Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Gathering 2007.

the clf youtube link didnt work. can you repost?

Hi everybody,

Got 2 more clips here:-

1. This is taken from a Sarawak Tourism Board’s promotional VCD. Really like this production and the concept that “Sarawak is Asia best kept secret”; applies not only to the natural wonders but also the fighting arts that are practiced here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJjxf7iVq60

2. Another clip from last week’s shoot showing the boys, Calvin and Foo Ming from CMAA, rehearsing an Ancestral Crane technique. We do a whole series of chin-na/throwing techniques all embedded in the concept “Old Man Seizes Crane”. This concept runs through many of the forms that we do in Fuzhou Ancestral Crane. This particular technique makes use of the “push/pull” co-ordination that you sometimes find in Tai Chi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-m3xxFBWm8

Spent the morning meeting with Tuan Haji in his office to talk about the upcoming event.

The result is to have a stronger Silat representation in the event and Tuan has agreed to personally invite Silat Masters from West Malaysia and Indonesia to join us for a half a day presentation of Silat in action.

To say that I am thrilled is really an understatement…..

Warmest Regards.

Eric

ps ... the above link is okay ....

thanks for the choy lay fut clip. very nice. i see he also has a dvd set too.

Kong Xi Fa Cai

And now, since it’s gonna be Chinese New Year soon, here’s wishing everyone “Kong Xi Fa Cai” and may you have surplus or “fishes” in the years to come…..

A lion dance clip from the Wuzu group in Johor West Malaysia….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnDZZAHfZqs

Last edited by Eric Ling; 02-16-2007 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ling View Post

And now, since it’s gonna be Chinese New Year soon, here’s wishing everyone “Kong Xi Fa Cai” and may you have surplus or “fishes” in the years to come…..

A lion dance clip from the Wuzu group in Johor West Malaysia….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnDZZAHfZqs

Happy Chinese New Year Brother!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Gong Hey Fat Choy!
    hey Eric, got any Hung-Ga? I recently have been exploring the deper areas of Hung Kuen with a sevety-something old man from Guangzhao-Luk Ah=Choy lineage. I would love to see some Hung Kuen.

Gongxi Facai - Happy Prosperous New Year All!

Eric,
    Something that may bring some memories "Nanquan Beitui" at Damodian at Sionglim:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axVs8Rl-uN4

Although not MAG related but enjoy some other postings:

Ying - Hard Qigong:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjAqjO08ZoM

Chen Style Small Fram Taijiquan:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=berKbD7qsYM

Ancestral Crane
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7iBK9T0qW8

Enjoy the new year festivities everyone.

Kind Regards
    Wu Chanlong
    Last edited by Shaolin Master; 02-16-2007 at 04:42 AM.

Hi everybody,

Ten, I will be visiting GM Lam in Sibu again soon to shoot his Hungga. GM Lam acquired his Hungga from 3 separate teachers and so far I only got superficial glimpses. My next visit should be an eye-opener; I understand he also does Lama Pai Pak Hok ……

I do have a bunch of DVDs from mainland but I really don’t think they are what you want to see.

My upcoming West Malaysia and Singapore trip will include Hungga stops so we’ll see what turns up.

I am trying to contact an old school mate from waaaay back. His grandfather, from Canton, did Hungga and if I remember correctly, not from the Huang Fei Hung’s line.

My friend took over his grandfather’s system. And there are the “Kwong Chow” and “Hong Mo San” groups in Singapore that I would be calling on. These 2 are bastions of Hungga there. The other would be “LingNam” but I got to get to some friends to connect..

Brother Hendrik and Wu Chan Long, Shaolin greetings to the both of you. May all your wishes all come true and may you stay forever young ….and may I get to see Bob Dylan live at least once in my lifetime…

Shaolin Master, the “Ancestral Crane” clip – shouldn’t it be “Vibrating or Shaking Crane”?? Different “Zhong” right?

“Southern Fists Northern Kicks” aarrgghh brings back memories of training in Toa Payoh Safra tennis court.

Except that the form looks a little different in the clip.. You do this form?

You know Ah Joo created the form right? After this we do “Lian Huay” or “Lotus” and then the Lohans….

I am teaching some of the CMAA boys here the Lohans and I am planning to shoot some for posting.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Regarding Crane....yes transliteration of Zong (縱) as in Trembling/Vibrating/Shaking would be best although ..... Zong 宗 (ancestral) is of the same. Although 縱,駿,蹤,宗 are all reference to the same art (縱身鶴法)....I will replace the Ancestral for consistency.

Regarding Nanquan Beitui, of course we know Ah Joo made it up (amongst many other things).....we do it slightly different (and a little more crisp).....the clip is not necessarily the best version.

