Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: book - Wing Chun Warrior - Duncan Leung's True Fighting Episodes

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I believe you.
    Hey, you can kill a man with a lima bean.

-of course, you have to first tape it to the bumper of a Mack Truck...

this thread still has legs!

I can't believe all these "I believe sifu whether he's a bs artist or not".

So Duncan can defend himself with chopsticks.
    Are we to believe his opponent was equally expert in the use of a (pool) stick.

Besides if Ducan was a real expert he would need only one chopstick (not a pair) to defend himself.

As to forms with chopsticks , that's a laugh in itself. Forms can't even teach you unarmed selfdefense let alone weapons useage.

Forms are not supposed to teach you self defence!

Bottom line, is the book worth getting if you like duncan and wing chun in general?

to buy or not to buy?

After what Tony and I have posted I'am not why anyone would pay more than $3.00 for that comic book. By the way, it is a comic book.! Ducan's super exploits are drawn in comic book style. You can see a sample page on wcarchive.com. Do a search on books, duncan leung.
    Last edited by lui1828; 01-30-2007 at 09:45 AM.

I have seen many types of wing chun posted on the internet. Seeing some of Duncan Leungs lineage videos including his own show a great difference in his methods or concepts than many other lines under Yip Man. By the way the link for the book is http://wingchunkungfu.cn/Catalog.html
    I have also read this book and I have shared it with a friend also. I read it and was awestruck at the things that he has done. My friend read it and he was skeptical. We both read the same book but everyone hads different opinions. Not believing that he was Bruce lee's cousin is just the same as not believing the chopstick story. besides a chop stick jammed in you cheek has got to end a fight. page 139.

I have the first five dvds by Duncan Leung and I watch them and learn for them regularly.

When I first started watching them I found some of the drills and principles very different. I was happy that the forms seemed very close to the Ip Chun system I have learnt.

After watching more I have found the concepts and drills very practical and use some of them when teaching my students now.

For the humble student I think access to students of Ip Man is great and an opportunity not to be missed either dvd, book or seminar....I have been lucky to talk and train with several of Ip Man's students and lineages and they all have something to offer. Duncan is a very good wing chun man.

Paul

Not sure whether the book is fiction or not

1. using a chop sticks vs. pool stick.
    This could have happened - if you cannot run and those are the only things you have with you at the time, then use them as weapons. Or do you want to fight an armed person without a weapon! This was what some ancient unarmed karate masters had to do. They were fighting against armed Japanese occupiers and survived.
    There are many self defence clubs + self-defence books that teach people to use anything they have on them as a weapon, e.g. newspaper, book, keys, torch, bicycle, pen, pencil, comb, hand bag, etc. However, I am not sure the level of skills some of those teachers were. Some of them are fake and conmen!

Please correct me if I am wrong about some of the details in the following event, because it happened so long ago: (The man got killed by an axe at day time was correct.)

There was an elderly man killed by a person with an axe two years ago (?) in Britain. This was showed on the BBC evening news. When he was underattacked, he picked up a dustin bin lid to protect himself from a dust bin outside somebody's house. Unfortunately, he got killed on the main road at day time, and witnesses were present. I am not sure whether the police had caught the killer or not.

The point I am trying to make is - if your life is in danger, then use anything to save yourself. Do not worry about whether you know how to use it or not. Or whether people are laughing at your! Worry about them, after you have survived the attack! You may looked like a fool to other people, but you may live. Which one is more important - staying alive or ending up death?

2.There is the Blindfolded with Double Knives vs. Razor Sharp Sword Wielding Expert.

Not sure whether this is truth or not. Fighting blindfolded with out a weapon or with a weapon is not recommended. You are always in a disadvantage situation, unless you have no choice, e.g. war - fighting in a very thick jungle at night, without any light is eqivalent to both of you and your opponent(s) being blindfolded, e.g. Second World War.

There is a small paragraph in Sifu Ting Leung's book - wing chun kuen, described Sifu Yip Man blindfolded and sparred with a choy lee fut master in an unarmed demonstration, inorder to raise money for a charity. The match was declared as a draw.

On the Sun newspaper or Morrior newspaper several years ago, there was an article about a blind female karate student (brown or black belt), who could spar and beat up people in her club. She was also a school teacher. She could tell how many people were in the room by listening to their foot steps.
    However, she had been blind for more than 10 years and were forced to learn to listen to movement of sound. She was one in ten thousand, who could do it.

3. there is the obligitory mysterious old man who taught Duncan the secret death touch....
    No comments.

Tony or anyone- can you provid more information why you think the book is fiction.

Does the book contains any information regarding to wing chun training method & application in real fighting?

Thank you
    Hitman

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I believe you.
    Hey, you can kill a man with a lima bean.

-of course, you have to first tape it to the bumper of a Mack Truck...
    lmao very funny

Comic Book

First of all, this book is a comic book. And I'm sorry, but the stories are so out in left field, Only the weak minded could take them seriously.

Second, as far as Leung's training is concerned.... I have seen the movies of his school, and those of his lineage... I see many things that I find hard to understand from a Wing Chun perspective. Kwan Sao against the Round House Kick for example...Talk about force against Force! and I see his students doing this where both sides are heavly padded up. Kicker with 3 or 4 leg pads on, and defender with 3 or 4 arm pads on.....This gives a false sense as to how well this defensive method will reaklly work. Without the pads and against someone who can really deliver a round kick...Like a Thai...the defender useing the Kwan sao will likely end up with broken arms, Think about it, You are facing a guy delivering a rear leg round house kick...if you have time to step in to the kick and lift your leg to guard and block with a Kwan Sao, you could have stepped away from the kick and delivered your own kick to the kickers supporting leg, without ever having to engage the Round kick. This would be a non force against force application. All of their Wing Chun seems to be very LONG RANGE application....Isn't Wing Chun supposed to be a close range system. Theirs does not seem to be. Their Circle training really focuses on long range application, with very committed technique application and no closeing the gap to a close range.

It may be effective for some, but it's not my cup of tea....I would however love to learn that chopstick thing......

I have read the book and taught it was informative, educational, and entertaining. It doesn't matter if anyone believes the stories of any sifu, but what matters is a sifu can teach you how to use the art. Based on my experience of Sibak Duncan Leung, he does teach his students how to apply wing chun under fighting conditionings and definitely is a master of his art. Moreover, he doesn't need anyone defending him, but I think it is disrespectful to attack any established wing chun sifus. More could be accomplish if we discuss our technical disagreements, than attacking a person's personal character. Just my two cents.

Tony,

My suggestion to you go to a Duncan Leung branch and see why it works or don't work. I am not trying to be funny here. I am sure some of the instructors or seniors would be glad to clear up any misunderstandings you may have about their techniques. Their techniques work because of their application "coverage" and knowing how to use strongest leverage and structure in (kwan sao) against the weakest structure of a roundhouse kick. The pads are to protect the kickers (non-wing chun person) against the wing chun's offense/defense. Not a wing chun person from a non-wing chun attacker. Wearing pads allows the non-wing chun attacker to apply more pressure behind an attack and for the wing chun athlete to feel some real pressure against his techniques (kwan sao). This is how they know if their hands will work under real conditions. Of course, if you don't know how to use kwan sao properly, you can break your arms against a roundhouse. This is what attracted me to Sibak Duncan Leung and Sifu Allan Lee. Their wing chun techniques can truly handle some serious attacks, which intuitively seem impossible.

PS: I just remembered a story told by one of Yip Man's sons of the 'Old Man' disarming a man with a loaded gun. Is this fact or fiction? Should I be disrespectful and mock Yip Man's fighting ability and character? I don't think so. Could Yip Man teach students how to use the art? YES. Likewise Sibak Duncan Leung has helped many to use the art and it doesn't matter if don't believe none of his stories. The question always goes back to function and can I apply what my sifu is teaching me in fighting? Duncan Leung could have fought and beaten a man with a pool stick with his chop sticks? the story sounds like pulp fiction, but if it is true, than it is a wonderful wing chun tale for the future generation. If it is not true, doesn't take away the work he has done for wing chun gung fu. Last note, I believe all good teachers encourage healthy skepticism, but not bad manners. I have no problem with the skeptics here, but let us not be rude when we don't have the facts or experience to support our doubts or feelings.
    Last edited by FooFighter; 02-05-2007 at 10:13 AM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Dear Bao,

Does the book contains more than 30% information regarding to wing chun training method & application in real fighting?

Thank you
    Hitman

Hit Man,

This book is not a how to book about wing chun, however it does outline some of vital wing chun concepts that helped Sibak win his fights and maybe some of the ideas will fill in the gaps for some students? Most of the book's content contain his personal fighting experiences and history. If you are looking for a how to book on wing chun, than this book isn't for you. If you want to learn more about Duncan Leung, than this book is for you.
    Last edited by FooFighter; 02-06-2007 at 08:10 PM.

wingchun Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by lui1828 View Post
    After what Tony and I have posted I'am not why anyone would pay more than $3.00 for that comic book. By the way, it is a comic book.! Ducan's super exploits are drawn in comic book style. You can see a sample page on wcarchive.com. Do a search on books, duncan leung.
    Tony,Ihave no idea who you are.but I see you know nothing about wing chun,and even less about SiFu Duncan.so please if you want to know how SiFu Duncan stops roundhouse kicks,please visit one of his student in nyc.he will be MORE than HAPPY to show you how we do it.NO POWER WHATS SO EVER.JUST PROPER POSITIONING.

Cheito Ito,

I think Tony has a right to be a skeptic (good martial artists are generally skeptical), but I think it is unfair to assume he knows nothing wing chun. It is clear he has no direct experience with Duncan Leung and his methodology. Tony has the right to think as he likes, but forcing him to change his view will do nothing. I am sure if he feels like knowing the truth, he would simply visit a Duncan Leung branch or study his materials. If he doesn't care, than it no big deal. The world moves on. Martial arts is such a hostile environment these days, it is better to be a farmer.

The Wing Chun Fight Club

The Wing Chun Fight Club sells this book and many more books, tapes and DVD's this is a good site to look through and find Wing Chun related items.