Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelle Yeoh

she wasn't panned in geisha

actually i read alot of the revues for that movie and she was the only one out of three chinese girls who actually got praised for her role.

I liked her best in Yes, Madam when she stole the show away from Cynthia Rothrock (IMO).

I saw her in Sunshine. The movie was just okay, but her role in it could have been played by anyone, and neither she nor Hiroyuki Sanada have much to do in the film. Sunshine is a *bit* like a combination of Event Horizon and the first Alien movie.

Michelle is 45, but she's aging really well.

First a Japanese Geisha...

...now Michelle is a French Knight

Michelle Yeoh receives top French award
    By PARVEEN GILL

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian actress Datuk Michelle Yeoh, who shot to international stardom after her role as a Bond girl in Tomorrow Never Dies, has been made a “Knight” of the Legion of Honour by the French Government.

French Ambassador to Malaysia Alain du Boispean presented the Chevalier award to the 45-year-old Hong Kong-based actress at a ceremony at his residence on behalf of the French President yesterday.

Michelle, dressed in a grey Cavalli gown, said: “I am truly honoured to receive such a great honour and I would like to dedicate this award to my family.

“I would also like to share this award to not only Malaysians here but also in France, who have been working hard to strengthen the bilateral relationship between both countries.

Memorable occasion: Du Boispean and Yeoh sharing a light moment after she was conferred the award in Kuala Lumpur last night.
    “I promise to be a worthy representative of both countries.”

Yeoh, well-known for performing her own stunts in action films, was presented the award – established by legendary French leader Napoleon Bonaparte in 1802 – for her involvement in various charity organisations throughout the world.

Du Boispean told Yeoh: “By conferring the highest distinction, France would like to pay a special tribute to your outstanding performing talent, to the exceptional place you occupy in the multiple worlds of cinema – be they Asian martial arts, Hollywood or international cinema.”

Yeoh, who is the fiancee of Ferrari chief Datuk Jean Todt, is actively involved in organisations such as AIDS Concern Hong Kong, American Foundation for AIDS Research, Brain Centre Foundation, Force of Nature Foundation, Hong Kong Cancer Fund, Institute of Cerebral and Medullary Disorders and Save China's Tigers.

The 1983 Miss Malaysia, who was listed by People magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful women in the world in 1997, is the 12th Malaysian to have been accorded the Legion of Honour since 1998.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Goodwill Ambassador

for the Asia Injury Prevention Foundation
    Michelle Yeoh in Hanoi
    15:09' 18/03/2008 (GMT+7)

VietNamNet Bridge – Malaysian movie star Michelle Yeoh is now in Hanoi as the Goodwill Ambassador of traffic safety for the Asia Injury Prevention Foundation.

The star of “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” arrived in Vietnam in the evening on March 13. She paid visits to victims of traffic accidents at the Hanoi-based Vietnam-Germany Hospital and the Central Pediatrics Hospital, and Protect helmet factory on March 16.

On March 17, the actress visited Hanoi-Amsterdam High School to talk with students about the importance of helmets, had a walk around Hoan Kiem Lake, and attended a press conference on traffic safety for Vietnamese children.

This morning, March 18, she presented helmets to students of Tay Son primary school.

Michelle Yeoh will stay in Hanoi till March 19. During this time she will visit the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, some museums and other victims of traffic accidents.

This is the second visit to Vietnam by Michelle Yeoh in her ten years as Goodwill Ambassador of traffic safety and a representative of the Asia Injury Prevention Foundation.

Yeoh is one of the top Asian movie stars, famous for martial arts and action films. Miss Malaysia 1983 was selected as one of the most beautiful people in the world by People magazine in 1997. The magazine dubbed her “the queen of martial arts movies”. Yeoh has had no formal martial arts training; she relies on her dance training and instructors, and does many of her own stunts.

Michelle Yeoh started her film career acting in action and martial arts movies in Hong Kong such as The Heroic Trio in 1993, and the Yuen Woo-ping films Tai Chi Master and Wing Chun in 1994.

