Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grading a bit worried

grading a bit worried

hello to all, i have just recently started training in Kung Fu and come the 25th of Feb. i have a grading to attend, however i am quite nervous and i'm worried that i will end up failing. what was the general feeling for other kung fu practitioners when you attended your first grading/competion, and how did you overcome the nerves.

Regards

Giuseppe

Hopefully if you have a good sifu then they will not let you grade unless they think you are ready.

The chances are for the first grading you won't be expected to do that much. If you have been given a copy of the syllabus then you should know what you will be graded on.

Ask yourself this. Do I know what is required of me?

Can I do it all.

If there is anything that you are still unsure of then now then speak up and ask your sifu or a senior to go over it with you and explain it blow by blow

On the grading day its self don't practice. If you don't know it by then, then you won't learn it on the day. Also if you start practicing on the day you will start questioning yourself and try to change what is probably right in the first place.

Above all else, what is the worst that can happen if you fail? If you do ask for feedback and improve upon it, then test again.

Don't see it as a test. See it as a chance to show off what you have learnt!

Michael

p.s. - I was sh1t scared the first time I graded.
    Last edited by laugarkuen; 02-12-2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: I can't spell

My wife gave me great advice one time before a test that I was nervous about. As I was walking out the door to go to my test, she said, "Have fun."

I thought to myself, "she's right, this should be fun, this is nothing to be nervous about. After all, I enjoy doing this stuff so why should I be nervous?"

So I'll give you the same advice. Just go and have fun.

You either know the stuff or you don't. If you do, great! If you don't, then there's always next time. Kung Fu is not a destination, it is a journey. Don't waste your energy being nervous.

Make your journey a fun one.

Good luck.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Sweating

I've been nervous before every one of my tests. I stay pretty nervous all day long, and by the time the test actually begins I've always got butterflies in my stomach and my hands are a little shaky. I'm not normally one for a nervous reaction to anything, but I guess this is what happens when I'm really passionate about something. Here's what I do:

1. Practice - long before test day you should practice the test by over and over. Do it at the same pace, do the same reps, do everything you can to replicate the actual test. If your sifu likes to throw in surprises (like mine does), then practice some of the things you think he'll throw at you. This way, when it comes time for the real deal you've already done any number of times. Sweat equity - you'll do better and you'll feel more confident.

2. Follow a routine - do the same thing on test day as you do every other training day. Stretch, warm-up, chat with your kf brothers/sisters before class, etc. Do whatever you normally do. After all, the test is really just another training day.

3. Relax. Every time you feel slightly nervous, try to focus that energy into being calm and relaxed. So, when you start to feel the butterflies, focus on breathing deeply.

4. Stay loose - When I'm nervous everything seems to tighten up. So I take a hot shower before heading to the school for a test. Keeps the muscles loose.

5. Abstain - no alcohol, no sex for two weeks before your test.

In reality, for every test (even when I didn't follow the advice above) I forgot about the nervousness within five minutes of starting. I don't know how difficult your test will be, but if it is anything like mine have been you'll be too busy struggling to breathe or straining your muscles or ignoring the pain to worry about nervousness anymore.

Good luck.

don't be afraid of failure! it's a great teacher!

practice and try not to worry so much.

you'll succeed just by getting through it!

good luck.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Everyone progresses at different rates. If you're not ready and fail the test, then you just need more experience. Try your best, there's nothing to fear. Have fun with it, and remember what your master says.

Here's a tip though; If more than one guy is being tested at the same time, don't look at him/her as an example, because they could be very, very wrong.

Abstain - no alcohol, no sex for two weeks before your test.

Reply]
    Why no sex? I have heard this for as long as I can remember, but in all honesty, I am stronger, faster, more flexible and have greater endurance if i have been laid right and propper reacently...maybe because I am Italian?

Does anyone else feel like this, or do the rest of you actually get weakened by sex?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

sex will weaken your performance if it is done the night before.

just go out and have fun. its your first grading your teacher shouldnt be looking for much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

thanks to everyone for all the advise, (i'm also glad i'm not the only italian on here) as far as i'm aware of my sifu is putting me through my grading, i do know that i will be doing kicking sequences, Blocking sequences and punching sequences, which are all demonstrated by a senior and then we have to follow suit with the same movements, after those sequences i have to do my form which i already know and my application which i also know. i suppose with it being my 1st ever grading i cant help but being nervous.
    P.S thanks again to everyone to make me feel more at ease.

Regards.

Giuseppe

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    but in all honesty, I am stronger, faster, more flexible and have greater endurance if i have been laid right and propper reacently
    So you're saying you are basically the girl in your relationships?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 7starstudent View Post

5. Abstain - no alcohol, no sex for two weeks before your test.

I agree with everything but this. Sex relaxes your muscles so you are loose the next day. When I use to compete and had a GF, I would knock it out the night before. Always felt refreshed and better the next day. In one of my black belt test, I knocked it out the night before and that morning. Managed to perform flawless during my 4hr test.

I say knock it out before or if you don't have a significant other, rub one out yourself.

Alcohol is a definite no-no. You will drain your body of fluid and you will feel like crap. Do abstain for a week or so prior with that one.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    So you're saying you are basically the girl in your relationships?
    yes he is saying that i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

no sex is a myth.

retention of semen is a myth.

if you let it out, testosterone will build and give you even more umph in the morning.

that's antiquated thinking right there and there is no actual evidence that it is true.

just pointing it out.

p.s people used to believe for certain that the world was flat.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Giuseppe_S View Post
    hello to all, i have just recently started training in Kung Fu and come the 25th of Feb. i have a grading to attend, however i am quite nervous and i'm worried that i will end up failing. what was the general feeling for other kung fu practitioners when you attended your first grading/competion, and how did you overcome the nerves.

Regards

Giuseppe

Think of it as your graduation night and you will be fine

David J

I usually almost always agree with your posts however i this case I total disagree.
    From a TCM standpoint sperm the essence and vitality of man is very important for sustaining energy and strength. This fluid is a major part of the kidney and liver functions. It is essential for certain types of training to withhold ejaculation fro several months. There is a qigong pratice that actually teaches you how to orgasm without ejaculating cool to impress the chicks and you can do it over and over wihtout losing well you know... but anyways I have studied many years to eventually to become an O.M.D and ejaculation comes up in almost every topic of accupuncture and qigong.
    i.e
    Kidney Yang deficiency causes low libido, weak ejaculation, impotence, seminal emission, low sperm count, slow motility.. etc etc

Kidney Yin deficiency causes seminal emission, slow mobility, low count, thick sticky semen from Heat &/or lack of fluids,

Liver Qi stagnation
    Liver meridian blockage in the local area (genital) makes it difficult to ejaculate, related with impotence and low libido,

Qi and Blood deficiency
    worry, over-thinking, stress, chronic illness, impotence, low sperm count, short sperm life, slow mobility,
    so while the newbie might not notice withholding your manhood will improve nerves, increase strength and mantain proper blood flow..... so before a fight or test in this case dont cum for a week. tell your wife or GF its her turn for a change ...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."