Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: mike makes crotch juice

january 27th - saturday

Squat
    125 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    215 x 5
    250 x 2 + 1 (i know i could have gotten 3, but i was alone and got extremely lighteaded so i played it safe)
    185 x8

Bench
    100 x 5
    120 x 5
    145 x 5
    170 x 5
    200 x 2 + 1 (this sucked. my home bench is ridiculously high and i had plates under my feet. the plate slipped on the concrete and i
    suddenly had no footing on rep 2 which was heavy for me to begin with. again i was completely alone so im surprised i got it back up. i
    racked it and then did my last rep using a tool box which is awkwardly high, and doesnt let me arch, but at least it stays in place).
    145 x 8

Row
    65 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 5
    115 x 5
    135 x 3
    100 x 8

Assistance:

i had about 10 minutes to finish assistance work, so i supersetted the dips with curls, 30 second or less break, and then did the skull

crushers with a 20 - 30 second break between sets. this actually made me quit drinking for a while. i woke up hung over, ate, had to lift

within an hour, and im sure the 300 plus milligrams of caffine didnt help, but i felt like i had to puke for a good 3 or 4 hours after this.

3 Sets of Weighted Dips x 5-8 reps + Barbell Curls Superset
    dips - 40lb dumbell x 6, 6, 7
    bar curls - 65 x 8, 7, 6

3 Sets of Triceps Extensions x 8 reps
    65 x 8, 6, 5

all and all a bad workout, but i had adoras cheering competiton in charleston the following day so im really glad i got it done.
    where's my beer?

WEEK 4

january 30th - tuesday
    *matched my 5rm on both squat and bench. next week 5lb pr.

Squat
    125 x 5
    155 x 5
    190 x 5
    220 x 5
    250 x 5

Bench
    100 x 5
    125 x 5
    150 x 5
    175 x 5
    200 x 5

Row
    70 x 5
    85 x 5
    100 x 5
    120 x 5
    135 x 5

Assistance:
    2 Sets of Weighted Hypers
    130 x 2 sets of 12

4 Sets of Weighted Situps
    off GHR ... 10 lb plate held behind head
    10, 10, 10 .... i may try a quarter next workout

hung upside down for several minutes holding quarter part of the time
    where's my beer?

february 2nd - thursday

Squat
    125 x 5
    155 x 5
    190 x 5
    190 x 5

Incline Bench
    95 x 5
    115 x 5
    135 x 5
    150 x 5

Deadlift
    185 x 5
    215 x 5
    260 x 5
    300 x 5 - PR *felt awesome. im excited about making 5lb prs over the next few weeks.

Assistance:

3 Sets of Weighted Situps
    hanging upside down x 9, 7, 5
    where's my beer?

jiujitsu workouts for this week:
    *gonna start logging these so i can be cool like sevenstar but with more street cred.

january 29th - monday

* i stole this from my instructor's myspace blog because copy and paste is easy. he got into an eddie bravo kick and as such we are working on a lot of half gaurd stuff. we've worked on a lot of this stuff before, but whenever he gets a new book his eyes light up and he runs through anything new he sees in it with us.

Start: Inferior half guard position. Opponent has head and arm controll:

Begin by switching the half guard to the lockdown.

Use the Jaws of Life to create space. Make sure you're pushing toward 2 O'clock.

Gain double underhooks(a low bear hug)

Use the Whip Up to get up on your side.

Sweeps:

1. Primary: Old School

2. Electric Chair Sweep/Submission

a. Electric Chair to Stoner Control
    *i worked very briefly with the following

I. Stoner Control to Head & Arm Triangle

II. Stoner Control to Calf Crank.

III. Stoner Control sweep counter to headlock.

IV. Stoner control to backmount

IV Stonger Control to sidemount.

january 31st - wednesday

lots of rolling kneebar work per my request. ... different variations ... worked sissor take downs as well.

review the half guard work from monday and added the following:

Alternate Sweep Set: Dog Fight Position

Whip Up into the Dog Fight

1. Half/Half - use the low double underhooks to push them over from the Dog Fight.

a. Half/Half Variation - get up on your foot too press in harder and snatch out their support hand

2. Twistback & Plan B Combo

3. Limp Arm

a. Limp Arm to Sidemount

b. Limp Arm to Backmount

timed cardio rounds for AJ as hes got a fight coming up in march.
    where's my beer?

.... also we start boxing next week.

AJ has about 80lbs on me and is a ****ing beast. im a little nervous and excited all at the same time.
    where's my beer?

This thread motivates me because GDA weighs less than me and can SQ and DL more than me right now.

me = pwnd.

Nice work, tho. I'm enjoying reading this thread even tho I haven't been on the board recently.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

cool that your adding the martial arts stuff in too. nice to see how you fit it all in.

and **** your strong!

**** i didnt see that i got responses.

Quote Originally Posted by ironfist
    This thread motivates me because GDA weighs less than me and can SQ and DL more than me right now.

me = pwnd.

Nice work, tho. I'm enjoying reading this thread even tho I haven't been on the board recently.
    lol ... thanks man. i've always respected your knowledge on the science of lifting so getting props from you is awesome. this is a great program that i'm really liking. it's very direct, i get in and out of the gym, im never too sore for jiujitsu, and im actually getting results. if everything goes perfect ill end it at squat 285 x 5, bench 225 x 5, pull 335 x 5 (slightly higher tripples on squat and bench very last day of program). this will almost turn my 1RM's into 5RM's. man its great to be a noob and still see gains like this i watch these other guys who have been doing it for years bust their asses for 4 months or more just to see a 5lb PR if they are lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by striker
    cool that your adding the martial arts stuff in too. nice to see how you fit it all in.

and **** your strong!
    ha ... thanks man. its awesome to hear things like that after watching guys at the gym use my maxs to warm up with all week . i've started doing some of my old kung fu movements to warm up before lifting and im begining to realize how much i miss it. i may start trying to work that in as well, but well see. theres is this noob chi-gung red hands set i learned that has come in very useful. our gym isnt heated and it actually hurts to grab ahold of the bar when you first get there so warming up the hands is a good thing.
    where's my beer?

february 3rd - saturday

Squat
    125 x 5
    155 x 5
    200 x 5
    225 x 5
    255 x 3
    190 x8

Bench
    100 x 5
    125 x 5
    150 x 5
    175 x 5
    205 x 3
    150 x 8

Row
    70 x 5
    85 x 5
    100 x 5
    120 x 5
    140 x 3
    100 x 8

Assistance:
    3 Sets of Weighted Dips x 5-8 reps
    3 sets of 8 with 45lb plate

3 sets barbell curls (slow grinding negatives ... pavel style)
    65 x 10, 8, 5, 4

skull crusher, single leg calf raise, seated calf raise superset
    skulls - 65 x 10, 10, 8
    sl calf - 180 x 9, 8, 8
    seated calf - 120 x 8, 8, 10
    where's my beer?

ha ... thanks man. its awesome to hear things like that after watching guys at the gym use my maxs to warm up with all week . i've started doing some of my old kung fu movements to warm up before lifting and im begining to realize how much i miss it. i may start trying to work that in as well, but well see. theres is this noob chi-gung red hands set i learned that has come in very useful. our gym isnt heated and it actually hurts to grab ahold of the bar when you first get there so warming up the hands is a good thing.
    your quite light tho arent you so im going by bodyweight %age as strong. maybe i need to start doing red hand chigung hahaha i lift outside and its been frosty out recently, which sucks.

yeah im 148, but im stubborn and i wont be happy until i outlift people who are 248.
    where's my beer?

jiujitsu - february 5th - monday

boxing
    i was late so i very briefly went over jab, cross, hook, upper cut combo and a few drills.

ground technique
    review of all half guard lock out techniques.

added 2 transitions into butterfly guard

sparring
    i only got two rounds in as i also had to leave early. life happens, but a short session is better than none.
    where's my beer?

WEEK 5 - 1st PR WEEK

february 6th - tuesday

Squat
    135 x 5
    160 x 5
    190 x 5
    225 x 5
    255 x 5 - PR (belt)
    *on the 5th rep i actually relaxed in the whole and i felt jeff move in ... i told him i had it and managed to grind my way back up. it was awesome. again ... all squats shoulder width stance ass to grass

Bench
    105 x 5
    130 x 5
    155 x 5
    180 x 5
    205 x 5 - PR

Row
    70 x 5
    85 x 5
    105 x 5
    120 x 5
    140 x 5

Assistance:
    2 Sets of Weighted Hypers
    160 x 2 sets of 10

4 Sets of Weighted Situps
    off GHR
    10lb plate behind head x 10
    2 10lb plates behind head x 3 ... dropped one plate and finished 7 more
    10 + 2 1/2 lb plates behind head x 10, 10

not ready for the quarter behind head
    where's my beer?

Congrats on the PR's. I've been on an Eddie Bravo kick too since I got that book. It'd really helped my half-guard game.

I was nailing PR's last week on the full snatch, full clean and jerk, and weighted pull-ups (Very close to 2x Bodyweight!), but I think I was pushing too hard. I've been doing hardcore oly workouts followed with javurek complexes 3x week, GPP training and HIIT 2x week, and LSD training 1x week on top of MMA training 3-5x/week. Finally caught up with me and I got pretty sick. Haven't touched a weight in a week now. Not sure if it was overtraining or just unlucky.

thanks and good work on the onlys man. im not sure if setting prs on the olys is a different kind of awesome or a better kind of awesome, but i definatley miss it. if i weren't so lazy i'd actually be doing power cleans instead of rows, but the weightlifting stuff is all the way down in the basement (where there is a very good chance your hands may actually freeze to the bar) and my rows were pathetic anyway.

jesus man! thats a **** load of training. if it were youre only responsibility it wouldnt be so bad, but on top of a normal life that's rough. id say that it makes it a lot harder to make progress when your spreading yourself that thin as well, but apparently you were so maybe not. just recently i was trying to balance family, working 54 hours a week, lifting 4 days, jiujitsu 2 or 3, housework, etc and it was rough. im a lot happier now that ive got a 3 day lifting program and a good chunk of my overtime is gone (though it hurts when i see my paycheck).
    where's my beer?