Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin in America

Shaolin in America

All the different posts about monks and buddhism as well as the christianity thread has inspired me to start a new thread.

What is/should Shaolin Temple Kung Fu training be like in the US?

Do people really train at the US Shaolin schools because they are taught by monks or because they are taught by instructors that were put through the rigorous training that makes up modern day Shaolin Kung Fu? No other TCMA has the virtuous monikor held over them (though some try to imply it).

In China, it is clear that only a select few at Shaolin are monks and that many of the monks don't do kung fu. Why is it so different here?

OK, I understand the early marketing of the first wave. Let's leave them aside for the moment. My kids are training with what Gene calls the third wave from Shaolin. They are very clear that they are not monks. Just trained at Shaolin. In fact some have tried to get them to have more buddhism in their school but they keep that seperate. As a practicing Christian, I feel no conflict here and not pushing the monk aspect hasn't seem to hurt "the business"

How do other Shaolin schools (Texas, Houston, etc) treat the monk issue?
    How does the community feel about learning from a "non-monk"

Just curious

I could really care less if a sifu is a monk or not. What I look for is if he is a good teacher with good Kung Fu. Period.
    But I know that some people would prefer a monk because of the "coolness" factor associated with Shaolin monks due to legends, movies, TV shows, video games, etc.

2nd or 3rd

Actually, hasayfu, I called Chen Fei a 2nd waver. See Shaolin’s Second Wave - Two Shaolin Disciples Found A Silicon Valley Start-Up in our 2004 January/February issue. His brethren at Shaolin Kung Fu Chan are more what I defined as 3rd wavers. It's a delicate distinction, I confess, but it was really more of an homage to Toffler (and a confession that I can't keep track of all the immigrant monks anymore). A major distinction I was making with my Shaolin Third Wave piece (in our 2007 Shaolin special) was that many Shaolin wuseng aren't wearing robes anymore - they aren't marketing that they're from Shaolin at all. The second wave de-emphasized Shaolin training. Some of the third wave don't even acknowledge it unless asked. I think that's a natural result of the rise in the biaoyanseng.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

picky picky

As you point out, Chen Fei blurs the distinction. He is clearly the 2nd wave based on when he arrived but he is in the fore front of what you define as the 3rd wave movement. He was also one of the youngest of the 2nd wavers.

As an example, it is very common for the Shaolin Kung Fu Chan bunch to get together and help each other out at a moments notice for shows or teaching even though they are not financially tied to each other. I really do like the brotherhood they've exhibited. From the outside, I think Chen Fei is one of the driving forces behind that cooperation.

not only that, you need to sink your elbows...

...but you're right. That was another major point I was making with the third wave - the cooperation heretofore unseen with the Shaolin brotherhood.

We'll see if Chen Fei makes it into the fourth wave. I think I know what the fourth wave will be, and I'm not sure he'll qualify. Then again, Toffler only went to three, so I may abandon the concept entirely.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shao-Lin monk 'image',...

To answer another part of the question,..I think that the 'monk' image as a selling point is BAD for business, as a long term projection. Too many people are buying 'robes & beads', claiming 'Monk-hood', and dirtying-up the name of Shao-Lin! Most people ,(the media driven public), don't even know that the words mean 'small - forest',...LOL'! Since 'most' American students don't speak Chinese,..I think it's kind of funny/sad that they chant Buddhist sayings, light & bow with incense,...etc.' Sort of' like the hip-hop/Rap kids' that aren't from the American Afro-American culture, getting all 'jiggy wit' it up in da hood',...yikes! Now, I'm not saying you have to be Chinese only, but if you are Seriuos about it, then learn how to speak Chinese,..learn what the cultural influences are to and behind such actions/rituals as; lighting incense and bowing three times,..or before you put a picture of the 'Kitchen God' (Tsoa Chun),in your house, understand why,..learn his name,..put it in the 'proper' place. Don't just take some Fung-Shuai practicioner's word for it. (But, that's just my opinion) I remember my Si-Fu travelling to China and being disalusioned' by the Non-Shao Lin appearence of the 'Coaches',...cigerette hanging from his lip,..old' American 80s' T-Shirt that said; Disco-Fever,..or something just as campy',..but Si-Fu said this Teacher/Coach was Excellent!! Look for the 'goods' not the cover'. Gong Xi, Li Ma-Keh

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    I could really care less if a sifu is a monk or not. What I look for is if he is a good teacher with good Kung Fu. Period.
    But I know that some people would prefer a monk because of the "coolness" factor associated with Shaolin monks due to legends, movies, TV shows, video games, etc.
    Well said brother. Well said.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Shaolin Village : Houston

hasayfu,

I train at Shi Xing Hao's school in Houston. I been there for a few years now. One of the main factors I started training there was yes because he was a "monk" (using the term loosely). I also researched the shaolin monks which peeked my interest before I started training there. I was already in martial arts (karate) when I found a Shaolin monk school. I started training Shaolin when Xing Hao was with Shi Deshan and there was only one shaolin school in Houston. For reasons that be, there are now four shaolin schools (led by four different monks) within close proximity of one another here in the China town area.

The Training

When I joined Shaolin here in Houston, I got a reality check. Here I was a karate student of two years learning kung fu. So I thought to myself "no problem" I can do this....even when it came to sparring. After my first week, I never experienced such intensity, hard work or sweat during training. Every part of my body literally hurt and was sore. "San Da" was basically our sparring at the monks school. Shi Deshan is a awesome sand da coach. Every karate technique I threw out there was countered by a take down and suddenly I was flat on my back...lots of times. It was something totally unexpected because take downs were not "legal" in karate sparring. I been hooked ever since. So I stayed with the school, learned shaolin, realized I didnt need a gym membership because I got a good complete packaged work out training at a Shaolin school.

I can't begin to tell you what a difference there was when I was training at a Western martial arts school compared to a TCMA school. The quality was different. It made me question the validity of some of these so called martial arts schools that exist around here.

The Monk Issue

As far as the monk issue goes....I get the feeling that the chinese community here in Houston recognizes the "monks" as Wuseng from Shaolin, nothing more. Houston is home to a very large and growing chinese community. Its Chinatown is nationally known for being one of its largest (aside from Ny and Ca). The Chinese community recognizes the "monks" as coming from Shaolin but focuses mainly on the martial arts/kung fu aspect.....not the monks as being these ordained religious monks. So there is a understanding of this here in Houston and for the most part the real vs fake monk debate is left alone. The majority of the student base here for the shaolin schools are Chinese.

As far as Xing Hao is concerned the monk issue is not "forced". Students are not required to shave their heads, wear robes or have to study Buddhism. The focus is more on Kung Fu and training. I know there are students of the other monks that post around here so they may give you insight about their school.

The Bottom Line

I hope this answered some of the questions you had. There are slim pickings here for TCMA schools in Houston. I can't help to get a chuckle out of those that flame shaolin and say its all wushu, fake, etc. They just don't have a clue. I think too many people focus on the wrong issues of the monks rather than what they have to offer.

Thanks songshan, that was well said and informative.

You mentioned 4 other shaolin schools in the area. Do they get along, keep to themselves or something else?

Hasayfu,

For the most part every school mainly keep to themselves. However, some of the older students who have been training shaolin for a few years know each other and we exchange greetings when we see each other in passing. I think every monk has something special to offer and each have their own "specialty". It just depends on the student and what they want to learn.

hi songshan
    =)
    just exchanging greeting to an old shaolin brother =)
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Hey PK!!!

How are ya? Where ya been !?! Hope all is well.

im good songshan
    just busy with school and work now
    how about your self??
    =D
    ok no more spamming now...hahaha
    back on topic
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團

usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts

i'm of the feeling if you can't speak some chinese well, then you should NOT be able to teach kung fu. I know that may sound "cruel" or "unusual" but I think to maintain cultural integrity a "white person" who wants to teach should at least know the language properly. I think its sad when people who know little about chinese culture or language run a school. Usually the school lacks discipline, and the teacher doesn't have respect either for the students or the art itself. Chinese is NOT hard to learn (at least basic pre-school level)... Its rather pathetic when a teacher can't even count properly in Chinese (as my first "sifu" butchered the language)...

I think the whole "monk" thing is ok...just depends. I think if Americans have respect for the art they will respect their students and treat them as good as a foreign teacher would. The problem is many people lack basic respect. I'm not biased for or against "monks," since I dont personally know any. A lot of people say monks only train in wushu, or that wushu is crap, which is false by any standard. Many people who train in modern wushu also do traditional and know applications to the moves.

Wearing orange uniforms is a bit odd, but if that is what the owner wants, thenthats that.

I feel though that if you do not know basic Chinese history, language, or culture you should not be allowed to teach something as historically and cuturally important as Shaolin-kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by zhangxihuan View Post

A lot of people say monks only train in wushu, or that wushu is crap, which is false by any standard. Many people who train in modern wushu also do traditional and know applications to the moves.

wow someone who know what he is talking about right there ^
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團

usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts