Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aikido when no one is trying to fall down

Aikido when no one is trying to fall down

cjurakpt Guest
    for the life of me can't figure out what the point of that whole exercise is...

resistance? aliveness?

That is not Aikido!

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JetLi'sFearless View Post
    resistance? aliveness?
    resistance as in "let me let you grab my wrist first, then I'll start resisting"?

alive as in "let me move really slowly and predictably so you can keep up with me no problem"?

yeah, ok, resisting and alive, sure, whatever...

probably looks a lot like the cluster fu(k you had with your ganbanger friends in the dark alley...

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    probably looks a lot like the cluster fu(k you had with your ganbanger friends in the dark alley...
    LOL!! Only with fat guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    That is not Aikido!
    While neither of those guys demonstrates much of an understanding of knife dymamics, it is still probably closer to what aikido would be like from a wrist grab position against a knife that the way aikido is usually taught.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-26-2007 at 09:09 PM.

I have no idea what those guys were doing in the first clips. For a more represenative selection of Aiki-randori, please check these clips out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTt8YwPaPCY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Jt3Ekcfps

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    resistance as in "let me let you grab my wrist first, then I'll start resisting"?

alive as in "let me move really slowly and predictably so you can keep up with me no problem"?

yeah, ok, resisting and alive, sure, whatever...

so what were you expecting them to do Move their arms in circles and run 10 feet away form the other guy t o not have him grab their arm? or try to grab the arm while the other guy knows hes doing for it and anticipates it before he can move his arm back (which is an impossible feat in case you ddint know)? or throw bare knuckle strikes like a boxer?s eriously what else were you expecting?

judging by some threads here not long ago questioning the effectiveness of locks, most people here cant even get a simple arm lock or standing arm bar to work, so how do you expect these guys to be able to do it to each other (who know each others techniques and are partners of the same ma style) every second like in as teven seagal movie?

The older guy spends too much time focusing on keeping the knife away from him, instead of attempting to isolate the arm. I saw a few attempts at it, but he definetly should have had it after the throw with the arm sticking up in the air like that.

Unless I'm missing the point of the drill.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    While neither of those guys demonstrates much of an understanding of knife dymamics, it is still probably closer to what aikido would be like from a wrist grab position against a knife that the way aikido is usually taught.
    Hi Knifefighter,

In Aikido the Nage does not attack the Uke. He either waits for an attack or draws out an attack. A GOOD Aikidoka would rather evade until a beneficial opening occurrs than grab a wrist and wrestle around accomplishing nothing. Traditional Aikido would also utilize strikes, if necessary. This is not Aikido as it is meant to be practiced even in knife randori.

that was awful

here's better akido
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SJ5sHOGZv4
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Shaolinlueb, you're comparing apples and oranges. Your clip was Steven Segal doing techniques on a non-resisting partners. Aiki-randori, as shown in my clips (and was attempted in the OP's clips) is against a restisting partner. Very different training methods and very different visually.

Quote Originally Posted by JetLi'sFearless View Post
    so what were you expecting them to do Move their arms in circles and run 10 feet away form the other guy t o not have him grab their arm? or try to grab the arm while the other guy knows hes doing for it and anticipates it before he can move his arm back (which is an impossible feat in case you ddint know)? or throw bare knuckle strikes like a boxer?s eriously what else were you expecting?
    Let the knifewielder initiate action and respond appropriately. Attempt to gain control of the weapon while defending yourself, then move on to a disarming or stab-back technique.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon