Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "The Isometric Power Revolution" [A review]

Ford, you have bought the whole" party line "of the equipment manufacturers. Be strong-think for you self!

Nice troll.

Have fun! Denial is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
    Ford, you have bought the whole" party line "of the equipment manufacturers. Be strong-think for you self!
    . . . which party did I miss, and which line did they make famous?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

"That weights are the only way to develop size and strength." Weights are very effective,but they are best when combined with other methods.

"That weights are the only way to develop size and strength." Weights are very effective,but they are best when combined with other methods.
    Well, that really depends on what your goals are don't you think?

Size and strength might be good for a football player.

As a martial artist, I would say that strength is very important but not so much, size.

But maybe even more important than strength would be conditioning and flexibility.

Training with weights could offer up both of these benefits but I don't see how Isometrics could.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Different forms or exercise are advantageous for different activities. I believe that there is no form of exercise that is so effective and so flexible as to adapt itself successfully to so many situations as isometrics. They have been around for thousands of years and used successfully by people not only in sports,but in many real life situations. They build real true life strength. Let me give you and example'

In his book "Papillon" Henri Charrie're explains how he used isometrics first to survive and then to escape the notorious Devil's Island Prison located off of the coast of French Guiana. Charrie're was the only person in the history of that prison to escape. He did not have access to weights in the prison and isometrics were a big part of his conditioning program to escape. Not only did they strengthen his body,but also his mind as they allowed him to survive over 2 years in solitary confinement where he did not hear another human voice.

Charrie're' experience is much the same of Alexander Zass "the father of modern isometrics" who strengthened himself in prison by using isometrics and later became a professional strongman and published the first mail order course on isometrics:
    http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit.../zassintro.htm

It has been almost 50 years since I competed in college wrestling, but nobody is going to convince me that isometrics would not be an asset to the conditioning for anyone for any combat sport. The increase in mental strength alone would be a benefit, particularly the "aerobic Isometrics" developed by Steve Justa in his book" Rock Iron Steel."

Of course I never said this. Dynamic resistance training is a more efficeint way to train for a myriad of attributes beneficial to martial artists and all athletes in general... now that is what I said. All evidence beyond mail order courses and anecdotal stories backs this up. Sorry.

Ford, There is all kinds of evidence and history based on training for various activites through the centuries that isometrics is a valuable tool. "The Isometric Power Revolution" has a history section of 55 pages with evidence and information that you probably have never seen. So much of the information that has been circulated on isometrics in recent decades reminds me of the lyrics of the song"stuck in the 60s."

I have a set of Zass' chains that I made myself. I have used them in the past to work several different ranges of motion for Isometric deadlift work. I did get stronger. It was impossible to tell if the results were superior or inferior to traditional deadlifts. It was interesting as an experiment though.

Ford, There is all kinds of evidence and history based on training for various activites through the centuries that isometrics is a valuable tool. "The Isometric Power Revolution" has a history section of 55 pages with evidence and information that you probably have never seen. So much of the information that has been circulated on isometrics in recent decades reminds me of the lyrics of the song"stuck in the 60s."
    Andy,

Emperical evidence means little. If you want to call something "evidence", then please post the scientific study it came from where all variables were controlled or monitored. As mentioned earlier, all scientific evidence from the USA and from the Soviet Union point to being incorrect. Sorry.

Samurai,

Isometrics can indeed cause strength gains, but as I said, empirical evidence means little. They are just inferior to dynamic resistance training for a number of reasons. Not the least of which include:

1) Resistance: It is impossible to accurately gauge increases in force output since this is a highly subjective variable in one's mind with isometrics. With resistance training this is easily verifiable with how much weight is put on the bar or how many reps can be done with bodyweight. Because of this, it becomes far harder to execute a training plan and to monitor the progress of one.

2) Coordination: Isometrics are merely isolated contractions against an unmoving object. Dynamic resistance training moves through a range of motion. Dynamic resistance training not only builds muscular strength but also intermuscular coordination while moving the body through space. As we know with the principle of SAID (specific adapation to imposed demands), carry over from dynamic movement in the gym to similar dynamic movement in athletic competition is hard enough to attain. Nevermind trying to confound the issue by expecting carry over from a static contraction to a dynamic contraction...

3) Range of Motion: Isometric exercise has shown to only increase strength in the joint angle where the contraction takes place and 15 degrees AT MOST in either direction. This makes it even less beneficial for dynamic motion in athletics. You need to do multiple contractions at multiple joint angles to cover all your bases, as opposed to just doing a single dynamic movement...

Etc etc

Isometrics can be a great supplement to strength training programs, and I even use various methods in my own program. On their own, they are far from the optimal method of strength training in general, and this is even moreso in regards to athletics.

It has been almost 50 years since I competed in college wrestling, but nobody is going to convince me that isometrics would not be an asset to the conditioning for anyone for any combat sport. The increase in mental strength alone would be a benefit, particularly the "aerobic Isometrics" developed by Steve Justa in his book" Rock Iron Steel."
    So if "nobody" is going to convince you then this really ceases to be a discussion and is really just you preaching about a belief.

