Thread: My initial observation of Taijichuan

My initial observation of Taijichuan

I've been practicing for about two weeks now (more or less) and I've noticed a few things I would like to run past the more experienced players of this forum. One of the things is that when doing a posture in taiji, and you get it correct, it just "feels" like you're doing the right thing. I'm not sure I can accurately describe it. At the risk of sounding cliche, it feels like you're in complete harmony with your environment and yet your energy is poised and ready for action but you're still relaxed. The closest I've come to this was in Aikido, but it's not quite the same thing. I've only been able to "get it right" a couple of times, and I think that is what I'm shooting for, but I'm curious if this is something someone else has experienced, or is it my mind playing tricks on me?

Thank you for your time.

taiji stages:

1. Yi Lu or first routine. Peng Lu Ji An the movements are kept going.

2 Er Lu or second routine. focusing on Cai Lie Zhou Kao the movements are focused and suddenly stopped.

initially, we actually practice standing in postures for a while. the postures are usually the final stance or Ding Shi.

these parts are also called quiet practice or Jin Gong.

we have to be totally relaxed in each posture and stand as long as you can.

once we have some basis of the postures.

we then move on to the moving part or Dong gong of the practices.

hand moves only.

stepping only,

then together.

all in stages.

have fun.

cjurakpt Guest
    if you can't describe what it feels like when it's "right", then what does it feel like when you're "wrong"? that's also a way tolook at it...

also, this is honeymoon period - the euporic-like feeling of "right"may have a lot to do with the organism being exposed to something new - I say this not to discourage you, but to point out that in my personal experience, that initial feeling of "good" or "right" has changed significantly over the years, and that as I get more "correct", the feeling is less "good" or "right" than simply "as such" - for lack of a better analogy, at first, the postures can either taste very sweet ("good") or very bitter "bad"), depending on the situation; over time, they become more like a glass of pure, cool spring water ("as such")...

I guess that the point is to simply observe yourself without getting caught up too much in :right" and "wrong" sensation (I know, it's weird), not trying to always "recapture" that feeling of "right" - because when you go looking for it, then you are locked into preconception, you cannot be open to spontaneous understanding - you can kinda reference it, but be prepared for changes

this is what the teacher is for - to help you avoid the pitfall of "knowing"!

one way to know "right" is to understand what freedom of breathing is like; is your breath truly free? what does that mean anyway?

(I think that is what I'm shooting for)

kind of a problem, thinking. Taking a past experience and trying to recreate it in the present based on some future that has not happened yet.

There really is nothing to get or shoot for, to get this point where this is true takes a lot of time and practice, i wish you luck in this. Having said that its good that you seem to have found a teacher and school that meets your needs.

http://www.4peaks.com/ppox.htm

(The bull never has been lost.
    What need is there to search?
    Only because of separation from my true nature,
    I fail to find him.
    In the confusion of the senses I lose even his tracks.
    Far from home, I see many crossroads,
    but which way is the right one I know not.
    Greed and fear, good and bad, entangle me.)

I always find this story to be very insightful when approaching any mindful art like taiji.
    enjoy life

Quote Originally Posted by hinokata View Post
    I've been practicing for about two weeks now (more or less) and I've noticed a few things I would like to run past the more experienced players of this forum. One of the things is that when doing a posture in taiji, and you get it correct, it just "feels" like you're doing the right thing. I'm not sure I can accurately describe it. At the risk of sounding cliche, it feels like you're in complete harmony with your environment and yet your energy is poised and ready for action but you're still relaxed. The closest I've come to this was in Aikido, but it's not quite the same thing. I've only been able to "get it right" a couple of times, and I think that is what I'm shooting for, but I'm curious if this is something someone else has experienced, or is it my mind playing tricks on me?

Thank you for your time.
    Sounds like balance. You are utilizing the internal feature of the system. It could be that you are correctly distributing your energy, well, it could be a ton of things. It's good that you've reached this state. Now all you have to do is make it natural.

Greetings..

Fighting is both natural as a self-defense mechanism.. and, unnatural as a method of preserving harmony.. Taiji seeks to unify this condition into a harmonious self-defense.. Some 18 years into my Taiji journey, i am beginning to understand how much i don't yet understand..

Some days Taiji feels good, some days not so good.. some days it is absolute ecstasy, others it is pure drudgery.. Yin and Yang.. but, stepping back and looking at the Yin and Yang symbol as a single thing, i recognize how perfectly appropriate it is.. so, now, i have good days and bad days AND all of it is absolute ecstasy.. i have never ceased to continue to grow in my understanding of Taiji, even when i seem to be failing..

There are times when i am practicing on my own that as i approach a posture, it starts to feel "right".. then, i slow way down.. preserving the "rightness", savoring that feeling, but fully aware that Taiji must move past tempory delights.. so, even at the pinnacle of a movement, when things seem perfect.. i slowly transition out of that ecstasy, into the continuing journey.. we cannot stagnate ourselves with temporary delights.. growth is born of change.. Taiji is a path with no destinations, only new points of departure..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob View Post
    Greetings..

Fighting is both natural as a self-defense mechanism.. and, unnatural as a method of preserving harmony..
    Hi Bob,

I disagree that fighting is an unnatural method of preserving harmony. Perhaps you meant less preferable than peaceful means.

From a Yin-Yang perspective, violence (fighting) is a reaction to an imbalanced circumstance and is appropriate at times to restore order/harmony. The proper application of force (fighting, violence) is appropriate according to the circumstance and is a NATURAL expression of Tao. As I have mentioned many times in the past, It is not YIN-yang and it is not yin-YANG. It is Yin-Yang. They are co-equals in value and necessity for maintaining harmony. Violence (fighting) may not be the most preferable means to restore harmony under many circumstances, but one of the reasons it occurs is because, at times, it is beneficial AND necessary to restore balance/harmony.

We seek to avoid violence because of the damage it causes, however, out of destruction comes the opportunity for new growth and greater harmony. Out of the death and destruction of winter comes the fresh growth of spring. Something that appears to be a negative from one perspective may be found to be a blessing from another. Years ago I had an acquaintance who was an Army Ranger. During one of his parachute jumps he broke his leg. Because of the break he missed a training exercise that he was looking forward to participating in. While his company was flying to the appointed sight for the maneuvers the transport plane crashed and killed his whole company. His unfortunate circumstance saved his life. What appears to be a negative circumstance is not always so from a more expanded perspective.

The quality of the experiences of our life is determine by how we choose to interpret our experiences. What from one perspective appears to provide a negative consequence may actually provide a beneficial consequence from another perspective. This is the lesson of Tao. At times we must embrace violence to preserve harmony. We may not like it, but it is a NATURAL process of Tao. No one need take my word for it, Tao constantly demonstrates this for us. We may observe it to be so through the observation of its processes.

Greetings..

Hi Scott: I agree.. i suppose that i interpret "preference" as a natural condition.. where given no obstacles, we would choose to live in peace.. of course, obstacles can be interpreted in many ways.. we can be our own obstacle, and usually are..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by hinokata View Post
    ...your energy is poised and ready for action but you're still relaxed.
    yup. keep going. as you are well aware, 2 weeks is not a long time to practice anything, but you are on the right path, i think. like leaf said, try not to think too much...
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    if you can't describe what it feels like when it's "right", then what does it feel like when you're "wrong"? that's also a way tolook at it...
    That is a good point. When it's "wrong" it feels awkward, unbalanced, and uncoordinated. Something for me to clarify on the "right" aspect of it, is that I am only able to obtain that feeling for a few seconds at a time.

also, this is honeymoon period - the euporic-like feeling of "right"may have a lot to do with the organism being exposed to something new - I say this not to discourage you, but to point out that in my personal experience, that initial feeling of "good" or "right" has changed significantly over the years
    This is something I am very aware and hence why I asked those more knowledgeble than I about it. As far as discouragement, nothing that is said on this forum will discourage me from continued study as *I* have made a personal choice to learn all that I can about it. I have even began to study the Tao, which as actually helped me to understand many of the underlying principles behind Taijichuan in general which has actually helped me a great deal. I use these forums as a tool, like a sounding board for people that have more experience and more knowledge in something I want to learn. It's just another tool in my toolbox.

I guess that the point is to simply observe yourself without getting caught up too much in :right" and "wrong" sensation (I know, it's weird), not trying to always "recapture" that feeling of "right" - because when you go looking for it, then you are locked into preconception, you cannot be open to spontaneous understanding - you can kinda reference it, but be prepared for changes
    I'd by lying if I said I understand this completely as it is steeped in Taoist beliefs in practices, but my eyes have been opened to the concepts now I only have to continue to look and explore.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo_ leaf View Post
    kind of a problem, thinking. Taking a past experience and trying to recreate it in the present based on some future that has not happened yet.
    Yes. I am trying to keep the aikido point of view out of it, but being that is what I have the most experience with, one's natural instinct is to associate things that are similar and group them as the same thing.

There really is nothing to get or shoot for, to get this point where this is true takes a lot of time and practice, i wish you luck in this. Having said that its good that you seem to have found a teacher and school that meets your needs.
    Well, I would have to disagree with you slightly on this point. There is a correct way (from a body dynamics/martial point of view) and an incorrect way. IMO, shooting for nothing is like training for heavyweight boxing match while only doing shadow boxing. As far as the teacher/school is concerned, I am still working from the book/dvd I purchased and matching his movements as close as I can and analyizing the postures themselves. Where and how can this be applied? What principle is behind this movement? Will it work in this situation?

Again, my opinion may be incorrect due to my lack of experience and/or understanding, but if I continue to learn, seek answers and ask questions, then one day I may be knowledgeable.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    ..... Now all you have to do is make it natural.
    I expect that to happen sometime around 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob View Post
    Greetings..

Hi Scott: I agree.. i suppose that i interpret "preference" as a natural condition.. where given no obstacles, we would choose to live in peace.. of course, obstacles can be interpreted in many ways.. we can be our own obstacle, and usually are..

Be well..
    Hi Bob,

You are no fun when you don't argue with me, LOL!!!

Nice to chat with you though!