Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: about Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by msg View Post
    bruce lee was a dance champion and not a ma champ where did you learn your history saying bruce was not a ma champ all the thing you have sayed are pretty much ignorant ..even chuck said he was one of the best .bruce trained since he was a little boy .he didnt start training because he was geting beat up ..people need to do more research before talking about a subject they think they know about .iam not mad on the topic i just dont think people do enough research and find the truth on things
    I DID research. He won the colonies Cha Cha championship at the age of 18 in 1958.

I don't think you've researched. If you can find any evidence of him entering any tournaments and winning or anything, please let me know.

i know he was a dancer but he was trianing in kung.fu first.and back then a lot of tournaments were not recorded like they are now .i have read and looked up every thing you could on bruce lee and his life .among other popular and historical teachers its a hobby of mine

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    The whole thing with Wong Jack Man in the movie Dragon was a load of B.S. There was no bunch of people saying he shouldn't teach,
    I have it on good authority that there was but I'll leave it to you to find out who.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    whatever his record was at the time it was good enough to open respectable schools, three of his students would go on to win the world karate titles while he was alive. chuck norris, joe lewis and some other guy.
    I believe Chuck was a BB in Tang Soo Do and Joe was a BB in Shotokan(?) neither of which are Kung fu. Chuck was already a full contact champ which is why they selected him for Enter The Dragon.

Bruce Lee was a DANCE Champion in China, not a martial arts champion.
    So it's impossible to be both? Sure he was into dance and won but he was also into martial arts and won. Just because you can do it doesn't mean someone else can't.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

And von Damme was a tournament "champion"--in Brussells, was it?--too...according to his Hollywood resume (before people started looking into it a little more closely).
    Last edited by iron tiger; 02-08-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Yeah, it's even better when people think because somebody acts on a screen that they really are that character in real life.
    I mean, you've probably had some martial arts training by now, right? Have you ever seen anybody in MA hopping up and down on their toes and doing stuff like Bruce Lee did? Yelling 'hee-iii' and making lots of weird noises?
    Wow, contradiction rly? Like you said, he didn't act like that IRL.

And I've read several legit bibliographies on Bruce Lee. Idiots still think that he was killed by an asprin and that he never learned Wing Chun or part of the Northern Styles. Don't listen to all the rumors you hear on the intarwebs, do some reading of actual literature. There are biographies about Bruce Lee written by Wing Chun instructors, why don't you read those? Surely they aren't going to let some poser get away with what you think he did, right?

It cracks me up how all MMA/BJJ artists hate Bruce Lee so much. Not saying you're one, Lung, just an observation of everyone else who bashes him.

I neither idolize nor loath Bruce Lee. He made some contrabutions and brought about some misconceptions. Interpret the value of each how you want, but making up rumors or reading Wikipedia can't change the past.
    Last edited by NJM; 02-08-2007 at 05:32 PM.

Bruce Lee never fought in a full contact sanctioned match.

He did some exhibition stuff and beat up a teenage kid apparently, according to the stories on the set of enter the dragon.

He also fought with Wong Jack Man in a challenge match that was behind closed doors and may have been involved in a scrap or two as a kid although that's all hearsay and in fact, the story about the wong jack man fight is still tossed back and forth and no one really knows what happened except for a couple of the people who were there and to this day, they're not reallyt saying much and what they do say defines the fight as fairly insignificant.

So, was he a hard core fighter? By all accounts, not in the least. But could he demonstrate skills? yes he could. And to that end, let the man rip. yeesh, he's been dead longer than the greater majority of this board has been alive. lol

he's a cult status hero, like many others who have walked and still walk the earth.

cult status is virtual cred and when it comes to these notions, ones as good as the next.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Bruce Lee was a Cha-cha champion in China. It's a type of dance I'm not too familiar with. Pick up any book about him and you'll learn that it's true.

"He said that Bruce punched and kicked Chuck all around the room."

That's so doubtfull...it's funny. It's in Inosanto's best interest to paint his teacher in a good light. Anyway, Joe Lewis, Chuck Norris, and Bob Wall were not Bruce Lee's students. They all trained with him for a bit in the 60's.....that's all. Joe Lewis was not as impressed with him. Lewis fealt that he could have beaten Bruce Lee and also fealt that Bruce Lee would not have been sucessful at full contact kickboxing. He also fealt that Bruce's teaching was too philosophical. They had a falling out in the end.

Bottom line is that B. Lee did not prove himself on the mat. Lewis, Norris, and Wall did. Bruce did alot for MA but was not a proven fighter. It's just the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Bruce Lee was a Cha-cha champion in China. It's a type of dance I'm not too familiar with. Pick up any book about him and you'll learn that it's true.

That's so doubtfull...it's funny. It's in Inosanto's best interest to paint his teacher in a good light. Anyway, Joe Lewis, Chuck Norris, and Bob Wall were not Bruce Lee's students. They all trained with him for a bit in the 60's.....that's all. Joe Lewis was not as impressed with him. Lewis fealt that he could have beaten Bruce Lee and also fealt that Bruce Lee would not have been sucessful at full contact kickboxing. He also fealt that Bruce's teaching was too philosophical. They had a falling out in the end.

Bottom line is that B. Lee did not prove himself on the mat. Lewis, Norris, and Wall did. Bruce did alot for MA but was not a proven fighter. It's just the truth.
    its so funny you think that bruce didnt kick chuck around the room lee had way more skill than norris and lewis its a joke trying to compare norris or lewis to bruce lee .

"I believe Chuck was a BB in Tang Soo Do and Joe was a BB in Shotokan(?) neither of which are Kung fu. Chuck was already a full contact champ which is why they selected him for Enter The Dragon." (Yao Sing)

***CHUCK Norris was NEVER a full contact champ...as soon as full contact came in (circa 1974)....Norris RETIRED from tournament fighting altogether.

And it wasn't "Enter The Dragon"....Chuck appeared in "Return Of The Dragon".

Bottom line is that B. Lee did not prove himself on the mat. Lewis, Norris, and Wall did. Bruce did alot for MA but was not a proven fighter. It's just the truth." (Anthony)

***BOTTOM line is that you don't have a clue.

I personally saw Joe Lewis on the Johnny Carson show one night back in the late 1970's talking about Bruce Lee....he said that Bruce was very talented as a fighter and that he was the fastest human being he's ever seen.

Furthermore...Joe Lewis learned Bruce's "5 angles Of Attack" (from Bruce - see the Tao Of JKD)...and then Lewis wrote magazine articles "demonstrating" what he called the 5 angles of attack - without ever mentioning Bruce's name.

There was a lot of professional jealousy towards Bruce at that time....because the guy was the real deal.

PERIOD.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-09-2007 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    There was a lot of professional jealousy towards Bruce at that time....because the guy was the real deal.

PERIOD.
    If he was the real deal then name one public fight he won, one tournament he won, one tournament he entered as a competitor and not as an exhibitor.

If he was the real deal then name one public fight he won, one tournament he won, one tournament he entered as a competitor and not as an exhibitor.
    Since when does not competing publicly mean you can't fight lol. You also have to consider the place in time that you are talking about. Where there any venue's to compete in at the time that would fit your criteria? Even if there was, would you even consider them high level competetors? Probably not, since you have already made up your mind.

To put it simply, to try to change a mind like yours is a complete waste of time. The only way to find out is gone, long since 34yrs ago. The only proof we have is the people that knew him best and our own judgement of the footage we have of him. Yeah, I agree he wasn't unbeatable, because no one is, but Bruce did have fighting skills, and could fight if need be. PERIOD...

James

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Since when does not competing publicly mean you can't fight lol. You also have to consider the place in time that you are talking about. Where there any venue's to compete in at the time that would fit your criteria? Even if there was, would you even consider them high level competetors? Probably not, since you have already made up your mind.

To put it simply, to try to change a mind like yours is a complete waste of time. The only way to find out is gone, long since 34yrs ago. The only proof we have is the people that knew him best and our own judgement of the footage we have of him. Yeah, I agree he wasn't unbeatable, because no one is, but Bruce did have fighting skills, and could fight if need be. PERIOD...

James
    Dude, I was raised that Bruce Lee was the greatest MAist of all time. But after looking at the EVIDENCE ... THERE IS NO EVIDENCE.

Based upon the EVIDENCE ... he had ONE fight with Wong Jack Man ... everything else appears to be hearsay or conjecture.

Name one other person that has had more impact on Martial arts in the United States.

And FYI, the famous book "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" was NOT written by Bruce. It is a compilation of his notes and drawings that was put together after his death.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    Name one other person that has had more impact on Martial arts in the United States.

And FYI, the famous book "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" was NOT written by Bruce. It is a compilation of his notes and drawings that was put together after his death.
    The issue is: Was he as great of a martial artist as the hype says he was.

To determine that, we would need some evidence of actual fights, or his performance in actual fights.

I've read his book and it's primarily about his experiences SPARRING.

So is there any evidence that he's a great fighter? I'm waiting.

lung your just cant admit the truth .to caught up in your own head ..and your closed minded