Thread: Chris Clugston's Combat JKD

Question Chris Clugston's Combat JKD

So I'm thinking of biting the bullet and ordering his 2-tape series from TRS, which also includes a free vid on knife fighting. What I'd like to know is, can anyone here tell me from experience if it's worth it? I was reading the testimonies, and a lot of people seem to swear by his methods. I'm also curious how his system differs from more "conventional" JKD and FMA in a tactical sense. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    GOD BLESS THE WORKING STIFF!!!

I can tell you from experience that anything you buy from TRS is going to be very, very disappointing.

(Yes, I bought a SCARS tape once. I was young and didn't know any better.)
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

I saw him in a Martial Arts magazine once.

I make it a point to NEVER EVER buy anything from anybody who now or in the past wore their hair in a mohawk-mullet.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

It's okay. I liked the Comhrac Bas set better though.

A mow hawk mullet? Are you for real?

I have them and while they have their good points I can't really recommend them without reservation. They aren't bad but they weren't great.

BTW D-FENS, What are you looking for in a set of tapes?

BTW BTW, Yes his hair style was a bit strange.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I havent noticed anything thats different from most of the rest of the JKD commercial folk. Try something newer like SBGi or Demi Barbito or even some Sayoc stuff.

strike!

The TRS ads are just plain funny

John Saylor, former olympic judo coach, gifted wrestler/judoka/samboist said Clugston had some decent stand up and NO ground/grappling when they trained together... this was inbetween the combat JKD and Comrac-whatever phases
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    I have them and while they have their good points I can't really recommend them without reservation. They aren't bad but they weren't great.

BTW D-FENS, What are you looking for in a set of tapes?

In a nutshell, a streamlined version of Kali/JKD concepts that can be learned quickly, adapted to any art and favors open hand rather than closed fist strikes. I practice traditional Hsing-i and 5 Family Gongfu, and was looking to cross-train in something a bit more modern and eclectic.

From what I gather, they are not bad tapes, but at the same time nothing out of the ordinary either. Would appreciate any further opinions/experiences with his stuff.

rgds,

Wes
    GOD BLESS THE WORKING STIFF!!!