Thread: UFC Rules and Regulations

Threaded View

UFC Rules and Regulations

CMA guys constantly catch flack for the "What would you do if...." questions that MMA guys are throwing around, especially concerning groundfighting. I recently made a very brief foray into the BJJ world, but quit due to a bizarre "lucky punch" type of incident that caused some drama there. Despite that, I knew the sport wasn't for me, and what I mean by that is: I didn't enjoy it enough to dish out $150.00/month of my meager annual pay to train in something that isn't as enjoyable and fulfilling to me (even in a non-martial sense) as CMA. But this thread isn't about that.

Then I read a book by Sam Sheridan, and he mentioned how UFC fighters and MMA fighters are basically fighting to kill. When someone got knocked out or choked out, or submitted, the victor basically has the knowledge that he could have killed his opponent. He made a good argument, and I bought it for a while....but reflection on some of his other comments seemed to undermine it.

For instance....did the Gracies play a big part in setting up the UFC and getting its rules hammered out?

If so, that would certainly make it seem geared towards favoring groundwork. Personally, I think groundwork is very adaptable and effective. But it has its weaknesses, too. My brother "sucker-kneed" a purple belt that shot in to do a double leg takedown. He didn't knee him on purpose. He just flinched, like a pussy. The guy was furious.....but it made me think about its efficacy. An out of shape guy in his late twenties flinches and sucker knees a purple belt in the forehead, and rattles his brain. Was it a fluke? Or is a design flaw in the takedown? Do UFC rules compensate for flaws?

I checked the UFC official website for the rules on UFC fights, and they are as follows: as listed by http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules

Fouls: [Top]
    1. Butting with the head.
    2. Eye gouging of any kind.
    3. Biting.
    4. Hair pulling.
    5. Fish hooking.
    6. Groin attacks of any kind.
    7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
    8. Small joint manipulation.
    9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
    10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
    11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
    12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
    13. Grabbing the clavicle.
    14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
    15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
    17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
    18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
    19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
    20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
    21. Spitting at an opponent.
    22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
    23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
    24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
    25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
    26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
    27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
    28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
    29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
    30. Interference by the corner.
    31. Throwing in the towel during competition.

That's a lot of rules, man. Many of them are to groundwork's advantage. There are some great strikers who succeed in the UFC (W. Silva, being one). Yet, many of the rules protect a prospective shooter going in for a takedown. For instance, no knees to the face during a shoot, or downward elbows to head or spine when they "shoot" or "dive" in. You can't use the environment. It's just a pen.

So, I'm going to turn the tables a little bit. What would MMA guys do in these situations? How would you counter them? If the opponent uses "Timidity" to his advantage, and doesn't strike wildly off-balance because he doesn't have to, and there's no scoring involved, how would you defeat him? How would you deal with a big elbow coming down on your spine during a take-down? Some of those blows it doesn't take much to do real damage. I'm thinking Todd Bertuzzi NHL sucker punch from four years back.......so you can't really write it off and say, maybe it'll just hurt....

This isn't a flame post. IF anything, I'd like to know if there is a counter to these illegal strikes in case I ever need them. The more respectable MMA vets around here refer to MMA as sport fighting. Is it because of hte rules, or what? Is MMA really self-defense, or just street fighting?
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 02-18-2007 at 12:23 PM.