Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sonny Chiba Lives!

chinese ninjas

i have heard of chinese ninjas. they would throw coins in the faces of there enemy, flick hanckerchiefs in the eyes. use gorund pepper in the face and put shoes on their hands to fight against a knife. simple effective weapons hidden in plain sight.

and if i hear anybody say anything bad about ninjas again they will get an hand full of coins thrown in their face like the naughty strippers they are.
    "you have to give up, you have to realize that one day you will die. until you know that you are useless." -Tyler Durden

Back on track,

The character name for Chiba's character character in The Streetfighter series actually means Polished Sword, a meaning that is, in a way, conceptually identical to the term "kung fu."

What really makes this series (Streetfigter one and two only) a classic is the choreography. They had a team of choreographers working on this series and they succeded in giving it a very raw quality. The only other classic to really rise above the others like this was Fist of Legend. There was a team working on that one, too.

mickey

Sonny Chiba!

Kicking ass and taking names !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAEABHMiycU
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Freakin Hilarious.
    Chiba is the man!!

7. Sonny Chiba! Viva Chiba!

I think Sonny Chiba has to be my favorite martial arts actor, after Richard Harrison and Stuart Smith. He is just awesome, and his films are really well done, I think.

I also think, and this may be juvinile, that Sonny Chiba could have beat Bruce Lee, and Chuck Norris in an official match at their primes.

Anyway, back to the movies.
    I have been collecting Sonny Chiba DVDs for a little while. I haven't watched them all yet, but I got the excellent sets of:

Lethal Chiba(I watched The Executioner)
    Samurai Collection(I watched the 1st title.. Yagyu Conspiracy?)
    Shogun Collection(I started GI Samurai but didn't finish it yet)
    Sister Street Fighter Collection(I know Chiba is only in the 1st one, I watched the 2nd one)
    Sonny Chiba Action Pack(I watched Bullet Train)
    Welcome to the Grindhouse, Dragon Princess/Sister Street Fighter
    Welcome to the Grindhouse, The Bodyguard/Karate Warriors
    The Street Fighter/Return of the Street Fighter(on the Walmart Digiview label, kinda dark and grainy but WS)
    I think BCI should give us the definitive Street Fighter set, of the 3 movies with original language options, trailors ect. They could do it as a double disc or a flipper, with The Street Fighter on one(side), and the 2 sequels on the other.
    Street Fighter's Last Revenge(on Platinum DVD, very nice WS pic)
    Terror Beneath the Sea(not a MA film, but great anyway)

I think this is all I have... which is about all one needs anyway... though I would like that Trilogy set he has, I can't recall the name, Matsayu? His master's name. Yeah I could look it up...

I want to give those Grindhouse discs a good viewing next. I sampled them, but I don't think I watched them all through.

My favorite Chiba movie is Killing Machine. I have this, and watched it only from the Brentwood 10 pack, which was dubbed and fullscreen, but it had a decent pic.

Comments welcome,

Chosen One

Yeah Killing Machine is pure awesomeness. My favorite from Chiba as well. I have the remastered Adness version and it makes the movie so much better.

Check out Soul of Bruce Lee aka Soul of Chiba sometime. Chiba looks so freaking good doing Hong Kong style action.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Killing Machine is, IMO, Chiba's best work.
    I've seen Time Slip at Best Buy but have yet to pick it up (probably should've gotten it instead of Godzilla Raids Again). It's another title for G.I. Samurai, which I don't have.

kungpowmaster:
    You may want to look up Legend of the Seven Monks. It has a good fight between Chiba and screen legend Yasuaki Kurata, and was filmed only about 2 to 3 years ago, I think. They both still look great in their 60s, but besides being younger, Kurata is clearly the better martial artist of the two (or at least the better-looking technically). Kinda makes you wonder what if they had screen fought in their primes...

Chiba does indeed rule as Japan's #1 Badass.

I needs to get me a primo edition of Killing Machine.

VIVA LA CHIBA!!

As much as it pains me to agree, Killing Machine ( the "autobiography" of Doshin So) was his best, even better than his "Oyama" Trilogy.

New on our e-zine

Sonny Chiba and the SUSHI GIRL by Greg Lynch Jr.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

4-picture deal

Sonny Chiba Cuts Four-Picture Deal With Assembly Line (Exclusive)
    The 72-year-old martial arts master will first star in the action drama "Bushido."
    1:42 PM PST 11/9/2011 by Jay A. Fernandez

Iconic Japanese martial arts master Sonny Chiba has signed a four-picture deal with Assembly Line. The 72-year-old actor-director will kick off the pact by co-starring with Tony Todd in the action drama Bushido.
    Based on an original story from Chiba, Bushido 

follows a band of Buffalo Soldiers and Japanese samurai serving together in the American Civil War. Assembly Line partners Neal Fischer, Destin Pfaff, Kern Saxton and Suren M. Seron will produce. Three more action projects will follow.
    “This first project falls right up the alley of why Assembly Line was assembled, to create high quality films in a variety of genres," said the Gersh-repped Pfaff (Millionaire Matchmaker). "We couldn't be happier to be partnering with a legend such as Sonny Chiba.”
    Chiba and Assembly Line previously teamed on Sushi Girl, which was written by Pfaff and Saxton, who also directed. Todd, Chiba, Mark Hamill, Michael Biehn, Danny Trejo and Jeff Fahey star in the thriller.
    Assembly Line is also developing Catalytic, Todd's directorial debut about a magician's road trip on the eve of a supernatural apocalypse.
    Chiba has been making movies, including Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill: Vol. 1 and Executioner, for 50 years.
    We told you about Sushi Girl 4 months ago.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Which begs the question

Whatever happened to Sushi Girl? Can't find a release date.

Happy 75th Birthday Sonny Chiba!!

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2014/01...nny-chiba.html

Posted to site yesterday and didn't get a chance to post here

Happy 75th Bday Sonny Chiba!!

In addition to the 5 vidclips in the tribute post above, posted 3 movies:

Interesting Quentin Tarantino/Pulp Fiction trivia about this movie
    http://www.stickgrappler.net/2014/01...1976-full.html
    Karate Kiba aka The Bodyguard

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2014/01...1974-full.html

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2014/01...t-fighter.html

Chiba-sama, happy birthday!!