Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Gathering 2007.

Hi everybody,

I will be hopping over to Kuala Lumpur next; to talk to some IT folks regarding WuLinIJia and also to meet CKF Masters to confirm their Septmember showing.

Here's one that I would love to hook up with :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idDrpv2NR-M

Maybe it just me but everything I see the "hands out stay out" Hakka fighting systems, I think of White Crane.

That and the way Hakka Masters explode jin at the end of their techniques...

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Hi everybody,

You heard me pointing this out a couple of times; roping in Silats in this coming September gathering, well today I sat down with perhaps the highest ranking Silat Master in Sarawak to discuss this matter.

Guru Utama (MahaGuru) Haji Muhammad Haneef heads the largest Silat organization here in Kuching with a new centralized training center – Rumpun Silat Sarawak.

In his position Tuan Haji manages most of the Silat activities around here.

From him I was astounded to discover that there are not less than a 100 different styles of traditional Silats that call Sarawak home – you live and you learn I guess.

We spoke about various aspects of the September gathering and most importantly to get Tuan Haji, who speaks very good English, to conduct one of the workshops we have scheduled.

He is also in the midst of archiving and documenting all the indigenous Silats for the future generations and if things go according to the dialogue, we might be co-operating with him on this commendable project.

Personally, I think all traditional art forms regardless of origin must be preserved.

Before I left him, Tuan Haji gave a VCD recording of the opening ceremony demonstration of his new training centre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N0rNWkYkXM

I will be meeting with this gentleman again for more detailed planning of the September event.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Hi everyone,

For those of you who have never been to Borneo, here’s a clip that, I am certain, will be a pleasant surprise:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aym2XZdEUaU

This video trailer is produced by an inland tour agency, Borneo Adventure, operating here in the heart of Kuching. They are one of the best in the business.

In order to give you a special experience here in Kuching this September, in addition to the MAs, we have decided to work with these folks to offer you packages to truly appreciate the natural wonders of Borneo.

I’ve been here for almost 4 years now and after watching the clip, I realized how little I really know about Sarawak.

Maybe after this September gathering, I would squeeze out some time, take a break and go see some of the places featured in the clip.

All work and no play make Eric a very grouchy man …. where is my Carlsberg aarrrrgggghhhhh!!!

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Hi everybody,

Received a mail asking for more Silat …….

Got another clip here culled from the VCD that Tuan Haji kindly gave me when I met him the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_t0XnBLaQ8

You know what, over the last few months; I received quite a collection of Silat materials from friends around here.

Recently someone wrote to me with the message “the more we study the arts, the more we realize that we are alike rather than different”.

After watching the Silat materials, I really got to agree with this comment.

The attires, music and postures might be peculiar but when we get down to the fighting, the differences blur….

And before I leave for my West Malaysia trip, I am arranging for a couple more shoot sessions involving the boys from CMAA and hopefully, Master Kong Shu Ming of Hakka Suppressing Tiger and Grand Master Liew Kao Chye of Chu Gar Tiger Boxing.

And ooooh yes, it doesn’t get any better than this ………

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Hi everybody,

What a beautiful day out today..

Took the boys from CMAA to the local council building and got them to go through some of their routines for my camera.

They did both traditional and competition forms and some application drills. With better light, I think you folks would like this more than the previous clip I posted showing the boys in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ALGVKrdCk

I used to spend a fair amount of time with these kids in the last couple of years passing on some traditional skill sets but these days I am swarmed with my own schedule what with the coming September event and all… really miss those sessions.

Next, I really got to pay a visit to Grand Master Lew Kao Chye for some of his Hakka Tiger Boxing.

Now if the weather holds, it will be wonderful.

Warmest Regards.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Ling; 02-06-2007 at 08:33 AM.

Hi everybody,

Somebody messaged at youtube asking to see these 2 forms whole …..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUCI2klZF8U

Ooookay, we got Calvin Kong doing “Poisonous Snake Obstructing Path” and Yap Foo Ming and his “Shi Men / 4 Gates stick”, both forms are from GM Kan Teck Guan’s 5 Ancestors Kung Fu.

In their twenties, I’ll say these 2 kids are very promising.

I will try and spend some time this week to shoot them doing more, in particular, applications from Shaolin Lohan, Ancestral Crane etc…..

At this point, it’s looking like next week is Silat time and then it’s off to West Malaysia and Singapore for more interviews and footages.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

This event is a must-attend

Hi all:

Just thought I would offer a word of encouragement to all who are considering going to the MAG event. Should you go? YES!

What Eric is doing with the MAG for the martial arts community is priceless and many of the guys he is gathering will not be around forever. This is something you should not miss.

I plan on being there!

cheers

Chas Fisher
    Seattle WA

Hi everybody,

Chas, thanks for that message…

Up to my neck with preparations for a press conference here to talk about this coming event; we are launching the website, screening a 15 minutes video trailer and releasing other collaterals.

This is going to be a real special event now that we are pairing up with the
    Silat folks.

Picture this; a cast of CKF Masters from scores of styles, many are new even to me and another assortment of Silat experts from forms that, honestly, I have never even heard of.

I am really looking forward to meeting and playing with these Silat folks and maybe learn a thing or two…

Here another clip showing scenes from around Kuching; a place I call home for the last 4 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXF3C69MN1A

Warmest Regards.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Ling; 02-09-2007 at 04:19 AM.

Oooookay, it’s a bright hot Sunday & I am all dressed for the beach with my sandals and shades …….

But I did better; managed to get Grand Master Lew Kao Chai to a garden park for some outdoor shooting.

GM Lew is the first traditional CKF Master I met when I first arrived in Kuching and instantly I knew I was in the company of greatness.

A soft-spoken upright and highly respectable CKF veteran, GM Lew is precisely the kind of “Da Xia” I read about in my childhood days.

GM Lew is now the custodian of an unusual style of Hakka boxing known as “Chu Gar Fu Zhuang” or “Chu Gar Tiger Boxing”.

This is another “Sanchin” based system that is not seen by many outside of this part of the world.

Every opportunity I get, I’ll try and pick GM Lew’s brain and “steal” a little of his art form.

Got him here doing the entry empty-hand and a staff form. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WqOy-wd0tE

Another clip with me and CMAA’s Calvin Kong and Foo Ming going through some techniques in preparation for a video trailer that we are shooting for promo purposes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft6fKzyyqYE

Errrhhhh, you’ll find a couple of Lohan, Ancestral Crane and monkey boxing techniques in the rough…

I will post from the actual trailer when it’s done….

Now for some Carlsberg …it’s a Sunday afterall…...

Warmest Regards.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Ling; 02-11-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Hello Eric. Thankyou for introducing everyone to kung fu styles that are new to us in the west a real eye opener. The september event will be impressive i'm sure.

Hope we can meet up cos we comming home for Gawai at the end of may.

Regards sean

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    hey Eric,
    "Monkeying around" was great-would have loved to see more.
    -partly to hear the rest of the Steve Vai song

Hi everybody,

Sean, nice to see you here again. Will be writing to you soon regarding this upcoming event. I might not be in Kuching during Gawai so “Happy Gawai” to you and your family. Just remember; if you tuak don’t drive and if you drive don’t tuak.

Ten, sorry, my files are with my designer at this time but I will be shooting some more monkey techniques sometimes this week, so… and we will have Mr. Vai again..

In one of my earlier messages, I spoke about Tuan Haji; well I met with Tuan’s son, Abbas, earlier this evening for some Silat actions.

I was treated to an hour long session which included empty-hand bunga, weapon forms and 2 men drills.

Boy these guys are hard-hitting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgZszjj73Gc

Known as “Silat Helang Putih Perkasa” or “Mighty White Eagle” this is a style founded by Tuan Haji blending all the Silat styles that he was schooled in.

In the clip, you’ll see Abbas in the second still shot and he is an outstanding player.

Says a lot about his father who trained him.

Apart from being solid Silat players, these folks are so pleasant; what more could I ask for?

I will be posting more details about this Silat in our website which should be live any time this week.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Ps. Ten, got Mr.Vai again enjoying some “Blowfish”…..

silat

hi eric,
    thanks for posting the silat clips. very interesting stuff! good job on your efforts to document different arts

Quote Originally Posted by oasis View Post
    hi eric,
    thanks for posting the silat clips. very interesting stuff! good job on your efforts to document different arts
    Thank you Mr. not illusion from barren desert - am I missing something here

Now for some CLF .......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b56-nWak5nY

Warmest Regards.

Eric