Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know anything about this school?

Does anyone know anything about this school?

Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Maybe Mas Jdut can tell you more as he also knows the area, but I met one of his Cobra Kai Kung fu guys in Roselle, he had a school there.

I was not impressed but I don't know anything about Gangi himself. If you take a look at the site and his bio it seems a little.....well.......odd.

But he may have some serious skill, I have no idea. I think you could find better, just by checking out the website I would stay away. I do know he has been around a long time.
    Last edited by Black Jack II; 02-16-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Actually the Cobra Kai is master Steven Abbate's club. He does some sort of vietnamese snake style if I remember right? I don't know much about Ganji though. He does not sound like he is describing a Kung Fu system to me.

I am just curious as to what it is he does, and if he's any good or not (From other's who have experiance). I have been aware of him as long as I have been in the Chicago MA scene, but I don't know anthing about him.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Actually the Cobra Kai is master Steven Abbate's club.
    Yep, but I think there connected bro. Go look at the Gangi website and you will see the Cobra Kai style under his bio. I think that is where maybe Abbate picked it up.

Maybe I have that backwards. Maybe Gangi got it from Abbate?

Abbate origianlly learned from a master he met in Chicago's China town. Ganji had to have gotten it from him. I think they all have ties to master John Tsai as well. I know Abbate does at least. I am not sure where Ganji fits into the picture. Untill I checked deeper into his site just now, I did not know they were connected at all, other than being in the same over all generation of Chicago MA's.

For the Women:

+ = & a

cjurakpt Guest
    lemme get this straight:
    1) it's a Chinese style developed in Okinawa and Japan in the 1800's and was taught in Japan by a Chinese teacher in the 1950's (by a master "Wong", no other names)

2) it's historically a "closed door" system, yet somehow an American army serviceman gets a letter of introduction to study

3) they call it kung fu (sory, gung fu), and swing around dan daos, but they wear gi's and use Japanese ranking and terminology

anyone else's BS meter going off?

cjurakpt Guest
    BTW, Kobra Kai was based in Reseda, California, and as far as I know Sensei Kreese is no longer actively teaching...

anyone else's BS meter going off?

Reply]
    I'm just ask'n questions here....

For the Women:

+ = & a

i saw okinawen and kung fu on he same page and i closed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Check out the profiles. Some of those senseis are pretty light in experience.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

BTW, Kobra Kai was based in Reseda, California, and as far as I know Sensei Kreese is no longer actively teaching...
    LMAO!

The school does scream bs big time.

Which ones are light on experiance? I saw most of them with 5 + years on them.

Four of them had 15-30 years experiance in that system.

And yes, the ones doing 3-7 years are light weights compared to my 18 years, but there is no reason one can't teach at that point, especially if they have the gift to teach.

Does anyone have any direct experiance with this school? Other than the annoying Chinese wannabe use of Gung Fu when they are clearly some sort of Japanese system, are they any good? Do they have a reputation, if so, what?

For the Women:

+ = & a

I don't know why people get so iffy with the japenese uniforms. Who gives a sh!t.
    what you train in.

Real or not, it states this system was developed in japan, so you could see the influence there if they wanted to answer that question.

If you want to see if they are any good, go get a free lesson or two Royal. Only thing I know is that Gangi himself has been around a long time.

That little GIF of the grandmaster in his profile. He was doing an American Kenpo defense move. Block, eye gouge, grab groin and pull, step back into a guard.

I would say this is just another kenpo system offshoot. Also seeing how they hold their weapons and the stances they pose in, this is definitely not CMA.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I was gonna defend the concept of kung fu on Okinawa. To say that you should check out some closed door Okinawan Goju, that it looks a lot more like Ngo Cho Kuen than most of the stuff in mainstream media here, but then i saw:

"GUNG MAO GUNG FU was developed heavily in Okinawa, Japan in the mid 1800..."

Okinawa wasn't "part of japan" (read: japanese occupied) prior to around 1880 or so; mid 1800s is stretching it.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting