Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Closed door" vs secular learning what's the difference?

"Closed door" vs secular learning what's the difference?

It is often said that "so and so", is a closed door disciple of "such and such". It suggest that there is a skill or perhaps secret forms of Mantis that is not reveal to the masses. Would that mean that those who do not become a "closed door" student are only limited to the fundamantals and will never understand the style's true potential? Your thoughts on this please?

Quote Originally Posted by hokfumantis View Post
    It is often said that "so and so", is a closed door disciple of "such and such". It suggest that there is a skill or perhaps secret forms of Mantis that is not reveal to the masses. Would that mean that those who do not become a "closed door" student are only limited to the fundamantals and will never understand the style's true potential? Your thoughts on this please?
    Yep, it what it means is that nobody remembers what the forms applications are anymore.

So they use the 'closed door' excuse ... nobody who isn't 'closed door' tells what the forms mean. Nobody who isn't 'closed door' knows what they are for.

So you spend years ... and years ... waiting to become 'closed door'.

Then when you're too old to fight anymore (like 45+) you get made 'closed door', and find out some 'secret' applications.

Which are probably taught openly in some other art somewhere else. So you are now feeling really stupid because you wasted all that time, but you don't want to tell anybody because they will know you are stupid.

So you make somebody else go through all of that again ... and it repeats ...

(BTW a lot of time when MA teachers get defensive about apps to forms it's because they don't really know ... you are probably wasting your time if the teacher doesn't teach the apps and uses the 'closed door' excuse).
    Last edited by lunghushan; 02-09-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Back in the old days certain students who excelled or held special talents were favored by teachers and taught extra things simply out of favorism and or ability.
    Sometimes the student with the best ability would be considered a diciple and was choosen to take over the family art/style. This was considered closed door meaning that he was taught things that fellow brothers were not. or that what he was taught was only taught to him and never shown to other students that were not as faithful or trusted with these family secrets

In modern times this was taken out of context, and used against the student for profit, lack of knowledge and or just leading the student on ujnder promises and false pretences .
    In my opinon there is still and will always be favortism amongst teachers and certain students but no such thing as a closed door diciple.

in eight step on our logo it say secrets and techniques and for many years we saught out to learn these secrets from shrfu... then after many years you figure them out for yourself.... every jointlock has a counter...... all techniques can be interchanged, no techniques is neither offensive nor defensive etc etc.
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 02-10-2007 at 08:07 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

"Closed door" is another word for disciple. Discipleship has different levels on meaning depending on the teacher. Overall the only difference is the level of commitment and responsibility to said teacher. I am a disciple of my teacher, but he does not teach me "different" techniques or counters. He just expects more out of me. I am family now so I have certain responsibilites.
    If you are interested I wrote an extensive article about discipleship ceremonies in the Chinese Martial Arts. Check out my articles page at www.threeharmonies.com

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

great article Jake!
    I too am a lineage holder in our 8 step family and certain ceremonies as well as name sake given and branding are done. i think however that people use this term to openly and to mean way too many things. i even heard a strudent of serveral arts say he was a closed door student from 3 different teachers which is of course impossible.

So I think that hokfu was trying to weed out the truth of this term. but i could be total worng....And it is funny how when you become a lineage holder and the keeper of the all mighty secrets, the only secret I was told is pratice the basics more, this will tkae me to where i want to go...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

45+ cant fight ??? How dumb is that???? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Im turning 48 this year. Time to hire some additional bodyguards .
    ________
    chrysler airflite history
    ________
    Video reviews
    Last edited by seung ga faat; 04-29-2011 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks!
    It is not impossible to be a disciple of a couple different teachers. Inprobable, sure, but not impossible. Both of my teachers encourage me to train with different people.

Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Fast Food Kung Fu

Closed Door disciple nowadays doesnt mean anything. A lot of times it is someone who pays a lot of money to study a lot forms in a short amount of time. After a few months of training they graduate, get their masters certificate and open a commercial school. It use to be the rage in HK and of course has spread to North America and Europe. It’s like the fast food drive through of kung fu. Visit the school, check out the forms list and price list, choose the ones you want, pay your money, and the teacher serves you up.

In a traditional school it is simple. You train hard, train long, remain focussed and dont ask stupid questions. If you talk about wanting to study forms or becoming a closed door disciple in a traditional school the teacher will laugh in your face, kick your @ss, and then for the next week you will be the running joke amoungst your kungfu bretheren. Thats if you are lucky. If you are unlucky the teacher will never teach you again.

BBK
    Last edited by bungbukuen; 02-11-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    45+ cant fight ??? How dumb is that???? KC
    I guess you saw that a 70 year old Army vet killed a mugger in Costa Rica with a chokehold, didn't you?

closed door is bunch of crap.. my first teacher tried to pull it on us. no offense but its just used as a trick to get you to pay money... my first "sifu" (if you could call him that) would tell us how he knew "so much" and how great "he was" and how he wouldnt teach you 'such and such' for 20 years or more..

please...

If I pay I dont want to be teased.

I think teachers that have knowledge as such shouldn't manipulate their students... it really ticks them off.

I had a patient not so long ago that knocked a man down at a restaurant he was 90 when he did it KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

no difference

CONCERNING CLOSED DOOR OR OPEN MIND
    There is no difference. In America, you are the best because you respect people and they respect you and your actions dictate that you deserve what you have worked to achieve. Others places, you are appointed!

If you work smart, think fast, and train hard, you are halfway there!
    Writing a book and making a movie is an added attraction! ha!
    yeh, like the 70 yr old ex military guy in Costa Rica who had a open mind but a closed fist.

Post Missing the point with a shotgun

Gentlemen And Ladies

Consider the historic construction of the Chinese Household, The fort like qualities with its chambers and the strict confucian principles for protocol. The House complex had four walls and at least 3 Gates With a seperate house for each of the grown siblings and the largest for the parents. The Females were confined to the rear areas away from the public and used the rear entrance to the compound.

The front gate was for the Father and eldest son Along Side was a smaller gate for all other siblings. There might also be a servant gate, however sometimes they shared the gate with other siblings.

The only ones allowed in the back were the Ladies the Father and a husband of the younger females.

The only ones allowed in the inner home area were family.
    Closed door is not a mysterious outlandish phenom it is the act of gaining a family.

Becoming a member that is allowed in the inner chamber of the home trusted to respect the family and the confucian hierarchy within.

Truly age is the most important factor in the family along with maleness, following we have a breakdown of male after male until the youngest before the females (with the exception of mom.

Closed door is literally from the acceptance into the home as a family member thus lineage holder. Lineage is not based on who knows the most forms it is based on age respect benevolence love and loyality. Anyone that plays political harm to the family really is never part of it. It is completely anti Confucian to act in such a dishonorable way.