Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Iron Shirt Qigong

.....just thought I'd cross-post a comment made by Patterson himself on the subject in question, particularly in context to lunghushan's dismissals. For context, "Vince" is the guy swinging the hammer in the clip.

Vince had to control the hammer to land it accurately. The rest is physics. Given that Vince weighed approximately 240 lbs. at the time of the video and we can estimate the distance the hammer travels at about eight feet give or take. The hammer is a known quantity at 8 lbs. and we know that the shaft of the hammer is four feet long. Physics majors anyone? (Patterson is, so am I...)

Even if we assume that Vince's given momentum and acceleration imparted to the hammer is a constant, (which clearly it is not as you can see him snap his waist into the blow) and the fact that the full brunt of both the momentum and the kinetic potential are transferred into and through my body since my body's mass is much higher than that of the hammer (allowing for of course my body's ability to somewhat diminish said potential, leaf), it still results in an impact that is more than substantial any way you care to slice it. Even with conservative estimates a "conditioned abdomen" cannot endure it. And remember, you can see him shank the third into my solar plexus. Try that with a "conditioned abdomen".
    Last edited by QuaiJohnCain; 03-30-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Iron Shirt Qi Kong

Guys do anyone happen to posses a book in "China Mordern Chi Kung" printed isbn 7-5009-0994-2/G.951, the book was written in Simplify Chinese Character. If any of you posses of this book and understand Chinese... all your argument will be settle. Inside this great book.. there are more than a few hundred kind of Chinese Chi Kung practise from ancient time to present time.. some from health, Spiritua to Martial Art Chi Kung. Inside this book, there are 3 types of Hard Qi Kong, 1) Golden Bell 2)Iron Shirt 3)Golden Bell & Iron Shirt. The 3rd class are rarely hear off.. but it was a myth that this stlye was created by Wudang Zhan San Feng. This stlye does not require bashing or medication to support the training. It is purely done on breathing style. It is said with every breathing excercise you make, it will help you develope your skin and bones. And it is the fastest way to achieve "Hard Chi Kung" and helps to improve health and avoid sickness. According to the book Shaolin Chi Kung Golden Bell is the safest way to practise.. but you master a few basic, intermediate and advance chi Kung. Advance chi kung such as Micro Cosmic, once master you could proceed to Macro Cosmic and train the Golden Bell. Some of you have it right.. you need to apply bashing your body plus chi exercise and medication.. to attaint the hardness state.. this are done part by body part. Well currently I am on my way for the Macro Cosmic training, and now I am deciding which Hard Chi Kung training I will take, most probably the Golden Bell & Iron Shirt. Any Chi Kung training will be very benificial if you have Micro Cosmic & Macro Cosmic as foundation. It will prevent internal injury to your various organ.

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to comment that we can train in Iron Shirt at the Chicago Shaolin Temple if we so choose. I've found it very interesting, as we use Ba Duan Jin and Yi Jin Jing to work on focusing our chi to particular spots, and then work at taking blows from fists, knees, sticks and even baseball bats. We also just built a handing beam that they will swing at us.

Its pretty remarkable. Whether or not its good for long term, I don't know, but I don't plan on doing it daily for years... I just want to learn it and get a little better at taking blows. In fact, I only started learning Kung Fu 4 months ago and I can already take fairly hard hits and will soon be breaking big sticks over my stomach or back.

All I can say is don't really knock it until you try it. Sometimes it hurts (i.e. when me and a few students used 2x4s to hit each other), but when you are having a good night and your energy is right, it doesn't hurt even for powerful hits. We also lay on the ground with boards across our stomachs and have other students stand on them, usually like 300 - 400 lbs.

I'd be happy to talk more about my experiences so feel free to ask.

Ben

I've taken some iron shirt and iron palm training when I was going to the Shaolin Do kwoon in San Marcos. We would condition our chest and abs with a makiwari board and toughen our forearms and shins by rolling a 30 l.b. iron bar over them. I haven't done that training though in years. I definetely have to check out the Chicago Shaolin Temple sometime.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by wutangforever View Post
    I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to comment that we can train in Iron Shirt at the Chicago Shaolin Temple if we so choose. I've found it very interesting, as we use Ba Duan Jin and Yi Jin Jing to work on focusing our chi to particular spots, and then work at taking blows from fists, knees, sticks and even baseball bats. We also just built a handing beam that they will swing at us.

Its pretty remarkable. Whether or not its good for long term, I don't know, but I don't plan on doing it daily for years... I just want to learn it and get a little better at taking blows. In fact, I only started learning Kung Fu 4 months ago and I can already take fairly hard hits and will soon be breaking big sticks over my stomach or back.

All I can say is don't really knock it until you try it. Sometimes it hurts (i.e. when me and a few students used 2x4s to hit each other), but when you are having a good night and your energy is right, it doesn't hurt even for powerful hits. We also lay on the ground with boards across our stomachs and have other students stand on them, usually like 300 - 400 lbs.

I'd be happy to talk more about my experiences so feel free to ask.

Ben
    If you are from Chicago you must have seen Grandmaster John Tsai or his son Kenny do his sledgehammer, bricks, on a rusty nailbed thing at the the summer Chinatown festivals..... I think my sifu even did it one year.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

I just moved back to Chicago this June and didn't happen to catch those demonstrations. Let me know if they do it again!

Thanks,

Ben