Like many other Hong Kong stars, Yeoh has attempted to break into Hollywood. She starred in the James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies as Wai Lin (1997). In 2005, Yeoh starred as the graceful Mameha in the film adaptation of Memoirs of a Geisha. This year a Hollywood movie, “The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor”, will go to theatre and feature a role by Yeoh.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well, Michelle is a good actor. But in behind the screen movie staffs (producer, director, etc.), she is not so good.

She did very well in international movies like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Tomorrow never dies. Also, I think she had good performances in other international movies made in the last 5 years.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Escape from Huang Shi

Once a Bond girl, always a Bond girl...

Pleasing reunion for Michelle Yeoh and Bond director
    By SETO KIT YAN

Former Bond girl Datuk Michelle Yeoh works once again with the director of her Hollywood debut Bond flick.

DATUK Michelle Yeoh is a most energetic and industrious personality who is never shy of hard-work. This year, the leading Asian actress features in three Hollywood movies including Escape from Huang Shi (known earlier as The Children of Huang Shi), yet she makes it a point to include projects that are close to her heart such as the global road safety campaign that takes up much of her time and energy.

In Escape from Huang Shi, she portrays Madame Wang, a stately noblewoman-turned-merchant who helps Englishman George Hogg in his quest to spare 60 orphaned boys the horrors of the Japanese invasion by leading them 1,000km across the snow-covered Liu Pan Shan mountains to safety at the edge of the Mongolian desert.

“Madame Wang was a very strong, independent woman who lived in very difficult times and needed to survive in a treacherous world and war. She was blessed with an acute business acumen which probably saved her in such precarious times.
    Datuk Michelle Yeoh and Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Escape from Huang Shi. In the film, Yeoh portrays Madame Wang, a stately noblewoman-turnedmerchant who helps Englishman George Hogg in his quest to spare orphaned boys (pic bottom) the horrors of the Japanese invasion.

“Meeting Mr Hogg reminded her of compassion and a sense of humanity she thought she had lost. And she made huge personal sacrifices for the children and Mr Hogg. If not for that, Hogg and the children would have perished. She was a friend that we all want to have,” said Yeoh in an e-mail interview.

Yeoh also revealed that she drew her inspiration from the many characters in her life. “Strong independent women I meet or watching female politicians... but mainly from Roger (Spottiswoode, the director of the film). He knew what each character had to bring to his story. I didn’t have to guess, and I like clarity especially when time was of essence.”

Calling hers a cameo role as she did not have many scenes in the movie, Yeoh, nonetheless, took on the role as she looked forward to working with Spottiswoode.

“His passion for this story, commitment to the dedication, and sufferings endured by the real characters; it was a story he wanted so movingly to tell.”

Yeoh first worked with the film director in 1997 when she made her Hollywood debut as Bond babe Wai Lin in Tomorrow Never Dies. Now, a decade later, she has much to say about him.

“Watching Roger work for this movie was seeing a director weaving his magic with sincere conviction in his art and love for this tale. He had lost so much weight, but the fire in his eyes burned so intensely, physically tired but mentally and spiritually strong!

“He spun each scene I had, whether with Jonathan Rhys Meyers (who plays Oxford graduate George Hogg) or Radha Mitchell (who plays Australian nurse Lee Pearson) with mastery, patience and gentleness. It was a pleasure to have this opportunity to work with Roger again, and I hope it will be a full length feature next time.”

Escape from Huang Shi is also her second Hollywood film with iconic Hong Kong actor Chow Yun-Fat after their last outing together in the Ang Lee-helmed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), which eventually became the highest-grossing foreign-language film in American history. However, it is a pity that they do not share any scenes together this time.

“The script had it that Chow and I weren’t in the same scenes. (My scenes were) mainly with Jonathan Rhys Meyers who is an amazingly intense and talented actor and the wonderful Radha Mitchell. I enjoyed immensely the short three days I had with them.

“I particularly enjoyed the one short scene with Radha Mitchell, she’s luminous and strong. I would liked to have gotten to know her better. (She is) so talented.”

What are her thoughts about Escape from Huang Shi?

“It is a very touching story of survival, love, humanity, horrors of war, but most of all one man’s search for truth, commitment and love to himself and for others. It was most moving to hear the survivors talk about Mr Hogg.”

Yeoh, 45, says she is privileged to have worked with some of the best, yet she is always seeking new challenges, and so her search continues with more films coming up.

Later this year, we’ll see her in a couple more Hollywood flicks. She plays a sorceress in Mummy 3: The Tomb of the Dragon Emperor which is due in cinemas late July and portrays a nun in Babylon AD that will be out early September.

Although her hectic schedule is packed, Yeoh still manages to fit in projects which are especially meaningful to her. As the Global Road Safety Ambassador for Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA), Yeoh is in the midst of shooting a documentary film for the Make Roads Safe Campaign directed by Richard Stanley.
    Radha Mitchell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Chow Yun-Fat team up to save lives in Escape from Huang Shi.

“We’ve filmed, so far, in Hanoi on roads, schools, hospitals ... then Kuala Lumpur and New York. Next in South Africa, India.” In her capacity as Global Road Safety Ambassador, she urges people to wear helmets while riding on a motorcycle.

On March 31, Escape from Huang Shi premiered in China, but Yeoh had to be in New York at the United Nation’s General Assembly, where Chairman Commission for Global Road Safety Lord Robertson of Port Ellen together with other delegates made history.

The first ever global UN Conference on road safety was approved, in an effort to reduce the rapidly growing death toll on the world’s roads.

“The resolution was passed and we will have our first ministerial meeting on Road Safety in Russia in 2009. Meeting (UN Secretary General) Ban Ki-moon certainly was an honour.”

Yeoh is also scheduled to attend amfAR’s (American Foundation for AIDS Research) annual Cinema Against AIDS, to be held on May 22 during the 61st Cannes International Film Festival. She is set to serve as one of the chairs of the event along with several other prominent personalities including Hollywood stars like Sharon Stone and Madonna.

She has been voted once again by buyers and exhibitors as one of Hong Kong’s Most Desirable Actresses – along with Maggie Cheung, Carina Lau, Charlene Choi, Maggie Q, Cecilia Cheung and Malaysian Angelica Lee – in a survey done during the 2008 Hong Kong Filmart last month.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is totally stupid

Who cares about Michelle's brother...hold the phone...Big Milk Cow?
    Michelle Yeoh's brother photographed in intimate acts

Bobby Yeoh Lam Jit - the brother of Bond girl Datuk Michelle Yeoh - was photographed engaging in intimate acts with a starlet in a park in Hong Kong.

The 47-year-old businessman was seen kissing and fondling Joey Choi Wai-man, 39, at the park after some drinks.

Choi is known for her 37F breasts, for which she was nicknamed Big Milk Cow.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mazeltov !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Crouching Tigress!

Prequel Gets a Title, Takes Aim at Yeoh and Fassbender

* 12/8/10 at 4:45 PM

Paradise Found: Ridley Scott’s Alien Prequel Gets a Title, Takes Aim at Yeoh and Fassbender

Photo: Eamonn McCormack/Getty Images, VINCENZO PINTO/AFP/Getty Images

Don't believe any rumors about Ridley Scott’s Alien prequel being pushed back a year. Our sources tell us Fox is definitely making it and that production starts in March. Last Thursday, an online report stated — incorrectly, it turns out — that the releases of Scott's back-to-back prequels were being moved to 2013 and 2014. Not so.

Here’s what’s really going on: Insiders familiar with the situation tell us that this is merely the echo of a failed effort to cast the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio. Initially, there was some talk at Scott Free of pushing back production to accommodate DiCaprio's schedule, so that he could shoot Clint Eastwood’s J. Edgar Hoover biopic back-to-back with Scott’s two-part Alien prequel. That, apparently, will not be happening — there will be no "push" to next year.

Oh, and by the way, let's stop calling it "Ridley Scott's Alien prequel" — the title is Paradise.

We're told that Paradise reboots the original Alien franchise, in that the story follows a group of space travelers who encounter a monstrous alien creature that picks them off, one by one. Since there's no working budget yet on the film, formal offers have not gone out to actors, but our spies tell us that several are at the top of Scott's list for leading roles.

By now, readers of this blog know that Noomi Rapace has been the front-runner for the role of “Elizabeth Shaw,” the film’s main character, but we’ve learned of other parts, too: There's "David," who's actually an android, an earlier version of the Bishop 341-B character that Lance Henriksen famously played in Aliens. We're told that Scott was interested in Michael Fassbender for the part, but that Fassbender's reps had sought such an outrageous amount of money for their client that they — forgive the pun — alienated Scott. Of course, there's still a chance that Fassbender's reps may salvage the talks, but things haven't been going so well.

We also hear that Scott hopes to give the part of “Vickers” — a fortysomething, tough-but-sexy woman — to crouching tigress Michelle Yeoh.

There are other interesting roles, including an older businessman along for the ride, but we’re most curious about the part of Engineer 1, who we’re told is to be "played" by a six-foot-five-inch actor, but will actually be entirely CGI, à la Gollum in The Lord of the Rings films.

Finally, still no word on the fate of Paradise visual effects designer Henry South, whose Twitter feed has been suspended ever since his November 9 tweet: “Started work on alien prequel today!! Absolutely stunning. Worth waiting till late 2011 for peeps!”

South had worked on the effects for Scott’s Robin Hood, as well as the forthcoming installments of Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter, and has no doubt been called on the carpet by the super-secretive Scott.

Henry, Henry, Henry: In space no one can hear you scream, but in cyberspace, everyone can hear you tweet.
    With this and the Aung San Suu Kyi project, Michelle is rocking it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

nto happining

looks like you posted too quick, gotta remember most of these so called "news" sites dont have fact checkers anymore...because they try and break the story first...so they dont wait for confirmation.

ALIEN Prequel NOT Called “Paradise”; Casting Reports False; Will Only Be One Movie
    by Matt Goldberg Postedecember 9th, 2010 at 8:55 am

* 0diggsdigg

slice_alien_movie_image_xenomorph

Yesterday, it looked as if we were getting a huge amount of info on Ridley Scott’s Alien prequel. Vulture reported that the film was called “Paradise”, and that Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds) and Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) were being offered roles. But last night, Chris Petrikin, 20th Century Fox’s Senior Vice President of Corporate Communications, took to the Twitter machine to make some clarifications. He first stated that the title is not “Paradise”. Presumably, “Paradise” could just be an alias for the production. It did seem odd that Fox would make an Alien movie and not put the word “Alien” in the title.

In other clarification news, The Playlist reports that according to a source who’s close to the production, the casting rumors regarding Fassbender and Yeoh are “just plain wrong.” Hit the jump for more rumor control on the Alien prequel.

Petrikin also dispatched the long-held rumor that Scott was actually making two prequels back-to-back. The notion that Scott would be directing two Alien movies came from the director himself while he was doing press for Robin Hood. Here’s the transcript of what he said:

then again this is hollywood and maybe fox just wants to keep things under wraps until they are ready to announce it...so who really knows...but yeoh and fessbender would have been some great additions.

Hollywood is always about rumor and buzz

So even if a news story is false, it's worth posting as long as it's cited and corrected (thanks for that, Doug). We've seen film projects evolve on many of the threads here, and I think that's actually rather fascinating. Plus the rumor mill can be very orchestrated, which is also a fascinating aspect of modern journalism. Case and point, the development of Green Hornet has been hysterical.

Here's more on Michelle's Suu Kyi project
    Actress Yeoh meets Myanmar's Suu Kyi to discuss film
    Source: Reuters Tue Dec 07, 2010, 12:48 pm EST

YANGON (Reuters) - Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh visited Myanmar at the weekend to discuss her plans to play the lead role in a new film about recently released pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Yeoh, who is best known for playing Chinese spy Wai Lin alongside Pierce Brosnan in the 1997 James Bond film "Tomorrow Never Dies" spent Sunday with the Nobel Peace Prize winner to discuss the possibility of playing her in a movie.

The charismatic Suu Kyi, daughter of late independence hero Aung San and adored by many in Myanmar, spent 15 of the past 21 years in detention because of her fight against military dictatorship. She was released on November 13 after her latest period of house arrest expired.

"(Suu Kyi) saw her off at the airport this morning," said Nyan Win, Suu Kyi's lawyer and spokesman.

"Yeoh spent the whole day at Daw Suu's residence," he added, referring to Suu Kyi. "I understand she is planning to play her in a film in the near future."

Yeoh, 48, is also a dancer and is well known for performing her own stunts in action movies.

She has starred mostly in Asian films and was nominated for a BAFTA award for best actress for her role in Ang Lee's 2000 box office hit "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" which won four Oscars.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

new trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Long interview

I'm only posting the intro - follow the link if you want to read the actual interview...
    Michelle Yeoh
    Posted: 9 Oct 2011

For years, Michelle Yeoh has lived and breathed the iconic Burmese freedom fighter Aung San Suu Kyi. In this exclusive interview, the actress speaks candidly to Mark Tjhung about how her controversial new movie The Lady changed her life forever.

As she swivels on her make-up stool while elegantly attired in a leggy champagne one-piece, Michelle Yeoh hardly resembles a kung fu movie star. She bubbles with an exuberant air, laughs in a way that shakes her tiny frame and, perhaps most strikingly of all, even at the age of 49, radiates a youthful grace – all characteristics that suggest ‘beauty queen’ far more than ‘stunt starlet’.

It was decades ago that the Malaysian-born actress was first branded with the ‘action girl’ tag. She’s since been labelled as ‘Hong Kong’s Martial Arts Mistress’ and even ‘Asia’s Queen of Action’. Indeed, her breakout movies, from 1992’s Police Story 3 to The Heroic Trio and Yuen Woo-ping’s Tai Chi Master, all possessed a combative twist; and the films that propelled her to global fame – her motorcycling Bond Girl role in Tomorrow Never Dies and Ang Lee’s elegant, wildly-acclaimed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon – followed a distinctly ‘physical’ path. Yet in recent years, Yeoh has taken on more expansive, diverse roles outside the asskicking genre and, somewhat ironically, her latest role – easily the most important of her career – is about as non-violent as it gets.

In Luc Besson’s upcoming The Lady, Yeoh portrays Aung San Suu Kyi, the revered Burmese Nobel Peace Prize-winning freedom fighter who has led the non-violent opposition against Burma’s military junta. Yeoh has described this as the role of a lifetime. There have been whisperings about the potential for an Oscar nod, and The Lady, after debuting at the Toronto Film Festival last month, has already started making waves on both cinematic and political fronts.

In her first in-depth interview since the movie’s world premiere screening, the actress talks exclusively with Time Out about being deported from Burma and living, breathing (and then finally meeting) The Lady herself.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Officer Michelle

Officer Michelle reminds me of Yes Madam, which I just watched again recently. It's the ultimate kung fu buddy flick, only the buddies are Michelle and Cynthia Rothrock.
    Michelle Yeoh receives France's highest honour
    Posted: 16 March 2012 1824 hrs

French President Nicolas Sarkozy (L) awards Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh the officer of the Legion of Honour during a ceremony at the Elysee Palace on Mar 14. (AFP/Pool/Kenzo Tribouillard)

KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh has been awarded the officer of Legion of Honour, the highest decoration by France, during a ceremony in Paris on Wednesday.

The award was presented by French President Nicolas Sarkozy at the Elysee Palace, the official residence of the president, according to a statement by the Malaysian embassy in Paris on Friday.

Present at the ceremony were the president's wife Carla Bruni, Bernadette Chirac, wife of the former president Jacques Chirac as well as Malaysian ambassador to France Abdul Aziz Zainal.

During the ceremony, President Sarkozy decorated 11 personalities from the world of arts and entertainment with the Legion of Honour or The Order of Merit.

Besides Yeoh, French composer Jean-Michel Barre and designer Jean-Claude Jitrois also received the Legion of Honour award.

The statement said the Legion of Honour is France's highest honour, while the Order of Merit, consisting of five distinct ranks, rewards men and women, French or foreigners, for their exemplary services rendered to France or to the causes supported by France.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips