Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: punching with rings on?

punching with rings on?

ok not the most serious of threads. so i`m not looking for absolutely concrete answers. i was just thinking about the chance of really messing up your hands if you had to punch someone wearing rings.

ive seen some guys train with wedding bands on. i also imagine strikes like backfist and chops woudnt change. i could however see a superbowl ring breaking your finger upon hard contact. thoughts?

If I had rings on and I remembered that I had 'em on, I'd use 'em to claw and gouge more so than strike.

CSP
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

they can do more damge to your opponent then you might care to do.
    everyone can get into a fight and get punched and shake hands the next time they see one another.

However if you get hit in the face with a ring it can tear the skin, cut badly deform and leave scars permanatly.

so you may want to think about this instead of what it can do to the rings.
    If you have to set someone straight one night it should'nt end up in a lifetime scar on their face, plus there are law suits and revenge to think about.

I saw a kid get hit and cut by a ring in a bar fight when I was bouncing, you know that bars are local hang outs and the same people come back night after night.... well the kid who got cut up waited a few months then came back and cut the other guy with a straight razor and shouted as he was cutting now you can look at your face everyday and remember me M.F

So take them off before you fight is my suggestion to you...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Rings can be nasty undercover self defense tools. Go back a few pages and I have a post which showcases some rings.

oooh good point. not sure if the simple band type i`d go for could actually cut. but you never know. if you are voluntarily involved in a fight there should be time to take them off.

ive hit the heavy bag with my wedding band on before with no worries.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    the only reason to take them off before a fight is if they would injure YOU, not the other guy. If you are worried about inflicting too much damage to your opponent, then obviously, the stakes are not that high, and You shouldn't be fighting at all in that respect.

ten tigers you said.....
    the only reason to take them off before a fight is if they would injure YOU, not the other guy. If you are worried about inflicting too much damage to your opponent, then obviously, the stakes are not that high, and You shouldn't be fighting at all in that respect.

I disagree but then I am older now and speaking from a teachers point of view perhaps I had a differnt point of view when I was younger.

However we all must realize that we practice and train in self-defense. This means you protect yourself from harm and use reasonable force to do so.

I watched a kid get his head stomped in the sidewalk 4 times after he was already unconscious. I dont think that was necessary to defend yourself. Nor do i think that cutting a persons face is the best way to hanfdle a situation, unless of course it is a life or death situation then anything goes, but really how fights are life and death? most of them are form ego's woman and alcohol. i know i have done security for over 20 years.

Law suits and facial scars pay and cost big money. I wouldnt want that on my conscious for the rest of my life just to say I won a fight....
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "most of them are form ego's woman and alcohol"
    in which case, we as Martial Artists, should not be fighting.
    We try to avoid conflict at all costs. If you can't talk your way out, then walk away.
    If you can't walk, run
    If you can't run, then fly. But if it is your head that may be curbed stomped, do what ya gotta do. Which would you rather be?
    (btw, I am not advocating wearing rings specifically to maul someone, and I know plenty of people who do. I am speaking strictly of a him or me situation)
    that being said....http://www.donrearic.com/engage.html

http://www.alhambra-shop.de/shop/eng...iker_rings.htm
    pretty tacky stuff right there...

wow, the ones in those links are a bit much. i`m just concerned about not breaking my hand. luckily i live in a city(tokyo) where there is almost no fighting outside of gyms. at least not with fists.

I got punched in the face with a ring in the street once and it opened my cheek up quite dramatically. Luckily it only left a miniscule scar.

If you wear big rings it will deform your hand and mess up your fist.

My wedding ring is a simple band but I take it off to train as it is sharp enough to tear.

Where do you train Neit, and what kind of 'pole'?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Mr. Punch, I train at "Fortis Shibuya" gym. Not far from the station.

I don`t study any pole/staff/cudgel officially yet. I do however practice some single-head and double-head pole that I had learned before. All I know is downward strike and a coiling motion. The reason I have included it on my profile is that it is my ideal main focus of study, should I have the chance.

Freaky!!! I was having a discussion about this with my bf at the weekend.I wear a couple of large rings,that could certainly inflict damage if I were to punch someone whilst wearing them,but we concluded that it may injure me more.
    As a woman,if I got attacked,tried to punch someone (which would be unlikely as I would prefer to run away,but that may not be possible) and I injured my hand,I wouldn't be able to attack or defend myself again properly.

Thing is I dont always think "Oh Im going out now I must take my rings off" ,so not entirely sure about that one.I try not to put myself in dangerous situations in the first place,I dont walk through town at night on my own etc,but yes it may happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Su Lin View Post
    Freaky!!! I was having a discussion about this with my bf at the weekend.I wear a couple of large rings,that could certainly inflict damage if I were to punch someone whilst wearing them,but we concluded that it may injure me more.
    As a woman,if I got attacked,tried to punch someone (which would be unlikely as I would prefer to run away,but that may not be possible) and I injured my hand,I wouldn't be able to attack or defend myself again properly.

Thing is I dont always think "Oh Im going out now I must take my rings off" ,so not entirely sure about that one.I try not to put myself in dangerous situations in the first place,I dont walk through town at night on my own etc,but yes it may happen.
    More damage from blocks than from punches. I figured out the first time I had to have a ring cut off my finger to not wear them while training. (I was just a kid, so it was a dinky little fashion ring, thank god) As a young Jar head, I got to see one of my sargents' fingers peeled like a banana when his wedding ring got hung up on a weapon's rack. (sturty ring; didn't give).

You want to scare up an opponat's face? Use your finger nails. That, al least, could be called self-defence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Becca, thats gruesome.

I hate rings, man. I've been fighting my girlfriend over that issue for the past year. She insists I wear one when we get married, but I refuse. I'm not looking to cheat, I just know I'll lose it, cuz I'll have to take it off every day to train. Man, can you imagine the **** that would raise, losing a wedding ring?

And my girlfriend is mad scrappy, dude.....

Martial arts don't do jack when you've got a ****ed off female slapping you...and all you can do is say "I'm sorry!!" as you get whacked back and forth. You catch her hand mid-slap, and she only gets angrier, like you just assaulted her!

I remember I caught my mother's slap one day when I was in high school.....two seconds later she had me in a one-handed chokehold up against the wall, and I was like twice her size.

Women are a trip........they've got the devil in 'em....