Thread: Martial Arts Gathering 2007.

Hybrid View

Martial Arts Gathering 2007.

Hi everybody,

Want to take this opportunity here to announce an event scheduled to take place in Kuching Sarawak September 2007.

This is a Sarawak Tourism Ministry endorsed event to showcase traditional fighting arts called Martial Arts Gathering 2007 or MAG2007 in short.

In a nutshell this event:-

• Will bring together some of the rarest Kung Fu and Silats still in existence in SE Asia. There is a certain urgency to bring attention and preserve them before they disappear totally into oblivion. We have been working hard in locating and convincing many of the old Masters to participate in this event. (I posted clips in Wu Lin I Jia thread describing some of these art forms).

• Provide all participants an exceptional opportunity to interact and learn from these Masters, many of them breaking with traditions to work with us in this respect.

• Congregate all those passionate about traditional MAs to work together to look for answers to question regarding histories, theories and principles of traditional fighting systems.

Besides local Masters, we have also invited Masters and friends from around the world to come and share their research and experience.

In fact, Gene Ching (Kung Fu magazine) is one of our invited guests for this event. Presently, I am working out the details of Gene and Kung Fu Magazine’s involvement. At the very least, Kung Fu Magazine will be the exclusive magazine to cover activities leading up to and the event itself.

We also have, more or less, confirmed the attendance of:-

• Sifu Liu Chang I, Feeding Crane Taiwan.
    • Russ Smith and his Sensei , Okinawa Goju Ryu.
    • Evert Van De Meulen , Hungga.
    • Martin Watts and his Yong Chun White Crane family.

I am hoping to hear Robert Hui (Mantis108) confirmation soon.

Besides the above folks, we have arranged for a good assortment of Masters from Singapore, East and West Malaysia spanning a variety of styles to come and share their skills.

Again I want to highlight that this is more than a demonstration of traditional MAs.

Spread over 3 days, the central concept is to get all to “touch hands”.

Please treat this as an invitation to come visit Sarawak and play this September.

I am preparing a dedicated website to provide all the details.

Warmest Regards.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Ling; 01-19-2007 at 10:50 PM.

We're excited about the possibilities here

From what Eric has shared with me so far, this looks like it'll be a remarkable event. I'm hoping that it all works out so I can attend.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

hi eric, i was curious is there a website for this event? it sounds very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    hi eric, i was curious is there a website for this event? it sounds very interesting.

Yes, a website is under construction even as we speak..

For now I just want to provide some snapshots of the styles and some Masters who are planned to appear in this event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGBM_bmC2_A

This is not final but we have got, at this time:-

• Hakka boxing – 3 different Chu Gar lines. 2 tigers and 1 praying mantis.
    • Southern Praying Mantis Fan Zhuang.
    • WuZu or 5 Ancestors. I got folks from Kan Teck Guan’s line and I hope to confirm GM Chee Kim Thong’s Wuzu participation.
    • Fong Yang Kung Fu.
    • Hungga
    • Choy Li Fut
    • Chow Gar
    • Buddhist Grand Ancestor Boxing
    • Southern Grand Ancestor Boxing
    • Tibetian White Crane
    • Wing Chun
    • Fuzhou Whooping Crane from 2 separate lines
    • Yong Chun White Crane
    • Feeding Crane
    • Ancestral Crane
    • Shaolin White Crane
    • Dragon Tiger Zhuang
    • Southern Fukien Shaolin / Lohan

The above is in no way exhaustive as we are still talking to many Masters from other styles to grace this event.

Plus we have many non-Chinese styles to be included, namely Malay silats and Indian fighting arts.

I will keep updating here.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

do you have any idea of the location of the event, new york or cali?

Hi Eric,

I'd like to say you're doing a fantastic thing for TMA. I'm new to the board but have viewed some of your clips in other threads - just brilliant stuff to watch these old masters and not so old masters!

I'll be watching for more details of the Sarawak event, it sounds like an exciting opportunity to see so many TMA in one place and its not that far from Oz.

Cheers and beers

Dave

forever3821

Quote Originally Posted by forever3821 View Post
    do you have any idea of the location of the event, new york or cali?
    The location is Kuching, Sarawak.

Best Regards,

Russ Smith

School teaching Traditional Kung Fu in Malaysia

Eric,
    Seems like you have contacts from a lot of schools still teaching traditional kung fu. Just wanna ask whether you got any contacts around KL or Selangor area?
    I am from Penang and learn some basic Hung Gar and Ermei from my sifu. But working in Selangor now so trying to find a real traditional school. My interest is only on traditional kung fu. But I found that most school now is teaching wushu for competition. Too bad I'm not staying in Sarawak. Hakka kung fu is my best choice.

Hi Eric

Have you herd of Shatung Black Tiger by Master Tjoa Khek Kiong ? He wrote a Book on Shantung Black Tiger with Don F.Draeger . The style said to be practiced in Indoneasia and Malaysia i am wondering about what forms it has . I also herd there was a Shantung Leopard style . And the History of Shantung Black Tiger ? Robert