promise throws. I did Ogoshi, Tai Otoshi, and sasae tsurikomi ashi

I need to work on- more kazushi and more sleeve pull. On foot sweeps I need to work on using my hands to kazushi more.

BJJ

Bobby taugh

Armdrag from guard to either

1 take the back

2 sweep

To take the back: put your foot in hip armdrag their arm to the floor, you want their shoulder in your stomach. Get your hooks in. Congrats, you have their back.

Sweep: Same set up as taking the back, take them to their right, they have nothing to post with.

Sweep from open guard: You have sleeve controll. Wrap your right leg around the outside of then under uke's arm. Put your other leg on uke's waist on the same side as other leg. uke will try to pass guard putting his weight on you. Flip him over. You have a bicep slicer there if you choose to take it.

Rolled with Bobby with no gi- got submitted but Bobby said I was moving well

Rolled with Randy- got subbed but randy said the same thing.

I got out when my opponent had my back a couple times by using one hand to pin down a foot and using the other to defend the choke.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 05-10-2007 at 07:42 AM.
    Bless you

Since I got rear mount last night and didn't finish the choke, I'm reviewing this today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=176SLdBhj_A&NR=1
    Bless you

5/14

South Hills Judo Club

went over Osoto Gari and Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi

If you're doing Sasae to the lapel side, push the elbow of the sleeve hand up.

We also did a follow up to osoto. If uke steps his opposite leg (than the one being reaped) back then block that leg (like tani otoshi except no need to sacrafice)

Grip fighting randori

Randori

Tom: Got him with a double leg, he got me with a single

Eric: he tossed me around

Chad: nothing either way

Ne Waza Randori

Phil: armbarred me, I escaped from sidemount once (and Phil is a beast. Judo BB who also wrestled)

Tom: Got good positions on him- no subs either way. When I gave up my back I didn't allow him to get hooks in

Chad: Got me with an armbar

Kimmy: swept her once, traded positions

Good Practice
    Last edited by bodhitree; 05-15-2007 at 07:58 AM.
    Bless you

5/15

Pitt Grappling

Jimmy, Randy, Aaron, Randy, Norman, and myself showed up.

Drilled
    Side controll escapes, Kesa gata escapes, armbars, triangles.

For side controll: Underhook the far side get your near elbow in hip to create space.

For Kesa Gatame: Get elbow to the mat! Bridge to get under their hips then roll or trap a leg with yours and roll, or take them one way (follow them) and introduce the other direction.

Rolled with Randy, he submitted me twice.
    Bless you

5/16 South Hills Judo

Uchi Komi and throws for:

Sumi Gaeshi

Te Guruma

Tai Otoshi

and a combination

Ouchi Gari to Uchi Mata

Mini in house first score wins shiai

My match against Tom, I got the low score (wazari) with a Tai Otoshi
    Our heads collided during this, I asked Tom if he was okay immediately, he said he thought I got the worst of it.

BJJ

Randy Taught

Brabo Choke from half guard, uke has underhook.

Link 1 (gi)

Link 2 (no gi)

We were wearing a gi but still learned the no-gi version. We also used different grips and did a "baseball bat choke" variation with the hands in a gable grip.

We also did it from uke having half guard and an underhook and from uke turtled in front of you reaching around your back.

Went over the arm triangle.
    We also did the arm triangle with two different grips.

Started in Kesa Gatame. Uke pushes up on you, push their arm to the side. Use your head to trap that arm. Get the corner of you elbow below uke's head (so it is very deep). Squeeze arms together and drive your weight into your shoulder into uke's neck.

Went over RNC over the face. Extend your arm far over ukes face. Even if the chin is tucked, you can still get the choke.

Rolling

Rolled with Tom

Got some good positions, he caught me in a choke.

Rolled with a guy from a different school, man this guy was strong. He schooled me a few times.

Rolled with Randy. Got some okay positions. One time he caught me in Kesa Gatame, Jimmy told me to start my escape BEFORE he is set in the position. Randy submitted me a few times. He told me my balance was good and it was hard to take me down.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 05-17-2007 at 07:20 AM.
    Bless you

Pitt Grappling (5/17)

Aaron taught wrestling moves

High Crotch to body lock takedown.

Step your knee down, grab under the leg, come up for the body lock, finish the takedown (similar to Tani Otoshi

Ways to finish single legs

(AND MOST IMPORTANTLY FOR ME, HEAD ON THE INSIDE!!!!)

If they are sprawled on top of you block leg with one hand grab ankle with the other. You can take them to their back or their stomach.

****zer (edit: they edited w h i z z e r)

Overhook when they are trying to do single leg. Step your leg back and pressure the shoulder. If you need to take them down, throw their arm forward to take their back.

Rolled with:

Norman: traded positions, I got out of two armbars.

Chris: He choked me out with a guillotene (SEE, I TOLD ME IT WAS IMPORTANT TO HAVE THE HEAD ON THE INSIDE). I armbarred him.

Brandon: He beat on me.

Good practice.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 05-21-2007 at 08:49 AM.
    Bless you

5/21

South Hills Judo

Phil taught

Went over Ogoshi when uke reaches over the top.

Went over Ogoshi as a counter to Ogoshi. First block the hips, then switch your hips in front.

Kumikata (gripfighting).

Kumikata randori. I got good controll over oponents. Good exercise.

Randori-

Jimmy- I got him off balance standing up, on the ground he almost caught me in a triangle but then we got stood back up.

Bearded guy- he kept shooting for a single leg, so I sprawled.

Phil- Threw me, I had him the most off balance I ever got him.

Drilled- pin escapes

Rolled with Jeffrey (big strong guy). Last week he absolutely beat me up. This week I realized a lot of what he is using is pure strength. He is strong as hell. He went for chokes that were nowhere near there and just kept squeezing and I just chilled. I passed his guard a couple times and took him down once (he pulled guard the rest). He did submit me maybe twice, I can't remember. Did a lot better against him this week.
    Bless you