Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My dog bit the neighbor girl

My dog bit the neighbor girl

I need help everyone. My dog is 13 years old. He's been agressive his whole life. He's got Alpha dog syndrom. Meaning, he tries to dominate any other dog or person he comes in contact with. We took him to classes for this and have learned how to handle him. This was over 10 years ago. He's been a great dog but he only listens to me pretty much.

This weekend My family and I went to our friends house over night. We asked the neighbors to come by and let the dog out. They're super nice people.

Apparently when they came in, my dog was laying on the sofa. The girls father said come on Rado (RAH DO) That's my dogs name. He said let's go out and went to the back door to open it. Rado didn't move. His young daughter went over to him to scoot him off the sofa and he bit her. Not too bad but bad enough that they took her to see a doctor.

I'm thinking that he's getting more and more cranky in his old age. He bit my wife once and my son is afraid of him.

I guess the answer is pretty clear but I wanted to see what you all thought.

What would you do?
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    well, simply, don't let anyone else have responsibility for him. dogs are animals and still unpredictable even as pets. I don't think it's time to put him down or anything. he's just your problem, not anyone elses.

my girlfriend's dog is the same way. he bit an old lady once. now, she doesn't let anyone watch him who hasn't been around him a whole lot. he's really a big fat lab who would rather eat than anything else but if someone strange approaches him too quickly, he snaps at them.

bottom line, you are responsible for his actions in public and to other people in your house. hopefully your nieghbors aren't contemplating a law suit but you should probably offer to pay the medical bills.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Thanks man. Just now I was thinking, what if it was the other way around? What if it was my neighbors dog that bit my daughter? How would I feel about that?

I see what you're saying though. I do take responsibility for all of his actions but I can't be here all the time. My kids come home from school and bring their friends. What if he was to bite one of them?

This has got me freaked out.

Um, did you let the neighbor know the dog's temperment? Might have been better not to let anyone else into his territory while you were away...

well, your thinking about it now. if you are really that worried about it then you will have to set up some rules about how your kids and their friends are going to be around him. or have your kids move him to the yard or basement/garage while they have friends over.

what breed is he?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Um, did you let the neighbor know the dog's temperment? Might have been better not to let anyone else into his territory while you were away...
    Yes, of course. They know him. They've taken care of him before. They live right next door. Either way, it's too late to worry about that now.

Nobody can tell you what to do -- he's your dog. But he shouldn't be biting people.

You have to train dogs from a young age to act appropriately. It's obvious then you didn't train him, or he's somehow defective.

At any rate, sorry this happened to you. But in my humble opinion there are no bad dogs, only bad trainers. I've heard of dogs that are just defective and can't be trained, but I never met one.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Dogs look at everyone in the family as part of the same litter. (not sure whether they think we're dogs, or that they think they're people. My dog thinks he's a person.)Strangers are not from his litter so will not be treated likewise.

Ok, here's what ya do-
    rub his entire skin and body including chest cavity with salt
    then marinade in shaoxing wine,garlic,soy sauce-for three days.
    cut into smaller pieces, steam for about forty minutes, let cool.
    dip pieces in egg then in waterchestnut/garlic powder then fry in wok.
    make sauce out of remaining marinade and hoisin and lat jiew yao, you can add cornstarch to thicken if you like,
    arrange on bed of lettuce,and drizzle sauce over Rado and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    Nobody can tell you what to do -- he's your dog. But he shouldn't be biting people.

You have to train dogs from a young age to act appropriately. It's obvious then you didn't train him, or he's somehow defective.

At any rate, sorry this happened to you. But in my humble opinion there are no bad dogs, only bad trainers. I've heard of dogs that are just defective and can't be trained, but I never met one.
    I got him from the pound when he was about 6 months old. He was a stray. I've had him for over 12 years. He's always been agressive. I took him to a class once a week for 12 weeks to train him. I follow the principles of that class to this day.

I don't know if he's deffective or was just abused before I got him. Or if I've done anything wrong in training him. All I know is, this can't happen again.

Thanks

Very simple,

Cage the dog while you're away or there are children present or put him to sleep. Those seem like your only choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    I got him from the pound when he was about 6 months old. He was a stray. I've had him for over 12 years. He's always been agressive. I took him to a class once a week for 12 weeks to train him. I follow the principles of that class to this day.

I don't know if he's deffective or was just abused before I got him. Or if I've done anything wrong in training him. All I know is, this can't happen again.

Thanks
    6 months is pretty young. The thing is, I've been around a ton of dogs -- even breeds that are supposed to be aggressive and bite like pit bulls and Rottweilers, and usually it's a training thing. If you train them to be aggressive and stuff, then usually they'll be aggressive. If they are aggressive and you don't train them to be controlled, then they'll run wild. If you train them to be nice, then usually they are nice. I haven't run into any exceptions to this rule.

I've had room-mates that didn't even train the dog to go to the bathroom properly.

Anyways, when people start blaming the dog, I get a little bit mad. In fact, whenever somebody says, "Bad dog," I always tell them the same thing.

But I'd have to agree with BoulderDawg, you'll need to cage this one or put him on a leash out back or something, because I don't think you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Anyways, it's obvious you don't live in Seattle or San Francisco or something because the dog would probably already be put to sleep by now. I don't think you have to put it to sleep but you will probably have to keep it chained up.
    Last edited by lunghushan; 01-20-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Dogs look at everyone in the family as part of the same litter. (not sure whether they think we're dogs, or that they think they're people. My dog thinks he's a person.)Strangers are not from his litter so will not be treated likewise.

Ok, here's what ya do-
    rub his entire skin and body including chest cavity with salt
    then marinade in shaoxing wine,garlic,soy sauce-for three days.
    cut into smaller pieces, steam for about forty minutes, let cool.
    dip pieces in egg then in waterchestnut/garlic powder then fry in wok.
    make sauce out of remaining marinade and hoisin and lat jiew yao, you can add cornstarch to thicken if you like,
    arrange on bed of lettuce,and drizzle sauce over Rado and serve.
    I appreciate the humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    I appreciate the humor.
    Acckkk ... we're not in China.

Although I was visiting a friend and the neighbors dog was barking out of control the other day, so I yelled over, "Shut up or we'll eat you." The dog actually stopped barking.

But the neighbor lady was coming out of her house at that exact moment and caught the comment. She didn't look too happy.

Blog Entries
    I wish my dog could be aggressive as yours. My dog always have a ball in her mouth even barking to strangers. She just wants to play ball 24-7.

you're right it can't happen again. but, you have to be the one to control the situations you put him in. if he was abused as a pup, that can stay with a dog their entire lives no matter what training you put them through and it's not really their fault.

if he is normally fine around you and your family then just don't let him around anyone else. pretty simple and you don't have to put him down.