Thread: Iron Shirt Qigong

Threaded View

.....just thought I'd cross-post a comment made by Patterson himself on the subject in question, particularly in context to lunghushan's dismissals. For context, "Vince" is the guy swinging the hammer in the clip.

Vince had to control the hammer to land it accurately. The rest is physics. Given that Vince weighed approximately 240 lbs. at the time of the video and we can estimate the distance the hammer travels at about eight feet give or take. The hammer is a known quantity at 8 lbs. and we know that the shaft of the hammer is four feet long. Physics majors anyone? (Patterson is, so am I...)

Even if we assume that Vince's given momentum and acceleration imparted to the hammer is a constant, (which clearly it is not as you can see him snap his waist into the blow) and the fact that the full brunt of both the momentum and the kinetic potential are transferred into and through my body since my body's mass is much higher than that of the hammer (allowing for of course my body's ability to somewhat diminish said potential, leaf), it still results in an impact that is more than substantial any way you care to slice it. Even with conservative estimates a "conditioned abdomen" cannot endure it. And remember, you can see him shank the third into my solar plexus. Try that with a "conditioned abdomen".
    Last edited by QuaiJohnCain; 03-30-2007 at 11:16 AM.