Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ginseng -- How much ?

Prolonged use of Ginseng

Anyone know if there are side affects or such from extended use of Ginseng?

If I injest it, say, twice a day (in pill form) every day - does this have problems?
    "The Wolf does not regard the barking dog"

Ginseng

Having checked my ever reliable book of herbs, its recommended that you take a two week break every two months. I dont know the exact side effects of OD on ginseng only that it is not suitable for those with high blood pressure as its a powerful stimulant (having high BP I wont touch it).

I hope this is of some help, maybe one of the other guys can throw some light on the side effects.

Cheers

Outcast

Outcast...

Thanx

Outcast...

Thanx

Ginseng

I wouldn't advise that Ginseng be repeatedly taken unless there is a prescribed reason for it i.e. internal cold/damp or Kidney deficiencies. Ginseng is a powerful stimulant but is alo a heat genrating herb which if there is already heat in the body it can add to it and causing too much heat. I found that after a spell of low energy i carried on taking Ginseng and it had effects upon my stomach causing bloating and distension and loads of belching caused by the unecessary heat it created. If you are not in need of it don't take it! It is a Yang herb and should be used to balance up the effects of a Yin complaint.

Thanx again

Thanx again. I have been getting WAAAAY too little sleep the past few months due to life things and have been using it to keep my eyes open (better than caffeine - I think) so I was wondering.

Overuse??!!

Thats hardly accurate that statement. Overuse of Ginseng does not not necessarily make you used to it at all. Where did you come up with that rubbish? Overuse of it, as it is a warming tonifying herb, can in occassions create too much heat and can even cause bleeding too if added repitively to a condition which already is heat based. People who have excessive conditions can be pushed over the dge if too much tonfication is administered, so this rather negates your over generalisation.

Heat

I does not matter at all if Chinese Ginseng isn't as warming, the fact is is that it is a Tonifying herb, therefore that alone can cause problems if someone already suffers fron heat conditions. The tonification will amplify the heat conditions and thus escalate it. The strength of it its heating properties is irrelevant in this case (partially).
    It is a Yang herb. Yang herbs are not always a good thing to use if someone has a full Yang condition.

WHAT!!???

You really don't know much about Chinese Medicine do you???? Of course you can use Ginseng if you're under 40, whoever gave that advice should be ignored in future due to being inept and uneducated. Anyone at all who suffers with Kidney Jing or Kidney Yin conditions can be prescribed Ginseng. People who suffer with Kidney Qi softness are more than likely to be prescribed with it too or Kidney Yin-Fluid overflowing conditions. I think its safe to say you haven't ever studied Chinese Medicine have you?

hhmm

I really don't mean to sound insulting but you sound rather mixed up!! It's never a good idea to mix different disciplines of medicine together unless you know their ramifications to a significant degree. Thats just asking for trouble. And your statement about being a naughty school boy and experimenting with Ginseng...so whats the deal there??? you can buy ginseng over the counter in most stores almost anywhere in the world. It's not a class A drug you know?!!

dont u go die on me man
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Talking

No way Bro! I'm going down swinging if I go down!
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Ginseng Help

Hey everyone,

I just bought some Manchurian Ginseng tablets (a friend of mine recommended them). Just a few questions for ya
    1.What exactly are the properties of Ginseng?

2. Are there any downsides or side affects to using them?

3. Do they have any affect on qi?

thanks in advance

One Finger Zen
    It's evident, my potential be infinite- The RZA

Western scientists are still researching physicians. Herbologists and oriental medicine, including TCM attribute over 5000 benefits/effects from ginseng.

In general western science has measured the following (incomplete, still researching) effects-

High source of vitamin C
    Thermogenic
    Stimulant

These are western science CONFIRMED properties. Other benefits are either still under research or have no equivalent in western science/medicine.

Thanks FngSaiYuk,

interesting properties.

do you take any supplements like this?

Peace, OFZ
    It's evident, my potential be infinite- The RZA