Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ginseng -- How much ?

Back when I lived in the Los Angeles area, I'd be able to get korean ginseng at a fairly good discount and munch on them like potato chips throughout the day. This was back when I felt at my physical and energetic peak.

Since then I'd try out some of the various pills that you can find in supermarkets, health & drugstores. Although there were similiar benefits, none of them FELT as strong.

Now I live near Wisconsin, so I'll be looking around for good deals on american ginseng (grown in wisconsin) and go back to munching on them like chips throughout the day.

NOTE: the older the ginseng when harvested, supposedly, the stronger the properties (and more expensive per unit). The ginseng I would munch on were typically younger than 6 years.

Cheers dude,

Nice to get others opinion and views on these things. Since it ain't too warm here in the UK i have to go to the local health store to get my ginseng. She warned me that it could give some people insomnia.

Is this true?

Cheers, OFZ
    It's evident, my potential be infinite- The RZA

Originally posted by One Finger Zen
    i have to go to the local health store to get my ginseng. She warned me that it could give some people insomnia.

Is this true?
    Well, it IS a stimulant... Back when I was in top condition I would sleep about 4 hours a night....

4 hours?!!

Holy Crap!

Didn't you even feel tired? I need to get a minimum of 6 hours a night to feel in good condition....

Re: 4 hours?!!

Originally posted by One Finger Zen
    Holy Crap!

Didn't you even feel tired? I need to get a minimum of 6 hours a night to feel in good condition....
    This was when I was in *TOP* condition. I was young, I worked out/trained 8-12 hours almost every day (sometimes I'd take a day off and train only 4 hours). My blood pressure was really low, akin to boxers/fighters when they're in intense training.

Now that I'm older and haven't trained in a looooong time (just started workingout/training again in the past 3 weeks), I need at least 6 hours to function, and ~8 hours to feel good.

Hahaha

Yeah sounds 'bout right

What age were you at when you trained this intensely? And what style of martial arts may I ask?

Peace, OFZ

This was between the ages of 21 & 24.

Martial arts style, I'd say in general, kungfuish, shaolinish, some internalish.

It's all ishish, 'cuz I learned from a few different people who were just basic instructors, not qualified masters. And I just trained really hard in the basics. I was also working out a lot in the gym (which I had been doing on and off for years since I started wrestling in high school) and running 5 days out of the week.

Man did it feel good to be alive back then! I'm sooooo striving to surpass that... perhaps after a few years of gradually increased training intensity. I'm not old yet, but I *AM* older... ::grin::

I have been told that it is not good to take ginseng constantly because the stimulant and warming effects can cause an imbalance. Like any herb, it should only be taken when needed.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by joedoe
    I have been told that it is not good to take ginseng constantly because the stimulant and warming effects can cause an imbalance. Like any herb, it should only be taken when needed.
    Or do what americans do and overcompensate by taking more herbs to balance the imbalance! Like dong quai and others!

Seriously though, if you eat properly and are healthy and well, you really don't need much in the way of supplements, that's true.

I munched on ginseng because of my heavy training, but I also took other herbs fairly regulary, as well as vitamin supplements and other weird things (kumbucha mushroom tea!).

The things you do in your youth... ::grin::

If you're really interested, you may want to visit an OMD or equivalent who can evaluate your body as a whole and prescribe what's best for ya.

Go to:

http://www.acupuncture.com/

-> Library > Chinese Herbal Medicine > Ginseng - A Guide for Consumers. This is a very good review of ginseng and how Asian and American ginseng differ.

Also:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/alt/ginseng_am_faq.htm

If you really want some herbal supplementation, a good Chinese herbalist can do wonders. Don't play around too much with potent herbs.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Some really good stuff here. I don't take much ginseng (manchurian ginseng) only 1 tablet a day in the morning. i'm going off on a limb here and assuming tablets aren't as potent as the herb itself yeah?

nice links looking_up, although it didn't say anything about manchurian ginseng- was the info on the sites for the herb?

Peace, One Finger Stabilises the Cosmos

Ginseng -- How much ?

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased some Ginseng & asked the clerk where I bought it a couple questions, how to make, etc. She recommended a crock pot- bring it to a boil, and put it on low for the rest of the day. But of all the things to ask, I forgot to ask how much I should drink when sick, etc.

Any suggestions? I'm new to TCM.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ban-Hou; 03-17-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Ginseng is not for drinking when you are sick. Ginseng is for when you are over the cold and want to tonify your body back to a better state of health.

FYI anyone under 35 does not need ginseng in the least.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Yeah, I've gotta agree with Dale... you don't want to drink Ginseng when sick. This can actually make the illness worse and drive the pathogen deeper internally. This is what we refer to as "trapping the robber" - you don't want to lock the doors to your house when a robber is inside.

Ginseng is used for people with fairly severe deficiency - cold limbs, fatigue, pale tongue, weak knees and low back...

One of my teachers said: "an ounce of meat better than a pound of renshen (ginseng)" - meaning that these tonic herbs were used traditionally to counteract dietary deficiencies due to the scarcity of meat in China.

But, a little ginseng can be good for you, especially if its the american ginseng - it's cool and sweet and generates fluids while tonifying the lungs and kidneys - much better for westerners who usually have a 'hot' constitution due to our lifestyle and diet.

peace,

herb ox

Thanks for the replies. I will definently keep that in-mind!
    Last edited by Ban-Hou; 03-17-2007 at 06:12 PM.