may 8th - tuesday

snatches
    few tripples up to 50k ... mostly just warming up while waiting on marcus

squat
    135 x 8
    185 x 5
    235 x 3
    275 x 3 sets of 3
    not too long ago 275 x 3 was a failure set ... all 3 of these sets went up smooth so i was really happy with that

close grip bench
    95 x 10
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    205 x 3
    225 x 1
    240 x miss

pull till knees - sumo stance
    255 x tripples and four sets for 20 minutes with enough rest between sets to focus on driving with the legs and getting a grove going.
    where's my beer?

may 11th - friday

snatch + overhead squat
    50k x 5 singles
    60k x miss
    55k x 1, miss, 2

squat
    135 x 8
    185 x 3
    225 x 3
    245 x 5 sets of 5

reverse hypers
    190 x 8, 10, 10

calf raises
    stack x 8, 10, 9

seated calf raises
    120 x 8, 7, 8
    where's my beer?

may 12th - saturday

bench
    [i]*terrible bench day ... just couldnt get a grove going[/b]
    135 x 8, 8, 5
    165 x 5
    185 x 3
    205 x 2
    245 x miss
    225 x 1
    205 x 2
    185 x 8 sets of 3

behind the neck press
    95 x 6
    115 x 4
    95 x 6, 7

weighted dips
    55 x 6, 5
    50 x 4

bar curl + skull crushers superset
    curl - 65 x 2 sets of 10 and a third set for 7 + 3
    sc - 65 x 7, 8, 6

hammer curl + rolling tricep extentions
    hc - 25 x 6, 7, 7, 6
    rte - 10 x 15, 15 x 8, 10, 8, 8

db wrist curls
    30 x 8, 8

behind back wrist curls to finger tips
    [i]*had to drop the weight to learn to work around my ass[/b]
    85 x 6
    65 x 8, 8, 6
    75 x 6, 6

wrist curls to finger tips over bench
    65 x 8, 6, 4

reverse wrist curls
    45 x 10, 8, 6

reverse curls
    45 x 10, 10, 8
    where's my beer?

may 14th - monday

jiujitsu

guard work
    drilled sissor sweep and worked stratagies for keeping someone from passing and working for a better position or sub. main points i remember were getting the legs higher up to keep them from pulling away, using two on one to take care of a posting hand, and using blade of forearm against back of neck. justin went through a lot of different things that can be done using these stratagies, but the ones that have stayed with me are using the two on one to get back position or go for kimura or triangle. we also worked a little open guard.

sparring
    drilled guard vs guard with josh for 2 rounds of 2 mins each position. sparred chris for 3 minutes, sparred justin for 2 with me starting with his back, and sparred josh again for another 2 minute round.

i got my ass thrashed so bad im a little ashamed. i've been lucky to make it once a week lately and im getting worse instead of better. i hope to start making it more, but its getting hard to juggle everything.
    where's my beer?

Why are your benches so much higher than your rows? It should be the reverse. The back muscles are much larger and related to power than the chest. If you want your build and strength to be more functional and 'natural', I would recommend focussing more on rows/back work and less on chest.

bah. sometimes it just happens that way. at least you are still going. as long as you keep training, you won't regress too much.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    bah. sometimes it just happens that way. at least you are still going. as long as you keep training, you won't regress too much.
    thanks man ... its just frustrating to have a string of bad sessions. i had a long line of good ones so i know im due and thats just how it works. it's still a pain in the ass.

question though ... how do you manage to balance everything without overtraining. i might not know you irl, but i think of you irl when i complain about how overworked i am with the family, 2 sports, work, etc. you have one more job and one more kid than i do (you do have 2 kids right?), plus you got a few years on me. not many, but i cant even say that its because your younger.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixrising View Post
    Why are your benches so much higher than your rows? It should be the reverse. The back muscles are much larger and related to power than the chest. If you want your build and strength to be more functional and 'natural', I would recommend focussing more on rows/back work and less on chest.
    i admit my rows sucks balls (which is why i chose them over powercleans when i did the 5x5), but i dont know anyone who is rowing more than they bench. i know a lot of guys who can bench 3 plates plus, but i've never seen them row that much. the leverages are different standing and bent over vs. lying on your back which is a very stable position. you also use lats to bench.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    i admit my rows sucks balls (which is why i chose them over powercleans when i did the 5x5), but i dont know anyone who is rowing more than they bench. i know a lot of guys who can bench 3 plates plus, but i've never seen them row that much. the leverages are different standing and bent over vs. lying on your back which is a very stable position. you also use lats to bench.
    I don't row more than I bench either.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

My rows were always bigger than my benches, but my bench sucks (I hate it). I actually thing my ohp was bigger than my bench.

GDA, you coming to Pittsburgh for Kumite? It's a 15$ spectator fee, however you can watch jiu jitsu, powerlifting, boxing, bueaty pagent, etc. Plus, you gotta support b-tree.
    Bless you

thanks man ... its just frustrating to have a string of bad sessions. i had a long line of good ones so i know im due and thats just how it works. it's still a pain in the ass.

question though ... how do you manage to balance everything without overtraining. i might not know you irl, but i think of you irl when i complain about how overworked i am with the family, 2 sports, work, etc. you have one more job and one more kid than i do (you do have 2 kids right?), plus you got a few years on me. not many, but i cant even say that its because your younger.
    I wish I had some scientific answer, but I don't have anything more than I listen to my body. If my body says not to go to class (like last week), I don't. If it tells me I am too tired to lift weights, I call it a liar, and just lift lighter. The rest just falls into place, so I kinda lucked out; I have never been the type to sleep much - even before I had the second job, I would be up till 3am watching tv or playing games. One of my students just happened to be a bartender and just happened to know that the club across the street from him needed a new bouncer.

I am usually home from the day job long enough to help the oldest with his homework, and come from class just in time to put the youngest to bed. On the weekends, we'll have family time where we wrestle, go to the park, turn on the playstation, etc.

Like I said, it just kinda fell into place.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    My rows were always bigger than my benches, but my bench sucks (I hate it). I actually thing my ohp was bigger than my bench.

GDA, you coming to Pittsburgh for Kumite? It's a 15$ spectator fee, however you can watch jiu jitsu, powerlifting, boxing, bueaty pagent, etc. Plus, you gotta support b-tree.
    what date is it again? as long as im off i should be able to make it. i might even have some of my own guys out there.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I wish I had some scientific answer, but I don't have anything more than I listen to my body. If my body says not to go to class (like last week), I don't. If it tells me I am too tired to lift weights, I call it a liar, and just lift lighter. The rest just falls into place, so I kinda lucked out; I have never been the type to sleep much - even before I had the second job, I would be up till 3am watching tv or playing games. One of my students just happened to be a bartender and just happened to know that the club across the street from him needed a new bouncer.

I am usually home from the day job long enough to help the oldest with his homework, and come from class just in time to put the youngest to bed. On the weekends, we'll have family time where we wrestle, go to the park, turn on the playstation, etc.

Like I said, it just kinda fell into place.
    word ... thanks for the answer. i think i just stress **** too much in general. its a shame i dont like weed anymore.
    where's my beer?

machine where you pull bar down from behind your head, in front of you, and to your stomach
    A pullover machine? For your lats, right? Those machines are awesome.

Just wanted to check into this thread and show some love. I was actually consistent with my lifting for the last month. I'm getting closer in strength to where I used to be. Of course, all your 1RMs are higher now than mine ever were, you jerkass, and you weigh less. So you're stronger than me relatively and absolutely, and I hate you. Except for bench. And weighted pullups. So eat my ass

(Except your bench relative to your bw is still higher than mine, so you win).

AND you get to train in bjj, so I'm jealous, too.

But you listen to good music so it's all good.

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

ha thanks man. havent heard from you in a while. glad your lifting again ... your one of the people who helped me first get into it back in the day. i had to take some time off to do a little chemo, but by that point i was too addicted not to start back in as soon as i was well enough.

the pullover machine does indeed rock. i always hated on machines, but man they are kinda fun for warming up or recovery. you might be able to do some actual work on one or two of them too.
    where's my beer?