Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the most basic broadsword form?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

What is the most basic broadsword form?

just that question.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Long, hard, and sharp. Usually with a curve in the blade.

Some people put flags on 'em so they look pretty when they're twirled.

Personally, I like 'em Conan-style. "Conan the Barbarian...." not "Conan the Destroyer".....**** that second movie sucked.

next.........
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Probably that one where all the most basic movements are covered. I am sure you have seen it, it starts with "Entwine the head", slash, slash, bind the head, thrust etc...
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

well, i have one from Kash. the one with all the 'flowers'. is that the one you are talking about?

I have one from Wing Lam, that's pretty basic. But I use a Da Dao to practice it now, my Broadsword isn't heavy enough.

In my school we teach Yilu dandao, and it is rediculously simple, but an excellent introduction to broadsword techniques. I've seen several versions of this form, and all are much harder, but my sigong got this form from shaolin temple, so i'm standing by it.

NJM: i have one of the 'combat steel' dao's from here...it's plenty heavy...about 3 times as heavy as one of the wushu blades.

Jingwu Man: thanks. I'll do a search for that and see what I find. I have two broadsword sets neither of them very simple and I want a 'ridiculously simple' set to feed the beginner's with.

well, i have one from Kash. the one with all the 'flowers'. is that the one you are talking about?

Reply]
    No, this is one something I picked up locally. It's like all the most basic drills done in a form.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    just that question.
    chop/parry/wrap/parry/draw/draw/thrust

pretty basic.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If you can find a copy of Shideqian's shaolin encyclopedia, my school's yilu dandao is almost the same form as the one in there except for the ending. Short and sweet.

David, yea, I know. I've been thinking about just ripping the two I have apart and making one but would rather find one that has a little history to it.

Jingwu Man: thanks, that gives me a place to start.

I'd recommend the Contemporary 18 movment Saber from the Chang Quan Duan System.

This set contains the primary movements of the weapon

This link offers a vcd for only $5.50 but it is in CHINESE

http://www.wushumedia.com/product.as...ode=2&ID=CHI11

This link offers a DVD in English but for around $15.00
    http://www.cmaod.com/WushuYouthDVD.html
    Last edited by ngokfei; 01-24-2007 at 11:42 AM.