Yes we also have Lianhua and others. Would be interesting to see some of the CMAA boys attempting some of the luohans.

Regards
    Wu Chanlong
    Last edited by Shaolin Master; 02-19-2007 at 03:31 AM.

Hi everybody,

Shaolin Master, I think it’s important to be cautious about names.

Zong or Shaking Crane is a stand alone style acknowledging a different historical origination from most other Cranes.

Zong, the characteristic, underscores most Fukien/Fuzhou Cranes.

Zonghe or Ancestral Crane is another distinctive branch of Fuzhou Crane. GM Dong Mu Yau’s Fuzhou Crane comes very close to the ZongHe that I do.

Grand Ancestor White Crane or Taizu BaiHe is yet another branch and I think this is also identified as “Ancestral Crane” by many….

I’ve been corresponding with some Wing Chun folks and I thought the next clip is relevant to our investigation.

My stand has always been to look at the “engine” rather than external expression when confronted with a comparative situation.

We got Wing Chun’s Single Bong or Wing Hand explained by a mainland Wing Chun teacher. (In Cantonese…sorry).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_jBKFlCa9I

Besides the obvious semblance in names, this teacher could be explaining White Crane’s Wing Hand as far as I am concerned.

One of our objectives in the September event is to interact and compare notes and examine hypothesis.

Besides the Wing Chun group, there is another Karate group keen to work with us on Karate and White Crane relations. They do their versions of “8 linking steps” and “28 steps” and I got Sifu Robert Siew’s style besides my own White Crane’s family in Singapore coming out to join me…

Me, I just wanna to see everybody’s Sanchin, SanZhan, Sam Bo Jin, Lohan Gung and Tit Sin Kune or any other forms that teaches breathing/jin co-ordination, sounds, and emotion triggers…..

And all the diverse 8 linking steps that you do whether long bridge or short bridge…

Aaarrrrgggghhhh, 2nd day of Chinese New Year and I am talking Kung Fu !!!

Warmest Regards.

Eric.

Ps. Shaolin Master, I did SaoLim in Namyang long before I found Ah Joo in Safra…

Eric,

Once I return to Singapore (Mid-Year approx)...maybe you can enlighten and share with me on the different Namyang Fuzhou cranes and of your other Saolim experiences

Regards
    Wu Chanlong

Hi Shaolin Master,

You’re on and you’re buying the Carlsbergs….chili crabs, sotong goreng….

But before we do that, what’s your email; the one that you use regular; got something private for you…

You know where to find me but just in case, white88crane@yahoo.com

Ten, got a Hungga clip here featuring the form Sei Mun or 4 gates.

Don’t know Hungga well but I don’t think I’ve heard or seen anyone outside of the Sibu group doing this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chr8ELLmCQw

You familiar?

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Hi Eric,

I have sent you an email. Please respond to the address that I have sent it with.

Cheers,
    Wu Chanlong
    PS: One day I'll take to the mainland where Carlsburgs won't do.....the Baiijiu would take the lead.....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Hi Eric,
    I have never seen that set, although it has a few similarities to the set I was taught, which I was told is an amalgamation of Dan Gung Fuk Fu,Seurng Gung Fuk Fu, and Fu Hok Seurng Ying. It is amazing that once you get out of Hong Kong, all Hung Kuen is totally different, as far as sequence. Technique is technique.
    Rik

Hi everybody,

Rik, I know exactly what you’re saying.

Technique is technique no matter what we call them but the delivery is the element that set us apart.

If you keep to traditional ways, besides techniques/principles and blah blah blah, the “flavor” of delivery is, imho, the “signature” of your style and in some cases lineage.

Most of us take after our Sifus. Spent enough time with one and we’re likely to come out moving, in many ways, mirroring them.

Also why we say, in Asia, that to study kung fu, your Sifu got to “mould” you.

I often have problem in articulating this “flavor” thing, not only in written English form, but even with my own students here.

To teach them my White Crane proper, I got to somehow pass on the “Fuzhou” touch over.

This could be frustrating at times.

Now here's a clip of the Wing Chun form, Chum Kiu or Sinking Bridge. The Sifu explained that his version is “sinking” and not “seeking” and went on to illustrate the “sinking” concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCbp-Xvzsfg

Sort of like Hsing Yi’s “crushing”.

And very much like Ancestral Crane’s “sinking elbow” .

Really looking at his rendition, the “White Crane” flavor is so pronounced.

To my eyes at least and you know me and my Carlsberg thingy……

Warmest Regards.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Ling; 02-22-2007 at 08:55 PM.