Thread: Rafael Matute

Rafael Matute

so apparently this dude has been winning the muay thai championship 7 years in a row in 3 different weight divisions....hes a student of Master su yu chang, who teaches "pachi-tanglang"....i cant find too much info on the guy though. cant find any of his fights either. it seems he would be more well known if he's been doing so well.....anyone familiair with him?

The 'pachi' in the school name is Ba Ji Quan. I looked at the site you must have seen. It says that they teach five styles of Tang Lang including Qi Xing, Mei Hua and Ba Bu. There are photos of their five grandmasters. Just different romanizations of Mandarin but if you read the site carefully it's all pretty clear.

im curious about the actual dude though....if u look at the site where it says "champion" it gives you a bit of his history....but other than whats there i cant really find anything else. heres the link

http://pachitanglang.com/mastersu/matute.htm

Well, if you can't find any tournament records at the official sites of the various Muay Thai committees than you'll have to contact Sifu Matute through the site for details. Unless someone else comes through for you on this thread.

There was a lot happening with a thread about this about 2 years ago. He even posted either thru another or himself, I think it was himeself.

I think I may have started that thread, funny I can't remember...

Kevin

http://www.plumflowermantisboxing.com/

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=30542

#1 06-07-2004, 01:01 PM
    B.Tunks Registered User Join Date: Jan 2003

Rafael Matute- the other side...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All,

Rafael Matute took the honourable step of contacting me in private in relation to the question of his world titles and their validity. He isn't interested in participating in the argument but agreed that I use the information from this correspondance to post here to provide us with another side to the story. You can make your own minds up. I am happy though, that he filled me in and that his communication was very polite and controlled (even after public derision). And I am certainly looking forward to future evidence being made available.

(I have left left out the opening sentence):

I usually do not participate in forums due to time factor that doesn't allow me to do so.

Let me introduce myself first:

I actually live in the US. I am not a professional fighter or Martial Artist like the UFC or K1 type, I am a Biophysicist and Marketing MBA graduated from a University in the USA but I have been doing Martial Arts for over 29 years.

And Yes I am the World Champion not in Muay Thai per se but in Pahuyuth there is a difference), since 1994(Muay Thai is the new Thai boxing, Pahuyuth is the most traditional Martial Art in Thailand.

Let me just explain myself:

The Organizations I represent are not intended to be the biggest or most famous but to rescue traditional martial art from as many places as possible throughout the world. Tournaments are not only held in Thailand but in other countries such as Africa, Russia, Malaysia, Philippines, Etc. with participants devoted to traditional Martial Arts disregarding the origins oh the art they represent.

Most members of the board of directors as myself, have other careers and <A TITLE="Click for more information about job" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||job|AA1VDw">job</A>s, so we are not looking to be famous or make money, most profit goes to charity to an organization of anyone choices. So the money that is collected is not to be kept for any of us nor profit from videos, magazines, advertisements, etc.

How it works:

Board of directors extend invitations to participate in tournaments to martial artist that in certain way contribute in normal - daily life to charity causes such big brothers, make a wish foundation, UNICEF, etc.

In these tournaments we were so lucky to have participants like: the late Alex "f-14" Gong, (who died recently chasing a hit & run driver), Ernesto Hoost (many, many years ago, as I have been told),

Myroslav Popovich (a military Sanvo champion in, Russia his country), etc.

Tournaments are basically organized as:

-Fighting weights as in traditional boxing.

-Forms: internal or external. In my opinion this is wrongly name since there are jus soft a fast forms.

-Short weapons sparring

-Long and short weapons forms.

Fighters are not to wear gloves but wraps on his hands. At the finals you are allow to use them only if your opponent gives permission in which case you can use whatever gloves you want as long as they are safe for you and your opponent

As you know, must professional fighters have contracts with an exclusivity clause (this doesn’t allow them to participate in another tournament without risking expulsion and or fines)? That is probably why you don’t see many famous Martial Arts, people in other pictures, videos, etc.

But those of the organizations they compete with whether it is UFC, K1. Some other organizations that deal with money even when they are not profitable, do the same legally wise, that is our case.

Finally:

I understand that not having a 'Check out' resource as you guys mentioned is discouraging and I am actually in contact with a lawyer in order to have copy of the fights in videos to be sent to all my Masters and friends that required them but as you know that requires time and a lot of money 9 neither of which I have, hahaha).

But as fellow practitioner I tell you that I have notarized, and properly legalized documentation to prove my achievements and all of them have been checked by some organisms of the USA, Thai land and Russia that I work with now or in the past

I have nothing else to say but congratulate you guys for the effort you put in such an interesting forum and discussions and encourage you to keep on with it, and keep bring in the good stuff to Martial Arts instead of the dirty laundry.

We are all very lucky to having traditional Masters and being involved in traditional Chinese Martial Arts. I would never intend this email to be the starting point for an internet argument or in anyway offensive.

My best regards to you all

Rafael Matute

(I have left out the closing sentence)

__________________________________________________ _

Hua Lin Laoshi
    Always Learning Join Date: Jan 1970

No offense to Rafael or any other title holders but I take all of them with a grain of salt. It appears that in modern times a world champ is not neccessarily a world champ.

What's to prevent me from creating an organization, like Big Time Kung Fu Federation, and holding a competition that's limited to members of my organization who live in the US. Since the top fighters of other organizations are contractually limited to who and where they can fight, I can beat everyone I fight and become the North American Big Time Kung Fu Champion.

Not that this is the case here but it did bring it to mind. Basically I guess it's our fault for looking at the 'World Champion' part and not the details.

But an explanation of the obviously doctored photo is what's really needed.

__________________________________________________ ____________
    #4 06-08-2004, 07:42 AM
    B.Tunks
    Registered User Join Date: Jan 2003

In a more recent communication Mr Matute has honourably offered his most sincere defence of his fighting abilities:

'I consider that the best prove I can give is in the ring under a stand up figting- set of rules, and let my actions do the talking.'

I think there can be no better method. So if anyone on here wants to test Mr Rafael Matute's claims, he is open to the challenge. I suggest that those who need verification or would like to prove their point should now speak up.

Looking forward to seeing some results.
    Thanks,

BT

Old story and I guess this is how it was resolved in 2004
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Yep, and that was the last we heard of it. Interestingly enough- no one wanted to fight him.

BT

As I recall the general consensus was that the fight picture in question was edited which brings into question is his honesty or at the least shows poor judgement in providing action shots.

That doesn't make him a bad fighter but it does cause others to question his claims.

Dang that Hua Lin Laoshi is a troublemaker.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.