Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UFC Rules and Regulations

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    there has been one death. It was in a show in some country, maybe in europe, I can't recall. But, the guy died from repeated head trauma. I guess the ref didn't stop the fight soon enough.

EDIT: I just checked google. Douglass Dedge was his name. The fight happened in ukraine.
    Man...I know Thai Boxing isn't MMA....but they have plenty of deaths each year...some even in professional bouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post

Just curious....if you have vid links....please post them. Or at least name some names....

Thanks.
    Orlando Weit fought in one of the first UFC's. I think he won his first bout and got KO'ed by strikes on the ground in his second fight.

I've got to disagree with KF on that note. If I know one thing, it's how vulnerable our spines our, especially near the back of the neck. A shot to the neck can be fatal, especially with something as powerful as an elbow strike coming straight down. Even if it's not fatal, it can cause major damage which will immediately affect both one's mobility and motor functions.....as well as one's concious faculty:
    What leads you to the conclusion that these types of blows can be fatal? How many deaths have you seen from this?

Strikes to the spine and back of the neck are a major tactic of BJJ and have been legal in vale tudo matches in Brazil for over 50 years. Not only have there been zero deaths from this, but there have been no serious injuries.

I've seen Renzo land massive elbow blows on the back of the neck and head to opponents many times without knocking them out, which is why it was very strange that he was "KO'ed" by those two knees from Shamrock.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 02-22-2007 at 08:54 AM.

People die or get paralyzed from neck injuries in many ways from lesser blows. Again, ref. to Todd Bertuzzi, for convenience since it was so prominent in the news a couple of years ago. It wasn't that bad of a punch, but it paralyzed the guy.

At the base of the skull, the neck is very vulnerable. Maybe people just aren't hitting the right spot. If you're on the ground, you won't get the power or accuracy necessary, unless you're on top, and the guy's lying face-down. I'm thinking, someone shoots, I sprawl, get his head on the mat, and then drop a bow on his neck near the base of the skull.

KF....what was the relative body position of the Gracie 'bows you're talking about?

That strike in BJJ would be when the BJJ guy has his hooks in and the other guy is flattened out....no escape really but you also cant put hip power in those type of shots because of the pin.
    Also in street encounters the most dangerous blow is not directly from the strike but when the person hits the pavement and their head whips back and cracks it.

Hmmmm.....

KF....what was the relative body position of the Gracie 'bows you're talking about?
    Yeah, back mount with the hooks in.

People die or get paralyzed from neck injuries in many ways from lesser blows. Again, ref. to Todd Bertuzzi, for convenience since it was so prominent in the news a couple of years ago. It wasn't that bad of a punch, but it paralyzed the guy.
    Paralysis, or in some cases death, comes from a type of force to the head that causes the neck to bend and twist. Striking straight on to the spine or back of the head will not do this.

http://ejmas.com/jcs/2004jcs/jcsart_landa_0804.htm

"After all, Ultimate Fighting is probably no more dangerous than boxing, where known risks include subdural hematoma. A properly located strike to the head (or a series of less accurate blows) can cause tearing to the bridging veins that connect the brain and the sinuses that carry blood away from the brain. This condition is thought to be the most common cause of fatalities in competitive boxing (6) (7), and is a risk in other contact sports as well. "

"Most of the time, subdural hematomas occur around the tops and sides of the frontal and parietal lobes (University of Vermont; Wagner, 2004). They also occur in the posterior fossa, and near the falx cerebri and tentorium (Wagner, 2004)."

That means, injuries mainly to the top of the skull......hard blows to top of skull, or back of skull, that is....but still no mention of necks.....

"On February 16, 2004, during a Vancouver-Colorado game, player Steve Moore injured Vancouver Canucks team captain Markus Näslund with a hit to his head while Markus Näslund was reaching for a puck ahead of him with his head low. Markus Näslund suffered a minor concussion and a bonechip in his elbow as a result of the hit. The attending referee did not call a penalty on the play. The hit was later reviewed by the NHL and no suspension or further discipline was administrated to Moore. This drew the ire of many Vancouver Canucks as their captain was sidelined with a concussion for three games. Canucks head coach Marc Crawford publicly criticized the non-call by the referees on the incident.

During another Vancouver-Colorado game three weeks after the Naslund hit, on March 8, 2004, Steve Moore fought Matt Cooke in the first period. Late in the third period, Bertuzzi began following Steve Moore down the ice attempting to instigate a fight. When Moore ignored him, Bertuzzi punched Moore in the side of the head. Bertuzzi grabbed hold of Moore's jersey and their momentum carried the two entangled players to the ice. At this point, Moore's Colorado teammates retaliated against Bertuzzi, jumping on the prone Moore and Bertuzzi. Moore suffered three fractured vertebrae in his neck, a grade three concussion, vertebral ligament damage, stretching of the brachial plexus nerves, and facial cuts."

This website makes it seem like I had it wrong, cuz it sounds like it happened in the fall. But if you watch the vid, (I was watching the game at the time, and they replayed it 50 friggin' times), Moore drops like a rag doll after that first punch....he just goes limp, from what I remember.....I'll see if I can scare up a youtube vid here sooner or later.

From "striking" entry on Wiki:

"Targets for the palm heel include the temples, nose, jaw, chin (mandible), shoulder (to negate punches), solar plexus, back of the head and neck, kidneys and the wrist/feet/knees when blocking. The palm heel strike is a fairly blunt weapon not to be advised for small targets on the body such as the spinal veratbrae. For instance, a chicken wrist strike would be more suited to striking the 7th vertabrae."

Still don't see what effects people are talking about.....trying to find verification one way or the other, or why the UFC would ban it if there were no effect as KF concludes.

Still don't see what effects people are talking about.....trying to find verification one way or the other, or why the UFC would ban it if there were no effect as KF concludes.
    Most UFC regulations have been for political ("it looks bad") rather than medical ("guys are getting hurt") reasons.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

when you need a good weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Yeah, back mount with the hooks in.

Paralysis, or in some cases death, comes from a type of force to the head that causes the neck to bend and twist. Striking straight on to the spine or back of the head will not do this.

Hi,

I bought a good bow here:

grozer bows

When you nned recurve bows, look at this site as well:

kassai bows

this is english/deutsch as well.

Regards, Peter

featherweight title defense postponed due to covid

Mixed Martial Arts: Volkanovski tests positive for COVID-19, UFC title defence postponed

Sat, March 20, 2021, 11:33 PM·1 min read

FILE PHOTO: MMA: UFC Fight Island-UFC 251

(Reuters) - Alexander Volkanovski's featherweight title defence against Brian Ortega at UFC 260 has been postponed after the Australian said on Sunday he tested positive for COVID-19.

Volkanovski's fight with Ortega, originally scheduled to be the co-main event on March 27 in Las Vegas, will be rescheduled due to COVID-19 protocols. The UFC is yet to announce a new date for the bout.

Volkanovski, 32, said he tested negative before leaving Australia and before entering the UFC bubble but returned a positive result in the latest round of testing.

"So devastated to share that I've tested positive for COVID-19 and my fight is off and will be rescheduled," he tweeted https://twitter.com/alexvolkanovski/...68080592986119.

"We have worked so hard getting ready for this fight and I'm absolutely gutted this has happened. We followed every policy and process to remain COVID free but it wasn't meant to be this time."

Volkanovski (22-1) has been the featherweight champion since he defeated Max Holloway at UFC 245 in December 2019. He also beat the Hawaiian in a rematch at UFC 251 in July 2020.

(Reporting by Manasi Pathak in Bengaluru; Editing by Kim Coghill)
    threads
    UFC-Rules-and-Regulations
    covid
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart