View Poll Results: Who believes I got knocked on my ass today?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • No video, no knock down.

4 28.57%
  • Me, cuz you're a big fatass who couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag.

6 42.86%
  • Me, cuz kung fu sucks.

0 0%
  • Not me, cuz I think you're trying to make a point using some reverse psycho BS.

4 28.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got knocked on my ass today

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Got knocked on my ass today

wish the camera had been rolling. too bad. i guess that means I can't prove that I got nailed square in the face and knocked flat on my back.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I voted first bro! At least you didn't video yourself falling out of the ring.

Not that I could even climb into a ring without pulling a groin muscle.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

hahahaha.

beats tripping over your own feet.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

it wasn't quite one of those 'how the hell did i get down here' moments but close. got caught flatfooted as hell and 'pop!'

my friend is 2 weeks away from the toughman...I think he's going to clean house...if not from the expert sparring partner he's had (ahem)...at least from the fact that he's a tough sob.

and, 'phooey' on you street fighter!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Thumbs up I believe ...

Didn't vote, but I believe you if you say so. No, I don't think Kung Fu sucks or you suck. I wish more people are more forth coming and admit that Kung Fu doesn't make anyone a Demi God by default. There is a difference between romancing Kung Fu and practicing Kung Fu. In practicing Kung Fu, you will get knocked on your ass. That's as real and as good as it can get.

If you are "saying" to make a point, well that too, I hear you loud and clear. So preach on, brother.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

really just having fun after a longish day at the school

wasn't really playing kung fu. a buddy of mine is going to enter a toughman in two weeks and we've been straight western boxing almost every weekend for the last 2 months.

but, i have been able to use feng shou to some extent and one of the 18 Essentials, 'Interconnected Breaking Punch' is really just driving high with two punches and then one to the mid section. 'kung fu' at it's basic uncomplicated-by-'tradition'-and-'my shifu say's:....' level, isn't too difficult to apply.

my buddy is also a 'traditional' practitioner of karate.

just fun and knockdowns

I remember the first time I got my bell rung... Oh man, it was rough on me experiencing something new like that. After that I got popped in the nose by someone's ridge-hand. It felt kinda like when you eat a huge thing of wasabi paste, and your face feels like it's gonna explode? Lol. After those couple moments I had to make a decision. I could either keep training and face those experiences every day, or I could pay it safe and quit. I chose Kung Fu. So even when I tore my ACL it was an easy decision to get back to training ASAP.

I've been knocked on my ass so many times by my kung fu brothers/sisters. It's really fun when we've been working on a certain concept all week, and then suddenly someone figures it out/gets lucky and I wind up looking at the ceiling. After I catch my breath I'm usually like "how'd you do that?"

well, i got my bell rung multiple times. just whopped on my butt the once yesterday.

oso-

i find taht the best work i'll get on the matt is when i play with someone who is more than capable of handing me my ass.

when playing with others, it is not challanging and where there is no challenge, tere is no growth.

if you are going to go after that reality of it all path in martial arts, then spend way less time playing with students and peers and more time actively seeking out someone who can readily teach you a thing or two on the dance floor.

it will grow you as a martial artist. Not saying they are easy to find either, because they aren't.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

my buddy is also a 'traditional' practitioner of karate.
    Ha! Once again karate defeats kung fu! Sonny Chiba Lives!!!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    oso-

i find taht the best work i'll get on the matt is when i play with someone who is more than capable of handing me my ass.

when playing with others, it is not challanging and where there is no challenge, tere is no growth.

if you are going to go after that reality of it all path in martial arts, then spend way less time playing with students and peers and more time actively seeking out someone who can readily teach you a thing or two on the dance floor.

it will grow you as a martial artist. Not saying they are easy to find either, because they aren't.
    absolutely.

coincidentally, I was introduced to this guy, i'll use M to represent him, by my first teacher who is now a sensei in this shorinji torakendo kempo group. he's a helluva fighter and I can't get lazy or slack when working with him.

i have definitely spent too much time playing with students these last couple of years. however, that's my main focus now: teaching others.

Luckily, M is willing to travel to my school and work out and is willing to fight at every range. He teaches in a middle school about an hour away so doesn't have a facility.

So, now, I get an hour or two 2-4 times a month with M. Once this toughman is over with we'll go back to full range sparring as he gets ready to go to Europe to fight in that full contact jujitsu thing going on over there.

as far as easy to find, you are right. there are a couple of very good fighters at the JJJ school I went to but they are either a whole lot smaller than I am or are just not interested in banging hard.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    Ha! Once again karate defeats kung fu! Sonny Chiba Lives!!!
    bwaa, there is no real difference between karate and kung fu, or anything else, if whoever is teaching it hasn't piled too much BS on top of it all.

just a better man...for now

Knocked down

Whats that commercial " you get knocked down 5 times you get up six" Sorry I missed it (not you getting knocked down of course) but the time I saw M he is one cool dude.relaxed in middle of the the confrontation. Lots of grace there.Ever seen a bull go down in a B fight.. Epitome of class and dignity.Whats that old Story about greeks fighting ? The looser ,who usualy died, got the biggest ovation.By the way < Ive asked some of the seniors to spar with no response. Might be my age that scares them, the unknown ? Maybe if I spar with the next oldest person there Ill have a better chance.. ? where are my gloves think I need a bigger cup! ( If you stated it aint no lie) solid egos here. Any one there who dares to retell it?

Ha! That's what you get for pinching Ming Yue's butt.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

mambi, well, sparring is usually just on saturdays. if you want to spar, you can. just have to be there and put the gear on.

Yao Sing: I'd have to have pretty long arms since she hasn't been in the school in almost a year.