I believe in squats.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Different forms or exercise are advantageous for different activities. I believe that there is no form of exercise that is so effective and so flexible as to adapt itself successfully to so many situations as isometrics. They have been around for thousands of years and used successfully by people not only in sports,but in many real life situations. They build real true life strength. Let me give you and example'
    YOU ARE DOING EXERCISES IN ONE POSITION, NOT A RANGE OF MOTION. How is that more "true life", or "functional" strength than training through a range of motion? It's not. It's also inefficient.

Nobody said it wouldn't be an asset, but it's not as valuable as you seem to want it to be. How are you measuring the increase in mental strength? how is that increase any greater than the man benching heavy weights or sparring several times per week?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I am not the one preaching or at least not the only one. I consider Pavel's article proof and there are countless examples in the book, "you can lead a horse to water."

ISOMETRICS: IRON FOSSIL OR SECRET WEAPON?
    by Pavel

Scientists dabbled with isometrics, or muscle contractions against
    stationary objects, as far back as the 1920s. Then in 1953 German
    scientists Hettinger and Maller shook the muscle world with their
    study that concluded that you can add 5% to your strength a week by
    pushing or pulling against a stationary object once a day. Just once,
    only for six seconds, and at mere two thirds of a max effort!

Weightlifters and martial artists quickly jumped on the bandwagon. The
    former pushed and pulled empty bars against power rack pins; the
    latter tried to tear their black belts apart and pushed through walls
    with back fists.

Enter the Dragon.

But isos went out of fashion around the time of Bruce Lee's mysterious
    death, for reasons that had nothing to do with the effectiveness of
    this ingeniously simple method: the emergence of anabolic
    steroids--and the seep of flakiness and trendiness into the fitness
    world.

It is time to bring this secret weapon back.

Prof. Verkhoshansky (1977) lists the six advantages of isometrics,
    slightly paraphrased below.

1. Accessibility of isometrics to everyone.

Although certain sport-specific applications of isometrics require
    specialized equipment such as power racks, generally you can manage
    with such mundane items as a wall, rope, stick, doorway, or chair.

2. The ability to train any muscle at very precise angles.

A great benefit when you are trying to overcome a sticking point in a
    lift.

3. Great efficiency.

In the words of Prof. Yuri Verkhoshansky himself, "...a ten minute
    session of isometric tensions in specially selected exercises will
    replace a tiring one hour of weight training."

4. Insignificant muscle and bodyweight gains when compared to dynamic
    exercises.

This may or may not be an advantage from your
    point of view. The extent of muscle hypertrophy depends on the
    training protocol. Recent studies have registered respectable muscle
    growth from isometrics. For instance, Garfinkel & Cafarelli (1992)
    found a 14.6% increase in the cross-section of the knee extensors
    following eight weeks of isometric training. Increasing the duration
    of the contractions to a minute and longer, as explained below, is
    likely to yield even greater muscle gains--if you need them.

5. The ability to maintain high levels of speed-strength during
    important competitions due to the fact that isometrics expend a lot
    less time and energy than lifting weights.

6. Great for improving and fixing athletic technique.

Quoting Prof. Verkhoshansky, isometrics offer "A better opportunity to
    memorize the proper positions visually and kinesthetically than the
    dynamic mode. This makes the isometric method especially valuable for
    teaching and mistake correction."

I shall extrapolate on this subtle but extremely important point. Let
    us use the military press as an example. In order to put up the
    heaviest weight safely you need to ‘wedge’ yourself between the
    barbell and the ground, every muscle tight. It is not an easy skill to
    learn with a live weight but a piece of cake with isometrics. Stand
    inside a doorway, on a stool if necessary, put your hands up against
    the molding, and press. You will naturally tense up your legs and
    waist. Remember that feeling when you press a barbell.

The 'wedge' is just as effective for quick moves. I use it to improve
    my military and law enforcement clients' striking technique and power.
    On my Martial Power: Hard Hitting Combat Secrets from the Russian
    Special Ops videos you can see an obvious improvement in a
    professional kickboxer's kicks and cage fighter's punches after just
    two days.

What are the disadvantages of isometrics?

Suren Bogdasarov (1991), the coach of Russian weightlifting legend
    Yuri Vlasov, lists three drawbacks of isometrics. First, they are
    counter-indicated for people with high blood pressure and heart
    problems. Second, your muscles could lose their elasticity. The
    solution is simple: massage your muscles and shake them to relax
    between sets. Third, it is easy to lose your sense of exertion.
    Bogdasarov recommends varying the intensity of isometric contractions
    to address this problem, for instance an easy set followed by an
    all-out set.

Prof. Alexey Medvedev (1986) urges caution in applying isometric
    exercises to children and teenagers. He also warns that strength
    development plateaus after six to eight weeks of isometric training.
    This is not a problem as you are not supposed to train isometrically
    full time anyway. Go iso for a month or two, then go back to your
    regular strength training. Summer is the ideal time for an isometric
    only routine.

How often?

Scientists disagree on a lot of things but not on the frequency of
    isometric training: daily training is ideal (Atha, 1981). It does not
    mean that you cannot train less frequently; you just will not gain as
    much. According to Hettinger (1961}, training every other day delivers
    only 80% of the strength gains of daily training and training once a
    week yields only 40%.

didn't ford refute that one the last time you posted it?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter