Thread: random thoughts about choy lay fut and shaolin temple history...

random thoughts about choy lay fut and shaolin temple history...

oral history states that two of chan ong bak's students ( Cheng Si-Leung 鄭士良 and Chan Siu-Bak 陳少白) helped sun yat san's forces during the revolution against the qing. in addition, Fong Yuk Shu (student of chan koon pak) helped sun yat san as well (and later became a wanted man and fled to Singapore for a while before returning to Canton).
    i just realized that chiang kai shek initially assisted sun yat san before succeeding him, and as i understand it (correct me if i'm wrong), it was chiang kai shek's forces that burned down the shaolin temple in 1928.
    what was the relationship between chiang kai shek and the warlord Shi Sanyou?

thus, in an ironic way, the very art that grew out of the ashes of 'northern and southern shaolin temple destructions' possibly helped facilitate the redestruction of the northern temple.

any thoughts?
    Last edited by oasis; 02-13-2007 at 10:05 AM.

Actually Jiang Jieshi (Chiang Kaishek) was sent to oust Shi Yousan from the area in his Northern Expedition, but Shi decided to take refuge in the shaolin temple (I've heard he knew the head monk as he was a local boy, but I'm not sure on that), so they had a huge battle and at the end of it the temple was set alight by Shi Yousan and burned for something like 40 days.