Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Isometric Power Revolution" [A review]

"The Isometric Power Revolution" [A review]

Since I first became interested in Isometrics in the 1950s I have read every article and book that I could find on them. "The Isometric Power Revolution" is by far the best and most comprehensive book ever written on the subject. It features 282 information packed pages covering every aspect of isometrics. It contains 8 chapters, is fully illustrated, contains numerous photographs and exercise descriptions and will definitely become the classic of the field.

Isometrics may be the ultimate stand alone form of exercise,but certainly they are an indispensible part of any strength and muscle building exercise program. They got a bad rap in the 1960s when it was discovered that their main promoter and advocate, U.S Olympic Weightlifting Coach Bob Hoffman, in addition to training his lifters with isometrics was also using steroids and people wrongly assumed that the fantastic strength gains that the lifters were making were totally the result of the steroids.
    Isometrics are being rediscovered and and their popularity has been increasing recently , however, the use of isometrics to develop muscle and strength goes back to ancient times. The Isometric Power Revolution has an excellent fully illustrated chapter on the history of isometrics that contains over 50 pages.

Isometrics are superior to regular weightlifting because of the 'synapse' effect . When you are performing a standard bench press, for instance, it will take you one or two seconds to move through the entire range of motion yet there is only one point in the range of motion where you are applying maximum strength and the duration of the effort at that point may last only a fraction of a second. Our bodies use only the minimum number of muscle fibers required to perform a movement so the maximum number of fibers are only used at that point of maximum intensity which lasts only a fraction of a second. Conversely with an isometric exercise you are applying maximum tension for the full duration of the contraction whether it be 10 seconds, 12 seconds or longer and as a result you are contracting maximum muscle fibers for the entire length of time that you are performing the exercise.

The author,John Peterson is the President and founder of Bronze Bow Publishing and is the creator of the Transformetrics™ Training System which provides a person with everything they need to know to become supremely fit. He has over 30 years experience as a strength and fitness expert and is the author of several exercise books and DVDs in addition to "The Isometric Power Revolution," including "Pushing Yourself To Power," "The Miracle Seven" and "Thje Trinity Of Health."

The "Isometric Power Revolution " is a must for anyone seriously interested in the development of strength and muscle.
    http://www.bronzebowpublishing.com/s...products_id=97

Isometrics are awesome, however, I dont think a person should do them all by themself without supplementary weight bearing type exercises of some sort. Pavel talks about the importance building the confidence in the joints ability to bear weight, and there is some truth to that. For example: In hung isometrics are often used, but we also hit bags, do pushups and use some weights as well, so that your structure is also strengthened. All that being said, many people havent heard of the UK man Charles Bronson, that has been in solitary for well over 20 years. He has set some strength world records, even though he is not allowed to lift any weights, but using dynamic tension and isometric workouts, as well as tons of pushups.
    -Golden Arms-

The book separates "isometrics" from what it calls "Power Flexing." Isometrics are defined as pushing or pulling against an external object or another body where "Power flexing" is simply flexing your muscles or going through a range of motion with the dynamic or internal tension providing all of the resistance. I think Pavel is referring to the latter approach. It would seem to me that isometrics as defined by working against external resistance would provide the bone, tendon ans ligament strenthening you refer too. In any case do what works for you,but whether combined with some other training activity or used as a stand alone system isometrics are a valuable tool to have.

Isometrics are not even close to as valuable in athletic training as other modalities. They are a good supplemental tool to use, but let's not get carried away.

Everyone ahould work them into their training on whatever basis they feel appropriate.

Here is different review from another source

I love the mention of Charles Atlas. I guess they don't know he primarily lifted weights and just shilled the isometrics to comic book geeks. As I said, isometrics are a great supllement to an otherwise well-rounded regimen. On their own, you are wasting your time and energy on something that doesn't have anywhere near the returns of other methods.

I guess we just disagree on that. I don't think that the use of just one type of exercise is the best approach whether it is isometrics or weights,but isometrics have been under promoted due to a number of factors,not the least of which is that it is more profitable to manufacture various types of equipment. Atlas did lift weights as advertised in the below linked early brochure [scroll down to page 7], but he didn't have a weightlifters build [look at the thin legs]. His build was more like that of a circus aerialist which can be obtained by the exercises that he used to get it and were taught in his course.

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit...MPB/smpb01.htm

it's hopeless ford, give up...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
    Isometrics are superior to regular weightlifting because of the 'synapse' effect . When you are performing a standard bench press, for instance, it will take you one or two seconds to move through the entire range of motion yet there is only one point in the range of motion where you are applying maximum strength and the duration of the effort at that point may last only a fraction of a second. Our bodies use only the minimum number of muscle fibers required to perform a movement so the maximum number of fibers are only used at that point of maximum intensity which lasts only a fraction of a second. Conversely with an isometric exercise you are applying maximum tension for the full duration of the contraction whether it be 10 seconds, 12 seconds or longer and as a result you are contracting maximum muscle fibers for the entire length of time that you are performing the exercise.
    and you only get stronger in the area of contraction, possibly a few degrees further out, but not throughout the entire range of motion.

Also, as you stated, muscles are lazy. They need progressive resistance in order to keep stimulating growth.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I know. My point isn't really to bother with Andy. It's for anybody else reading it who may think there is much truth at all to what he is posting. Don't want people being misled. It is my soft, kind heart.

Anybody that isn't using isometrics to some degree is not getting the full effect from their training. The key is to use them at three key points of the desired range of motion and not do a contraction at just one position. The progressive resistance is supplied by your mind which learns to concentrate and apply greater force.

so your mind just magically knows when it's applying 315 lbs of resistance and knows that it's applying 10lbs more than that at the next session?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I'm not saying that your mind can quantify the force into a poundage amount,but it will intuitively become stronger and stronger as you push it to the limit. Remember that 315 pound weight that you are lifting is only delivering maximum resistance for a fraction of a second as you move through the range of motion. While it is true that a weightlifter will be better at the specificity for lifting weights that strength will not totally transfer to other activities. Many of the oldtime strongmen who used isometrics could defeat weightlifters at non weightlifting feats. Alexander Zass was a great iron bender and could defeat weightlifters at that activity. The Mighty Atom could defeat the famous Coney Island Strongman and weightlifter Waren Lincoln Travis at strand pulling eventhough Travis out weighed him by about 50 pounds. All that I am suggesting is that isometrics have been played down by the equipment manufacturers and that they are now getting renewed interest and enthusiasm and are at the very least a interesting addition to any training program. They build a more enduring wiry type of strength than weights and aerobic isometrics which can be applied up to several minutes and build endurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
    I'm not saying that your mind can quantify the force into a poundage amount,but it will intuitively become stronger and stronger as you push it to the limit.
    the mind is not what makes the body stronger, per se. force output is a function of the neuromuscular system. Heavy weight stimulates the hard contractions.

Remember that 315 pound weight that you are lifting is only delivering maximum resistance for a fraction of a second as you move through the range of motion. While it is true that a weightlifter will be better at the specificity for lifting weights that strength will not totally transfer to other activities.
    sure it does. olympic lifts incorporate the entire body. that translates extremely well to other activities, which is why athletes lift.

Many of the oldtime strongmen who used isometrics could defeat weightlifters at non weightlifting feats. Alexander Zass was a great iron bender and could defeat weightlifters at that activity. The Mighty Atom could defeat the famous Coney Island Strongman and weightlifter Waren Lincoln Travis at strand pulling eventhough Travis out weighed him by about 50 pounds. All that I am suggesting is that isometrics have been played down by the equipment manufacturers and that they are now getting renewed interest and enthusiasm and are at the very least a interesting addition to any training program. They build a more enduring wiry type of strength than weights and aerobic isometrics which can be applied up to several minutes and build endurance.
    any CMA guy can hold a longer horse stance than most powerlifters - there is a difference between muscular endurance and muscular strength. however, that same CMA guy will not be as strong overall as the powerlifter. it's not a "wiry strength" - it's muscular endurance.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter