Thread: 5 Elements

5 Elements

Hello,

I don't practise Hung Gar, but my Xingyi teacher used to practise it and I've always had a lot of respect for the system. I was just wondering if there is there a similarity between Xingyi's 5 Elements and Hung Gar's 5 Elements?

Any thoughts?

S
    Black Mantis

both are based on traditional chinese wu xing/ng hang theory, but the techniques and concepts are different.

Hung kyun five elements techniques use purely fist techniques. practical and not to complicated southern style boxing.

gold/metal (gam) - horizontal/vertical splitting backfist strikes (fan gam kyun, gold splitting strike)

wood (muk) - short range simultaneous block and strike (gap muk cheui, wood squeezing punch)

water (seui) - long range "scissor" swinging technique (seui long cheui, water wave strike)

fire (fo) - long range continuous straight punches (fo jin cheui, fire arow punches)

earth (tou) - upward rising back fist strikes (tou paau cheui, earth throwing strike)

you can see those "five elements" of Hung Kyun here (in the beginning, there are "five animals"):

http://www.lghk.org/videos/lghk.org_LCHS_syk.wmv

performed by my sifu, Grandmaster Lam Chun Sing (Lam Jansing), the youngest son of Grandmaster Lam Jou

by the way, having some friends doing xing yi or yi quan, i really like wu xing quan of xing yi quan system - direct, useful and no-nosense techniques.

all the best
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

I have just started my journey into xingyi a few months ago but can tell you that the energy of the 5 elements in both systems is similar. The motions may vary, but the priniples are the same.

XINGYI
    Metal= splitting like an axe
    Wood=crushing
    Fire=Pounding
    Water=drilling
    Earth=crossing

HUNG GAR
    Metal=splitting and punishing blows
    Wood=Simultaneous block and strike
    Fire=Rapid straight punch
    Water=long swinging upward movement
    Earth=From the ground

Some of the explanations of the elements may vary from school to school, but the principles are similar.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Are Hung Gar's five elements contained within a form, or rather are they principles in other forms (Tiger & Crane etc.) ?
    Black Mantis

Quote Originally Posted by blackmantis View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts on this. Are Hung Gar's five elements contained within a form, or rather are they principles in other forms (Tiger & Crane etc.) ?
    I think that's what he was trying to link to here:

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    you can see those "five elements" of Hung Kyun here (in the beginning, there are "five animals"):

http://www.lghk.org/videos/lghk.org_LCHS_syk.wmv

performed by my sifu, Grandmaster Lam Chun Sing (Lam Jansing), the youngest son of Grandmaster Lam Jou

...although the link didn't work for me. Can anybody else link the video?