Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: London Kung Fu

I would love to go the Shaolin Temple, but I am a student; I don't have as much money as they ask for, £60-£80 a month! Any PRC coaches would be great :-P.

If you go twice a week then that's £6 per session. I seriously doubt you're going to find cheaper in London outside of a student union society.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Or I think they charge 8 quid per hour on a class by class basis.

One bit of advice, stay away from the shaolin whanam people....they are total freakazoids
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Paul whitrod

Pauls teaches Krabi Krabong, Chow Gar, Kalari Pyatt, Hsing Yi Ba Gua and Tai Chi Chuan.

He has full knowledge of all these systems and can teach the deep skills, with body mechnics, internal trainng and full understanding of teh applications.

The same goes for Jim Uglow with reagrds to his knowledge and skills.

Why waste the time with prc stuff when you have access to these two SiFu's

I know them both personally and cannot reccomend them enough
    Kune Belay Sau

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Ying Home View Post

Why waste the time with prc stuff when you have access to these two SiFu's

I know them both personally and cannot reccomend them enough

I was thinking the same, Shaolin monk 'OK' just a franchise, not really monks.

Then I saw there guys fighting in San Shou and it really blew me away. They may or may not be 'real' shaolin (But I guess they are as real monks as you are going to find now), but what they are teaching and the guys they are turning out are not just better than what existed in san shou before by a little bit, they are leaps and bounds ahead.

For example, The UK team went from getting one 'charity' bronze (and one guy in hospital) in the last European championships (I think it was the last) before the Temple guys turned up, to a silver medal in the WORLD championships in 2005 and that guy only losing in the final to a really good semi pro Chinese guy!

As for P Whitrod, I have never heard any bad about him and I have heard lots of good, but how much san shou will he get the OP doing? Also, we have one of his guys teaching in Oxford, all I can say is 'meah'.

(I want to point out that I have no connection to the Shaolin Temple guys, I wish that they were crap so that I could bash the 'franchise' but the fact remains that they are very good.)
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

He didn't actually ask for San Shou originally though, he only asked for hard sparring.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

In his first post he asked for full contact sparring, then latter in the thread he was asking for san shou

San Sau/Shou - Gong Sau

Sure if you want prc san shou go to the temple guys they are very good at that.

If you want Gong sau training go to Paul or Jim, they will teaching you fighting skills much deeper than san shou sport fighting.

I would only personally only train with jim or paul. I cannot make any statement about thier students teaching.

As for the san shou prc shaolin guys yes they are very good at what they do

But I know just how dangerous the fighting skills of jim and paul are and how good they are at it. They don't play sport fighting

Anyway I am done with this thread good luck in your search

What does an orange taste like?..Taste it and then you will know for yourself
    Kune Belay Sau

There is Bob Breen's Acadamy at Hoxton Old Street Tube, who is a certified full instructor under Dan Inosanto
    Regards
    Peter

Thanks for the replies. I later asked for San Shou, as I knew the nature of the sport would include hard sparring. I actually attended a shaolin temple thing at my university gym (UCL) yesterday. It seemed to have alot of forms, and no sparring and very little conditioning/training. I'm guessing they watered it down for that class. I know the instructor fights in Thai Boxing matches so I suspect he may know what he is doing, however my main problem with it was the forms. They seemed really stylised and not really applicable to "fighting" or sanshou. I 'm considering carrying on and passing their tests, then checking out their "sanshou preperation" classes.

I've yet to check out the other teachers.
    "But I know just how dangerous the fighting skills of jim and paul are and how good they are at it. They don't play sport fighting"
    They still spar hard though? I come from some ring sports background, and I believe sparring is very important, we're all human and without pressure testing, sometimes techniques won't come to us.

Hey, you're at UCL. I'm at SOAS just round the corner!
    Black Mantis

Hey man, I know very little about SOAS. Is that part of UCL?

SOAS is one of the consituent federation colleges that form the University of London.

SOAS has nothing to do with UCL. If you want to meet to train or talk about Kung Fu in the Bloomsbury area, let me know.
    Black Mantis

hey people, I live in london (balham), I train qixing tanglang in stevenage though the levels not v high though coz most peeps are just hobbiests/weekenders.

If you want to hook up and talk kung fu, train or whatever then hit me up.

http://www.myspace.com/monkeyfoot7

craig