Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLF monkey form

CLF monkey form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7xQLZhWA-A

is it CLF or is it some other type of form.
    Decent performance tho
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

It's Choy Li Fut, both the Jiangmen and King Mui lines have monkey fist.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Never seen any monkey sets in CLF before. That looked like a contemporary wushu form to me.

This is a choy li fut monkey form. The individual performing this is an instructor from the Doc Fai Wong School in San Francisco. This was performed during Chan Heung's (founder of Choy Li Fut) 200th birthday celebration banquet in JinagMen city in Guangdong China.
    Cheers,
    MK
    Hung Sing Kung Fu Studio - Chinatown Branch
    724 Commercial Street
    San Francisco, Ca 94108
    email: hungsingclf@comcast.net

“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” - Buddha

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    First time I've ever heard of CLF having a monkey form & since when have CLF players actually mimicked the movements of animals in our forms, using the principles as found in the five animals yes but actually pretending to move like an animal.
    I also find it interesting that the form is not listed in the Chan family list of forms.

I have never heard of any monkey Choy Lay Fut either. Does anyone know any details about this set?

Mano:

Actually the Chan Family does list it as part of their 10 animal forms. I read somewhere that Chan Yong Fa was good at this set as it fit his body. It mentioned his grandfather Chan Yiu Chi as teaching him the set. They also have a Monkey Pole set (not Hung Jeh Pang/Kwun).

I am with you about the mimicking and honestly this set does nothing for me. The guy doing it seems okay but the set itself doesn't interest me.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 02-13-2007 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Mano:

Actually the Chan Family does list it as part of their 10 animal forms. I read somewhere that Chan Yong Fa was good at this set as it fit his body. It mentioned his grandfather Chan Yiu Chi as teaching him the set. They also have a Monkey Pole set (not Hung Jeh Pang/Kwun).
    Interesting. Do you know if the set in the video is the same one the Chan family lists?
    Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    I am with you about the mimicking and honestly this set does nothing for me. The guy doing it seems okay but the set itself does interest me.
    I don't know. I think the set is cool looking and mimicking aside, it looks like there is some useful stuff in there. I agree with you about the performer. He seems to move well.
    Last edited by The Xia; 02-13-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Hou Ying Kuen is Hou Ying Kuen, whether it is done exactly like the Chan Family set I don't know, its not a form that is taught that openly from what I've gathered.

As far as the set having useful stuff that is debatable as there isn't much there to watch.

Personally I find the whole mimicking concept just for show, why do you need to act like and animal or act drunk. People know that you are not a monkey and not drunk so do you really think someone has a fighting advantage acting this way?

If a techinque is good it should work no matter how you act sober, drunk, like a monkey, crane, snake, etc.... To me the spirit of the animal is what is more important and that is what most CLF animal forms will do, embrace the spirit more or less while using CLF core techniques. We don't act like a tiger or panther or crane.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 02-13-2007 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I know what you mean. That's what would lead me to guess this set is more for show. He did throw some strikes though and the agility required to do that form can't hurt. That's really what I saw useful out of it. I guess I look at this in a glass half-full kind of way.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.

I am with you about the mimicking and honestly this set does nothing for me. The guy doing it seems okay but the set itself doesn't interest me.
    I may be wrong on the list.
    Hou Ying Kuen is Hou Ying Kuen, whether it is done exactly like the Chan Family set I don't know, its not a form that is taught that openly from what I've gathered.

As far as the set having useful stuff that is debatable as there isn't much there to watch.

Personally I find the whole mimicking concept just for show, why do you need to act like and animal or act drunk. People know that you are not a monkey and not drunk so do you really think someone has a fighting advantage acting this way?

If a techinque is good it should work no matter how you act sober, drunk like a monkey, crane, snake, etc.... To me the spirit of the animal is what is more important and that is what most CLF animal forms will do embrace the spirit more or less while using CLF core techniques. We don't act like a tiger or panther or crane.
    I couldn't agree more with you

Mano:

I remember talking via email/forum with Howard Choy and he told me about the monkey sets that they have fist & pole. I was asking about Hung Jei Pang at the time and about the translation of the words. So call it Monkey King Staff while others translate it having to do with a pilgrimage of a monk, so its more of a monk staff.

Peace.

There is Monkey in CLF

Our school just held a seminar on the CLF monkey - I unfortunately missed it so I'm vague on details but it is there.
    "To know you don't know is best.
    Not to know you don't know is a flaw.
    Therefore, the Sage's not being flawed
    Stems from his recognizing a flaw as a flaw.
    Therefore, he is flawless."

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    I have never heard of any monkey Choy Lay Fut either. Does anyone know any details about this set?
    How's your Chinese?
    http://www.plumblossom.net/PhotoAlbu...uiscripts.html
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

monkey what???

I have an issue of Black belt magazine from 20 years ago that has Doc Fai Wong demoing a monkey pole, which aside from the facial expressions he made in the pics was essentially the same as the double endded pole my sifu taugh me (which he learned from a northern mizong lohan sifu)

as for this vid, the performance was okay i guess. There just wasn't much there. I only saw one CLF technique maybe two in the whole thing. My freind Sifu Sharrif from Yee's Hung Ga in NY recently put some cool Hung Ga monkey footage up. He is preforming lau Ka Lueng's monkey set, and while it emphasises the acting it also contains high level fighting theory. Check it out!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=1601181474

I hope the unabridged version of this form is a little more substantive??
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"