Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
I was commenting on your post #31 or at least in relation to the direction the discussion was going.

Fighting with and without gloves is very different. You'll break your hand if you attempt many punches unless you've got really hard hands.

The difference in UFC gloves and boxing gloves is huge in what you can and cannot do.

I agree with Golden Arms that two skilled opponents with no rules is going to be over very quickly...that is if they train with that mindset.

There are types of training that make systems for street and for ring different. Although a ring fighter may train to end it quickly but still have the gas to go twelve, it is not life and death if it doesn't end quickly.
Ring fighting, in terms of minimal rules, will allow a practioner to take the sparring element of martial arts to the most realistic level. I suppose it is a means, but there are many things, such as fighting on the ground that I would not advocate in reality unless I had backup standing...not to say one should not know what to do to either avoid or deal with the ground situation.
that response was in response to the techniques he mentioned. All of them can be done while wearing gloves - I was referring to ufc gloves. the fights would end no faster. Bare knuckle, I still don't think they would end faster, but yes, the tactics and preferred striking areas would change. Going to the ground is sometimes an advantage. If I am fighting someone who is a better striker than me, or is just a big, pain-loving guy and is hard to take down with a strike, you may be better off taking him down. It's all situational.

sure, there are types of training that make training for ring and street different, but from what I've experienced in real life and read on these forums, I really don't think it would make a huge difference in the performance of a tma guy and an mma guy on the street. I'd be interested to hear what specific training would set it apart though. What do you guys do?