Thread: about Bruce Lee

Hybrid View

about Bruce Lee

im just curious about his fighting record. did he ever beat anyone noteworthy? i really dont wanna start another MMA vs. CMA debate but im just curious as to whether he ever fought any wrestlers or grapplers or anyone in that field. im sure if he was around today he would have faired well in the climate of the fighting competition out there today?

I read somewhere that he beat a guy up on th set of enter the dragon. The guy had been giving him grief for a while and challenged him. Apparently he made short work of the guy. I don't know if this is actually true of a good piece of marketing.

As far as I am aware he never entered competitions. Wing Chun guys say his muscle conditioning was more for the camera than for martial arts. He also looks very thin on camera.

I would imagine he was super fast but not too strong. This is all hyperthetical though as he was long dead before I was even born.

I don't think he would have stood a chance in a MMA comp because of his size and weight. Maybe he would in his own weight/size devisions.

I thought perhaps chuck norris trained with him after seeing him fight?

This part of his life I think is kept quite secret to preserve the legend.
    Thanks

Leigh Robinson

Hand forged, Hand Folded Japanese and Chinese Swords including Katana, Jian, Dao, Qiang (spear)
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk

Education Centre & Forum for Bladed Weaponry.
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk/forums/

Chinese Sword Society UK
    http://www.chineseswordsocietyuk.com

Bruce Lee was obviously the best martial artist of all time. He beat up all those guys on the screen, so he must be good.

In addition, he studied like 30 styles to make up JKD, and he studied all of then in their depth and entirety. It took him like 50 or more years to do that, before deciding traditional styles were crap, and creating JKD.

He died so young in his early 30s. Such a tragedy for an obviously so great martial artist.

I had a face-to-face conversation with Dan Inosanto back in 1979 when he visited the wing chun school I was a student at here in NYC....(Moy Yat).

He said that behind closed doors Bruce had sparred with guys like Joe Lewis, Mike Stone, Chuck Norris, Louis Del Gado, and some others.

He said that the "match" with Chuck Norris was particularly notable - and "embarrassing to watch" (Dan's exact words).

He said that Bruce punched and kicked Chuck all around the room.

Greetings,

It was said in another thread that he got owned by a guy who wears a pink gi. LeBell...yeah....yeah, yeah.....that's his name.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post

In addition, he studied like 30 styles to make up JKD, and he studied all of then in their depth and entirety. It took him like 50 or more years to do that, before deciding traditional styles were crap, and creating JKD.
    You know that he didn't even want it to be a new style, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    You know that he didn't even want it to be a new style, right?
    Yeah, he wrote a book about how styles sucked and then filled the book about how he fought and what worked. Creating his own style.

LOL LOL LOL

Bottom line he was an actor numbskull. If he hadn't have died he'd be in late 60s now and everybody would be laughing at how his students don't win MMA tournaments.

Bottom line he was an actor numbskull. If he hadn't have died he'd be in late 60s now and everybody would be laughing at how his students don't win MMA tournaments.
    That's classic.

Best,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Yeah, he wrote a book about how styles sucked and then filled the book about how he fought and what worked. Creating his own style.

LOL LOL LOL

Lol, I love it when Instructors brainwash their students to hate certain people and think them fakes.

LOL LOL LOL
    Dude....I understand the difference between fiction and reality...but Bruce was a beast. His muscles were not cosmetic. (He was soooo toned, it was almost kind of gross). His cardio was so strong, he was basically indefatiguable.

As for JKD--it's not a style.

It's more of a philsophy. It's the credo for MMA....take what works. He did shut down his schools b/c people started to treat it like a style. I admire him for his dedication to his philsophy...and even follow it. But I don't study boxing,fencing, etc......I study what I think is good for me.

With his speed, strength, and cardio, and dedication to MA, I have no doubt he could whip up on guys like Chuck (who's pretty badass in his own right, only he catches flack b/c his movies weren't any good [MIA....that one with the asthmatic kid who has rampant Chuck Norris fantasies...just sick ).

He was an innovator and an MA. He also made some sweet flicks. But he couldn't have made the flicks if he wasn't pretty badass first. We're talking about MA cinema without wirework and CG, and ballet-wushu.