Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wa Lum Army Sword (aka horse cutter)

Wa Lum Army Sword (aka horse cutter)

I have a couple of rusty spots with this form and it's driving me nuts. Does anyone have a vid of it or something? Or if not then maybe we can talk about the parts that I'm having trouble with and it might bring my memory back.
    Always learning

What are the areas in question? Do you have the "crawling on the ground" in your form? I only say crawling because I do not know how else to explain that part. And I have video.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Yes, I have the crawling on ground but I think that's called "Advancing on enemy behind cover" or something like that. It's like you're in a battle and you have to avoid arrows and you're behind a wall or something.

There's 2 parts that I've been fuzzy on for a long time now because I can't remember exactly how it goes. After you get up from crawling you cut one direction, then again, cut and end in horse stance facing right, "poke", block high, cut low into a low ladys stance. It's the next 3 or 4 cuts before the repetitive circle blocks and cross stepping back that I'm fuzzy on. I've just been addlibbing for a while now.

I'm also a little fuzzy on just how to go into (for lack of a better phrase) stabbing the horses belly. That's when you do the stab stright up.

This is a chalanging form to discuss with the written word and so I'm really hopping that your vid is on utube or something. Thanks for responding. D
    Always learning

I never learned that set but I might have it on a video tape. Hopefully Jim can help you out since I really don't want to search through my tapes for it.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

This kid is kind of gauky but the form is right as best as I remember it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQSzaxRAuFo

Yao Sing, are you as unorganized as I am with video? I`m trying to put some things together for a friend in New York State, and with my schedule the way it is, this is going to take forever! I`m very busy with CNY right now, but will get back on this immediately after. With the help of students and my wife, I hope to be able to provide video of such forms and posting Pong Lai material on youtube (and my website).
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Thanks for putting that vid up. It made me realize that over the years I somehow had skipped a cut or 2. Please keep it up for a while as I intend to practice that form tonight and tomorrow.
    Always learning

shuaichiao, now that I've been going over that vid I'm realizing that either that's a different version, although very close, to the one that I learned or I'm way further off than I realized.

I've been doing it off and on for many years without correction and large gaps in my practice so it's most likely me.
    Always learning

Quote Originally Posted by Donkwoon View Post
    shuaichiao, now that I've been going over that vid I'm realizing that either that's a different version, although very close, to the one that I learned or I'm way further off than I realized.

I've been doing it off and on for many years without correction and large gaps in my practice so it's most likely me.

It wouldn't be the first time a wah lum form got changed around.

It's completely different from the one I learned, but I'm glad it helped you out if that's similar to the one you know.

- CS

Hi,

I am not a wah lum guys, but is this form not on the 4 legends on kung fu video. (Bendan Lai, doc Fai Wong, Chan Pui.....) I think the video is available from Shen Martial arts and they also sell it on ebay.

Paul

Thanks, I've been meaning to pick that vid up one of these days and now I have another reason.
    Always learning

Hi Paul,

the army sword and the nine-ring long handle broadsword are two different weapons (although they have basically the same blade), so the forms are also different.
    The one showed at the Living Legends Video is the basic nine-ring long handle broadsword form.

what's in the living legends video tape? what's it about?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Dude View Post
    what's in the living legends video tape? what's it about?
    It's basically a demonstration of 4 different kung fu masters. It discusses their styles briefly and shows several forms from each. It also has a demonstration of some applications from each master except Chan Pui.

It featured Chan Pui, Branden Lai, Adam Hsu, and Doc Fai Wong. Originally it was one long tape but later they split it in half and put Chan Pui and Branden Lai on one tape and Adam Hsu and Doc Fai Wong on another.